PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Give Your Mares Who Show?

EAY
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:04 AM
Do you give your mares anything during the show season to minimize moodiness or even just to avoid the inconveniences (like a soaking wet stall) associated with their cycles?

supershorty628
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
Nothing.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
Nothing.

kellidahorsegirl
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Nothing.

EAY
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:42 AM
If possible, for those of you who select "other" could you please elaborate?

Also, I was thinking of editing the poll to add vitamin/mineral supplements, such as B1 or magnesium, but couldn't figure out how to edit the poll.

Spud&Saf
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:59 AM
Raspberry leaves.

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
Regumate if needed, although nothing is preferable. Unfortunately I have been blessed with uber biotches- squealing, squatting, drama queens of mass proportions.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:20 PM
You could have a sterile marble inserted in the uterus. That usually stops them from cycling for about 3 months. I believe it is the larger one - about quarter sized? You have to do it just as they go out of heat.

Skeezix
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Nothing.

Burgie
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
RelaxHer - Valerian Free.

accidental cowgirl
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
raspberry leaves

Plain Jane
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:50 PM
Another 'nothing'!

smileyrileyxoxo
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
For the mares at my barn, it depends... Most of them get nothing but we do have a few snarly ones that get regumate...

luchiamae
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
Heavy duty everything for my 14.2hh mare :( Horse shy, warm up ring-itis, spooky as all hell and comes into season when the wind changes direction.

CBoylen
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Regumate if needed, have had some that needed it and some that did not.

RelaxHer - Valerian Free.

The Valerian free still contains a bunch of testable ingredients, just FYI.

Burgie
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:59 PM
Oops - miswrote. She is on Relax Blend - Valerian Free (not RelaxHer)

She goes in to heat just because, she is witchy, and super spooky when in heat, etc. Going somewhere with lots of activity is setting her up to start her period. :)

What else 'tests' in the ingredients? A number of people had suggested it because (according to them) it doesn't test.
http://www.myfineequine.com/relax1.htm (Scroll down to VF)

*Note, I've not shown her since starting this - many thanks to the money sucking divorce process.*

CBoylen
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
What else 'tests' in the ingredients?
Vervain, chamomile, and hops.

mypaintwattie
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
raspberry leaves- it just takes the squealing, squirting, flirting down a notch.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:27 PM
raspberry leaves- it just takes the squealing, squirting, flirting down a notch.

I am kind of shocked at some responses. I have only had one mare boarded here that would squeal/squirt etc at a fence post. ALL the rest have needed to be actually presented to the stallion, or an occasional strong gelding, nose to nose, for at least a few seconds to tell if they are in heat or not. Not something that ever happens unless we directly are teasing them. None have ever shown any signs just being in the same arena being worked, and that even goes for mares that have been live covered in the past.

findeight
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:29 PM
Out of 3 mares, two got nothing. The other often got nothing the first couple of years but sometimes needed depo. We switched to Regumate March thru October. Because it was more consistent, took any guessing out of it and did the job.

I tried several of the others, including rasberry leaves and they did nothing for that particular mare.

And that particular mare had an awful time with transitional estrus in March and April and 10 times worse in late Sept and October. No squirting or squatting, just moody as hell and not fun to be around. Mid winter she was a loving lap dog. More like an enraged pit bull in those months.

Believe it or not, being around stallions at the shows sometimes? Nothing. But she'd get herself into a snit in a heartbeat.

Wayside
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:35 PM
My mare gets nothing, but she's always been pretty consistant under saddle regardless of her cycles. Complete hussy out in the pasture, but she's all business as soon as you catch her. And so far her daughter (4) is the same, thankfully.

My trainer has two mares that tend to be a little more dramatic about their cycles under tack, and she's had good luck with the mare magic (raspberry leaves).

JUMPERROUND
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
Oh my, my first thought is whatever she wants! Love her but she is a DIVA

RyuEquestrian
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:35 PM
In a barn full of mares, we haven't had to give anything yet.

ET's Home
Mar. 29, 2011, 07:37 PM
Nothing - mare actually gets quieter when in heat, mostly just tighter in the back and less willing to move forward (well more than usual). long hacks, no collected work those days.

mrsbradbury
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:16 PM
I voted for Regumate. We have two out of nine using it. The other seven recieve nothing.