PDA

View Full Version : Do I update the "For Sale" ad?

Celese
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hello all -

I'm selling a horse for the first time in my life, so need some advice on this.

Mare is for sale on an Internet ad. Mare gets some interest via e-mails, but I have yet to have anyone ask to set up an appointment to come see her (this is a crappy market for selling). This past weekend, Mare takes a spill during turn-out. Her right hind is a little swelled and scraped up, but the vet came out and said it's all superficial, and should heal nicely. She's just a little stiff on it right now due to the swelling, so is not in work.

So, should I update my For Sale ad disclosing this info? Or should I just tell people about it if they decide to make an appointment to come see her? Or....???? Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. :yes:

TIA

shawneeAcres
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
I would not put information like this on an ad, as this is a superficial injury that should not cause permanent damage according to your post. I would disclose it if someone calls, tell them what the vet has said and that you will be happy to set up an appointment once her leg has healed.

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think I'd change the ad either. If she heals quickly, you may be needlessly steering people away that may end up calling a little later. If someone calls now, then yes, just explain it over the phone, or via email if they are serious. Often times you get a bunch of "tire-kickers" anyway. Good luck with the sale, and the healing!!

callie208
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
I agree, dont change the ad. Horses get scraped up, and do silly things in the pasture all the time, and most horse people know this. I would just make sure to let someone know, once they have contacted you to make an appointment. you don't want to surprise them either!

equestrianerd
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
I agree. If someone expresses interest in seeing her, explain the situation (and postpone a viewing if she needs time to heal). I'd also consider offering the vet's contact info in case they wanted to verify the superficiality of the injury (though most horsepeople ought to understand!). If it were going to take a long time to heal, or affect her soundness, disclose it, but this sounds like just a scrape. It happens.

Celese
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks so much! I appreciate the guidance. :yes:

Kryswyn
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't change the ad. If it's that superficial, if I did have someone call to come and see her, I might be going on vacation for the next 10 days. Once they've seen a sound horse, you can explain any remaining hair loss as a pasture boo boo. I wouldn't disclose anything until they've seen and ridden a sound horse and expressed an interest in setting up a PPE.

Some may say that's borderline unethical, but I disagree. First because according the the OP's vet, the injury is no big deal. 2d, if I'm looking for a horse, and over the phone someone tells me there's been a minor injury, I hear INJURY and either take the horse off my list or move it to the bottom of the list. Finally, you can say minor boo boo, but when the prospective buyer tells the story to someone else, it's 'man we drove all the way there to find the horse had wiped out in the paddock, boy was I pissed.'

Giddy-up
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:36 AM
Don't bother changing the ad for a superficial injury.

We were going to look at a horse. Of course that day horse gets kicked in turn out & is off. We still went & saw him (owner had called us). Told owner to call us when sound to be ridden cause we liked what we saw. Week later owner calls to say he looks good, we went back & ended up buying horse (after riding, PPE, etc..).

If people should call during this time, just be honest. Explain horse injured in turn out, had vet out, not serious, some time off & then back to work. Offer to call them when horse returns to work so they can come try.

fordtraktor
Mar. 29, 2011, 11:13 AM
Would not change the ad, would just tell anyone that inquires that you need to schedule any trial for the following week b/c she roughed herself up in the paddock and needs a couple days off.

In a week when she is fine, you will no longer need to say anything. If they ask where the scrapes came from, you can say a pasture boo boo with no serious result. If they ask about past lamenesses, I would tell them she had a couple days off due to a pasture mishap that was confirmed by the vet to be superficial.

I always permit my vet to tell them the horse's complete history/anything they want to know/records/etc., so they could confirm with the vet if they had any concerns. That's not typical but I think it is good practice. It makes people more comfortable with the horse knowing what they are going to get, at least they will know as much as I know. I am a chronic overdiscloser, though, I want to make sure people are happy with their horse.

Sugarbrook
Mar. 29, 2011, 11:38 AM
I agree with everyone else. No updating.

kelsey97
Mar. 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
I second the consensus: don't change the ad.

The horse I currently own stepped on her heel being silly in the pasture the day before I tried her. The seller told me beforehand, and as soon as I arrived removed the vet wrap and showed me the cut on her heel and the chunk missing from her hoof where the shoe was ripped off. She was ouchy, but not lame, so I waited a week tried her again, did a PPE and bought her. No biggie, they are horses after all ;)

Celese
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
Wow - Thanks a lot everybody! It's great to know that the consensus is the same. And the examples from people of horses they ended up buying despite a silly boo-boo are very much appreciated!

Mare's swelling is already coming down, so I'll have to see if she can start back to work this coming weekend, or if I want to give her a little more time off. Thanks again everyone! :yes: