PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina horse shopping - Where is everyone?

StorybrookeFarms
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
Alright. Relatively new to the area and where I came from not only did we network through our local trainers but we advertised the SNOT out of our sale horses. So what gives NC? It's either green as grass or old nags. And let's not talk about ridiculously over priced! *sighs*

At any rate, I'm in the process of searching for several clients and I'm only finding horses/ponies that are 5 - 6 hours into VA. My question to the fellow NC'ers... where/how are you marketing? Are we simply lacking anything decent in this state? I'm getting very frustrated as I've exhausted the usuals: bigeq, dreamhorse, equine, equinehits, contacted the local trainers, etc. Looking in that $12K or less range so H/J Exchange doesn't have much.

Help? TIA.

shawneeAcres
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:32 PM
I market everywhere and we alwyas have some NICE HORSES in that price range! You have never come to my farm, but we are very well known to represent our horses accurately and honestly!

SimonandGus
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
:lol: There are plenty of decent horses in NC, you just aren't looking in the right places I suppose. NC can be a little dry in some areas depending on what you are looking for, especially for some of the rated divisions like pony jumpers and a few others. I would try contacting some bigger trainers because often in addition to show horses, they will have a wide selection of horses available that they know about. Networking is the way to go in NC I think. =)
Good luck!

alteringwego
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:35 PM
lots in Tryon area.

potterma
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:23 AM
Depending on where in North Carolina you are, my best friend trains for a farm in Chesapeake, really close to Moyock I believe. She has a few nice ones for sale in your price range and also knows more people in the area with horses for sale. Their website is http://www.riverrunfarm.biz

FlashGordon
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:29 AM
PM EqTrainer.

magnolia73
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:39 AM
Cathy Schwartz in Landrum SC (near Tryon) sold me my horse. She seems to have a lot of nice horses priced right and is easy to deal with. You might call her and see if she has any leads. http://www.smokeyhollowriding.com/sales.htm It doesn't look like she has many right now, but its probably worth a call- she might know of some.

FairWeather
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
what in particular are you looking for?

Kryswyn
Mar. 29, 2011, 01:30 PM
Contact FairWeather! Please @@ (and while you're there, get one for me!)

whbar158
Mar. 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
It really seems like it goes in waves with what is for sale. Sometimes there are nice going steady horses for sale, sometimes more green horses, sometimes only mediums, sometimes only larges. Sometimes tons of not so fancy but steady ones good for first ponies/horses then other times more pretty nice but green horses out there. It also feels like what I am searching for is at a void (I do a lot of online searching for my friend there). About 6 months ago looking for a small steady cute horse (didn't have to be fancy) there were tons that looked kid ready, now doing the same search and can't find hardly anything. Go figure.

Again what are you looking for? I know quite a few people who have some horses for sale, that are not up at the moment because they just went up for sale or ads have expired recently.

Jleegriffith
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:02 PM
I also second contacting fairweather (coth handle) aka Allie Conrad from CANTER MA. We have so many lovely horses located in NC (Southern Pines and Cameron). These are well started Tb's that have been out trail riding, started over fences and have nice flatwork.

Right now there is a super cute mare who is a chestnut with 4 whites and a blaze who is beyond adorable and super quiet. I sent one from my farm who is a 16.2 h gelding with 3 high stockings and a big blaze who is also a lovely horse.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 29, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm in Southern Pines and I know of several trainers who always have horses for sale.

Have you scoured Southern Pines? Some of the bigger names are just getting back from Fla, but their horses might be higher priced than you are looking for?

But there are a lot of smaller agents/trainers here, too.

Careswell
Apr. 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
My advice to you is to avoid people you hear about in this forum. Most of them spend so much of their time in Virtual nothingness that they have no real grasp on whats going on in the show circuits. There are always super nice, well bred horses around here for sale but NONE of them will you find on any chat room forum. Real trainers don't take time to mess with the internet much and would scoff at discussing their horses in this forum. Try going to some real shows, meeting the trainers and getting to know them. I think you'll be surprised at how much there is out there in the "real" world.

BaroquePony
Apr. 21, 2011, 11:27 PM

headsup
Apr. 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
I don't agree that everyone on here just sits in front of the computer all day and has nothing useful to add. There are a number of trainers in Raleigh and Southern Pines that have nice horses for sale that aren't big names but do a good job. Try calling McNairs in Raleigh, many times they have students selling and they don't advertise a lot. Ginny Reilly and Annie Moore are towards Wilmington and also sometimes have students selling. Melissa Jones Sarle is near Wake Forest, Apex Equestrian is in Apex, Merilee Ventura is toward Southern Pines, Vicky Autry is in Greensboro, Karen Bruce is Greensboro area as well. All good trainers and easy to work with. Much of buying and selling in NC is networking....I was there for years. Atlanta also holds some options if you don't find what you need in NC.

EqTrainer
Apr. 22, 2011, 02:06 PM
:lol: PM me if you want the story, no cuckoo icon available.

I would add Robin Tinney, Jen Barry and Amy Hazzard to that list, and I think Quail Roost has some school horses for sale. I dont buy/sell anymore but thanks anyway FG :)

theoldgreymare
Apr. 22, 2011, 03:29 PM
My advice to you is to avoid people you hear about in this forum. Most of them spend so much of their time in Virtual nothingness that they have no real grasp on whats going on in the show circuits. There are always super nice, well bred horses around here for sale but NONE of them will you find on any chat room forum. Real trainers don't take time to mess with the internet much and would scoff at discussing their horses in this forum. Try going to some real shows, meeting the trainers and getting to know them. I think you'll be surprised at how much there is out there in the "real" world.

Your overuse of the world real is amusing. If by "real trainers" you main those that maintain a steady lesson/training program and show on a regular basis then yes, they are most likely not putzing around on the internet BB's all day. THEY might not be posting on BB's but perhaps people who have trained with them, or previously purchased horses from them, ARE and know of available horses that might suit another posters needs. To suggest that a trainer's name who is mentioned here is one to be avoided is just ridiculous.

shawneeAcres
Apr. 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
Your overuse of the world real is amusing. If by "real trainers" you main those that maintain a steady lesson/training program and show on a regular basis then yes, they are most likely not putzing around on the internet BB's all day. THEY might not be posting on BB's but perhaps people who have trained with them, or previously purchased horses from them, ARE and know of available horses that might suit another posters needs. To suggest that a trainer's name who is mentioned here is one to be avoided is just ridiculous.

Gosh, glad to know I am not a "real" trainer and my horses and students aren't "real" since I post on this BB!!! :rolleyes: I guess all those ribbons in the tack room aren't "real" and the horse show I got up at 5:00 this AM to go to wasn't "real" either. Oh yes, and all those horses on my sold page of my website also aren't "real". I enjoy (for the most part!) posting here, because its a bit of a distraction usually when its nasty weather outside. Of course, been too busy the past few days doing all those things that aren't "real" like teaching, riding, clipping, braiding and getting ready for that "not real" show, oh yeah and will be back at that "not real" show Sunday afer I pick up some "unreal" hay for my imaginary horses! :lol:

PaintedWhisper
Apr. 22, 2011, 05:57 PM
:lol: PM me if you want the story, no cuckoo icon available.

I would add Robin Tinney, Jen Barry and Amy Hazzard to that list, and I think Quail Roost has some school horses for sale. I dont buy/sell anymore but thanks anyway FG :)

Jen Barry moved to Arizona about three months ago.

piaffequeen
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:04 PM
My friend Caroline Atherholt has one for sale. Not sure what she is asking for it. She is in VA in Eagle Rock-its about 4 hours from Moore County. Her phone is 540-960-1307-best bet is to text her.

EqTrainer
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:19 PM
Jen Barry moved to Arizona about three months ago.

Awwww.

Tegan301
Apr. 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
What I have found since moving to NC (which is great for the most part) is that there is not a great network of people either in "free publication" form or online! When I lived in Maryland I picked up The Equiery from local tack shops from it's first year of publication to now....everything equine was listed there and their website is updated continually. We need a similar publication in NC.

SAV

Gosh, glad to know I am not a "real" trainer and my horses and students aren't "real" since I post on this BB!!! :rolleyes: I guess all those ribbons in the tack room aren't "real" and the horse show I got up at 5:00 this AM to go to wasn't "real" either. Oh yes, and all those horses on my sold page of my website also aren't "real". I enjoy (for the most part!) posting here, because its a bit of a distraction usually when its nasty weather outside. Of course, been too busy the past few days doing all those things that aren't "real" like teaching, riding, clipping, braiding and getting ready for that "not real" show, oh yeah and will be back at that "not real" show Sunday afer I pick up some "unreal" hay for my imaginary horses! :lol:

BaroquePony
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
Posted by Saralange:

What I have found since moving to NC (which is great for the most part) is that there is not a great network of people either in "free publication" form or online! When I lived in Maryland I picked up The Equiery from local tack shops from it's first year of publication to now....everything equine was listed there and their website is updated continually. We need a similar publication in NC.

Well, there are (have been) lots of publications that start up and then run for anywhere from one year to four years and then, poof, they're gone ....

Except for the online nchorsenews.com, which is a nightmare :yes:.

Unfortunately there are also some of the nastiest horsewomen this side of the Mississippi running around with Daddy's money, and one must learn to avoid them.

ETA: there are also some decent ones, but they are usually a bit quieter until they get to know you.

dani0303
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:22 PM
I've got a few up for sale on Equine.com and on my (not updated, can't figure out how lol) website www.kirkpatrickfarm.com

Edit: Oops, didn't read for comprehension. Apparently I've already been in contact with the OP.

Carry on

theoldgreymare
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:39 PM

Shawnee......read the post I quoted. I never said that trainers that post here are not "real trainers", I was commenting on someone else's post. I said that those that had steady training/showing programs "are most likely not putzing around on the internet BB's all day". No where did I say that "real" trainers do not post in internet BB's. Sheesh.... Interesting that my post pissed you off but the post I quoted, which all but called people who post here a bunch of hacks, did not.

shawneeAcres
Apr. 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
Shawnee......read the post I quoted. I never said that trainers that post here are not "real trainers", I was commenting on someone else's post. I said that those that had steady training/showing programs "are most likely not putzing around on the internet BB's all day". No where did I say that "real" trainers do not post in internet BB's. Sheesh.... Interesting that my post pissed you off but the post I quoted, which all but called people who post here a bunch of hacks, did not.

No, I am SORRY, I wasn't quoting you that way I was AGREEING with your post. Sorry it came across that way!!! I was agreeing with what you said and quoted it that way. Sometimes it's hard to get your idea across on the internett, the ORIGINAL post hacked me off, just as you seemed to think sorry again!!!! Edited to add: I am SO tired I was up at 4:30 to haul three horses to a show and had four students there and just pooped, so I guess I didn't quote this the right way. Need to get to bed......

theoldgreymare
Apr. 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
I thought I was losing my mind for a minute and maybe my post didn't sound the way I intended. OK, we're all good!

BaroquePony
Apr. 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
That post hacked me off too. I edited my shoot-from-the-hip reply last night :yes:. I was too tired to play nice.

FlashGordon
Apr. 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
LOL what a weird twist this thread has taken, that's COTH for ya.

kinnip
Apr. 23, 2011, 08:59 AM
If you're willing to drive to Athens, GA, Maple Shade Farm has some very nice horses. She's about to move, so she may be willing to make a deal. Her website is mapleshadefarm.net

EqTrainer
Apr. 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
LOL what a weird twist this thread has taken, that's COTH for ya.

You have NO idea... i couldnt make this stuff up if I tried... Do you remember my sociopath/stalker thread LAST year? Need I say more? :eek: if I do, PM me :lol:

shawneeAcres
Apr. 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
Sorry I was so incoherent last night and not paying attention to how I was posting! Long show days do that to me in my old age! LOL As far as publications etc go, I don't find advertising in them to be at all effective. I get more business from word of mouth and my own website. So many times someone calls or emails as they either have bought from me previously and were happy so wanted to contact me when they were looking for a new horse, or someone they know bought from me. Sometimes I have what they are looking for, soemtimes I don't, but I will always try and point them to someone else that may have something suitable. In terms of the OP, I contacted her several times about horses I had available that fit her criteria, and never did hear back from her (prior to this post being put up).

AnotherRound
Apr. 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
You have NO idea... i couldnt make this stuff up if I tried... Do you remember my sociopath/stalker thread LAST year? Need I say more? :eek: if I do, PM me :lol:

Link, please.

onelanerode
Apr. 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
Link, please.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263513

I do believe that's it ...

Darden
Apr. 28, 2011, 01:32 PM
Storybrooke - Carone Stuckey has a nice TB Gray Mare in your price range About....16.1hhish, has a change, good mind, sensible, no spook. Winning ribbons in the baby green divisions. Contact information at Hedgeandturf.com. Look for the North Carolina information (they have a farm in Michigan as well).

alteringwego
Apr. 28, 2011, 06:38 PM
Corone is a very nice lady and good reputation.

KingstonFarm
May. 3, 2011, 09:55 PM
Check this website out for warmbloods sales in NC: www.ncwarmbloods.com

imissvixen
May. 6, 2011, 09:32 AM
There are definitely nice horses in NC but you have to dig around harder to find them. The market isn't large and it is also somewhat seasonal. But if you expand your search into VA, SC, and possibly GA the options get a lot broader. Remember, north to south, NC isn't really that big. Driving east to west is a whole different story.

OveroHunter
May. 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
I live in GA, but in the middle of the quarter and paint horse world. We do have a QH gelding for sale that moves as well (if not better) than most of the warmbloods I know. IMO, they generally have a better mind and handle kids better than warmbloods...