PDA

View Full Version : Helmets with shadbelly

grzywinskia
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
So I've decided to forgo my desperately uncomfortable top hat for a helmet with my shad. Wondering what helmets people think look best with a shadbelly. I have been using my Charles Owen black and gray helmet with my hunt coat for dressage and show jumping but wondering if there is a better solution. I don't want to spend a fortune (like $500) for one though!

Thanks for your opinion!

snoopy
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:51 AM
WHY buy another? If it worked for your dressage coat then it is perfectly acceptable with your shad.

Highflyer
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
I would go with plain black with a black shad or plain navy with a navy one, but I'm not a fan of the skunk helmets to begin with :). But I think most brands look fine, and I would never spend anywhere close to $500 on a helmet when there are so many cheaper options.

Ltc4h
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:26 AM
I never bought the tophat & have always ridden w/ my CO plain black cover.

scubed
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:45 PM
I like the microfibre CO helmets.

yellowbritches
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:00 PM
I think the GR8s are by far the classiest looking of the ones I've seen with shads. I wore mine (black and grey) at the Plantation CIC* in the fall (because my top hat blew off my head in my first canter depart in warm up) and I thought it looked nice. Sadly, no pics. My shad is black.

caevent
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have a Charles Owen Hampton: black velvet, calfskin harness. I think that's the most traditional look you can get. I've seen a few riders in the ring with their shadbelly and then a super modern, vented, colored helmet, and the two looks just don't seem to match!:o

*Trinity*
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm in Canada, so I won't be giving up my top hat quite yet. However, my helmet is black and my shad is navy - can I pull this off without looking like a fool?

SevenDogs
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:28 PM
However, my helmet is black and my shad is navy - can I pull this off without looking like a fool?

Yes!

A little off topic but relevant -- I was in a store bemoaning what color shoe to wear with a navy suit. The Ferragamo rep happened to be standing near and told me that black is the appropriate accessory color with navy clothing, and Ferragamo does not manufacture navy shoes, handbags, and accessories AT ALL. I now confidently wear black shoes with navy. If it is good enough for Ferragamo, it is good enough for me (and you!).

Moral of the story, any combination of Black/Black; Navy/Navy; or Black/Navy is good. If anyone disagrees, tell them to take it up with Ferragamo!

...and to the OP: Good for you choosing to wear a helmet. You will look great, regardless of what style/color you choose.

gottagrey
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have a Charles Owen Hampton: black velvet, calfskin harness. I think that's the most traditional look you can get. I've seen a few riders in the ring with their shadbelly and then a super modern, vented, colored helmet, and the two looks just don't seem to match!:o

agree!

A little off topic but relevant -- I was in a store bemoaning what color shoe to wear with a navy suit. The Ferragamo rep happened to be standing near and told me that black is the appropriate accessory color with navy clothing, and Ferragamo does not manufacture navy shoes, handbags, and accessories AT ALL. I now confidently wear black shoes with navy. If it is good enough for Ferragamo, it is good enough for me (and you!)

is that the reason it is nearly impossible to find Navy shoes ?

SevenDogs
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
is that the reason it is nearly impossible to find Navy shoes ?

YES!!!!!! :lol:

That's exactly the question that the rep overheard me asking.

clpony
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
:)

good for you!
agreed that black is completely appropriate for navy, at all times.
although i love navy more!