PDA

View Full Version : Epic Gaiters? $$$ to replace!

didgery
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
I got a pair of Epics for my mule's front hooves after saving up for a long time—I have a virtually nonexistant tack budget, but the boots have allowed me to ride on gravel roads and reach trails that were out of my range before. I absolutely love them, but I'm frustrated at how quickly the gaiters have worn out. I only ride once or twice a week, and I've had them about a year—maybe 60 or 80 rides. They are TRASHED. I attempted repairs with strong embroidery thread and nylon patches made of old automobile seatbelt fabric, but they are beyond salvation. I'm going to have to replace them, and it looks like it will be about $50 to do the pair.

That's life, I suppose, and it's still cheaper than shoes, but . . . do they really wear out this quickly? Am I doing something wrong? Can I find a way to make my next pair last?

I have a pair of size 0 Gloves that I can't use (accidentally got the wrong size) so I hope to find a way to trade them for Epic gaiters. Can anyone point me towards a good buy/sell/trade website? I know there was one, but I've forgotten it . . .

Thanks!

Painted Horse
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
One of the reason I gave up on Boots was because of how often I had to repair or replace parts on the boots, Especially the gaiters. It's just part of maintainence of boots.

I found I spent more money on boots that just shoeing my horse. Saving money is NOT a reason to use boots.

didgery
Mar. 30, 2011, 06:42 PM
Gotcha . . . thanks for the reply!

Trinity3205
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:31 PM
Eh, I get about 2 years out of a set of boots. I also dont have to use them every ride tho and I clean them well after a ride. Accidents happen tho and Ive had gaiters destroyed at times for various reasons. I like to look for used boots on Ebay and CL tho and save money like that. I also buy out of the bargain bin at Easycare where older boots are half price. If you can find your size its a real cost saver also.

At 100 bucks or so a shoe job every 6 weeks, I CERTAINLY have saved money!

leslie645
Apr. 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
If you google used hoofboots itbrings up the site you wanr