PDA

View Full Version : Stooopid ? of the Day

2DogsFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
I frreely admit to being a girlygirl when it comes to most things mechanical.
So:

I am trying to mount new saltblock holders in my stalls.
I found black cabinet screws at the hardware store & thought that would look good as the holders are black enamel. Yeah, I know matchy-matchy...
I got 1.25" screws.

However:
When I got the screws started, they would not go all the way into the wall.
OK- part of the problem may be my cordless drill needed a recharge, but is there a reason I might need shorter screws?
I did start the holes with a drillbit smaller than the screws, but they stopped about 1/2way in.

Go back for 3/4" screws?

kinnip
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
How thick is the wood you're driving them into? If they aren't going to protrude through the opposite side, what you've got is fine. Charge your drill, then check the top of the drill, you'll see a switch labelled "1" and "2". You want it set to "1". Also make sure the chuck is set properly. There should be a setting marker that looks like a screw, turn the chuck to that setting. Your pilot hole might also need to be deeper. If you get stuck while you're driving the screws, you can back them out a bit and then forward some more.

HPFarmette
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
In my old barn, it is impossible to put and screws in without drilling a pilot hole first. The older oak gets, the harder it gets.

sk_pacer
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
You sure you didnt hit something like a nail, a bolt or a plate? even hitting a knot in the wood will stop a drill bit or a screw with a cordless dril and sometimes a 'real drilll. But you dont need that much screw to hold a salt block holder - neither it nor the block is that heavy.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks All you mechanically-minded COTHers :D

Stalls are oak, and boards a pretty thick, at least 2"...

kinnip: TMI!
I promise I'll look at my drill's settings, but honestly I just know how to turn it on & off, change bits & reverse it.

I may have hit something - although it didn't feel like that. Or I may just need a deeper pilot hole.
I know 1.25" was overkill, and will probably spend another $1+ & back off to 3/4" screws.

kinnip
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:20 PM
Two caveats: Don't push too hard, you'll shear off the screw. Back out and try again when you get stuck. If you're going to buy new screws, buy some that are for outdoor use. You can still find black ones, but they'll be coated not painted. The salt and water will eat right through most indoor screws.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:32 PM
Two caveats: Don't push too hard, you'll shear off the screw. Back out and try again when you get stuck. If you're going to buy new screws, buy some that are for outdoor use. You can still find black ones, but they'll be coated not painted. The salt and water will eat right through most indoor screws.

Did that - stopped drilling as soon as the screws stopped turning.
I'll look for the outdoor screws - doesn't really matter if they're black or not.
& that's probably what happened to the screws I put in 7 years ago for the old holders:
rotted right off at the head!

horsefaerie
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:00 AM
A few drops of dish soap on the screws before you screw them in can work wonders.

Let us know how it goes.

HPFarmette
Mar. 29, 2011, 01:35 PM
It wasn't a stupid question...:winkgrin: