PDA

View Full Version : vaccine requirements at the track

Cheval Gris
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
I just got an OTTB that was last at the track in Jan 10. Just wondering about the vax requirements as I am doing his spring shots with no vax history. Curious about some of the vax I am giving needing boosters, but depending on what is required I may not need to booster all. He was at Charlestown, Meadowlands, Philadelphia Park, Monmouth Park and Atlantic city. Not sure if it matters where they were or if everyone has the same standards.
Thanks!

brightskyfarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
Those are questions that should have been asked when you were negotitating his purchase.

That information should have been included in his bill of sale sale /contract.

I would have a talk with your vet saying you dont know his history and go from there. Each area if different for needing certain vac's as precautions.

I would get back to the person you secured the horse from and ask them these questions too.

Laurierace
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:53 PM
Many tracks don't require any. The ones that do require a vaccination only require flu/rhino.

Delaware TB
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:59 PM
You could ask the person you got the horse from, but if the horse was in the claiming ranks, he might have been in several barns over the last year. If he was mine, I would go ahead and do my routine vaccinations. I don't know how much of a problem West Nile is in your area. I would see if I could pull a titer to determine prior vaccinations of WN, or go and do the complete initial series.

Cheval Gris
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thank you for that info! If all most tracks require is flu/rhino then I will probably go ahead with all. I bought him from a seller who did not vax him at her barn and I only have contact info on his coggins from PA where he came from. But I do have the vet info on that so I suppose I could all that vet for records. I live in SC where West Nile is a must.

danceronice
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'd just get them all done. Won't hurt, might help, and he probably hasn't had regional-specific ones done (rabies, WNV, etc.)