PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for this trailer?

PuraVidaEventing
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm considering-somewhat-selling my trailer to upgrade to a bigger trailer w/ a gooseneck. But of course, I need to know what I'd be able to get for my trailer first! I've searched some ads online, but I was wondering what you guys think.
It's a 1995 4 star 2 horse trailer, a bumper pull. It's been very well maintained and lightly used for most of the 5 years I've owned it. It looks nearly new other than the hitch which is a bit rusty (but the majority of it has been recently replaced. It's very safe and usable, just rusty). It has a big front tack room as well as a back tack.
What would you pay?

sketcher
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:04 PM
How rusty? I have a utility trailer with a rusty hitch. One of these days the thing is just going to seize up. If it is really rusty it may not be worth the headache unless you plan on having it replaced.

PuraVidaEventing
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:09 PM
Not too rusty! Although we may replace it on our own soon just in case. Most of the parts have been replaced, just not the entire thing.

horsefaerie
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:19 PM
Where are you located? Makes a big difference in what sells.

PuraVidaEventing
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:36 PM
I'm located in Southern California.
Although I may take it to the Seattle area if that makes any difference in how well it sells.

mvp
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:41 AM
So, 2H with or without a dressing room?

I think you have a pretty nice trailer there if you have a DR and it's 7'6" or taller. I also like those without mangers. The rust on the hitch is to be expected. You can/should have the jack oiled and you can replace that. You can also oil the hitch's hinge and replace the spring that helps it pop open if those seem sticky. The rest of the rust I would consider cosmetic.

I dunno, I'd say $10K.

Here's my "comp."

I bought a 1999 C&C 2H BP with DR in CT about 5 years ago for $9500. C&C was a spin-off company of 4-Star. The quality and design are similar-- both great. This guy had used his trailer about 6 times. He power washed it inside and out. When he was trying to sell, dealers offered him about $8K. He had paid $13.5K new.

I wouldn't sell mine for less than I paid in part because anything I'd replace it with would cost so much more. I have maintained mine really well. But many buyers who didn't want a top brand-- 4-Star, EBY or similar-- would think I was nuts. Most dealers will tell you that private sellers like me overvalue our trailers. That is probably true. But these are simple vehicles. If you maintain them, the year of manufacture doesn't matter in the way that it might in a car.

I don't know about SoCal, but I think you could find lots of tall, DR BP trailers of various brands around there for $8K or so. That might be your competition. Unless I really needed to get out of this 4-Star, I'd ask top dollar and wait for the person who appreciates what you have in that trailer.

deltawave
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
With a dressing room? $5-6K, tops

Without? $4-5K

If you're not in a hurry to sell, you can add a thousand. ;)

Did a LOT of price comparison when I sold my old Sundowner, and sold my (IMO fairly priced one) within days because I asked about $2K less than what comparable trailers were listed (and not selling!) for. Worth some research at Horse Trailer World.

Pcostx
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
For ANY truck and trailer questions I would recommend going to Horse Trailer World.

Check out the trailers for sale for pricing info.

You can search the forum or post a new question. You will get great information from folks that are professional haulers and KNOW horses, trucks AND trailers.

I've learned a ton there.

Here is the link or you can just search Google/Yahoo, etc:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/newhome.asp

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forum-view.asp?forumid=2

WingedPanda
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
With a dressing room? $5-6K, tops

Without? $4-5K

If you're not in a hurry to sell, you can add a thousand. ;)

I just sold my old 4-star that didn't have a dressing room for a price in the lower end of your second range - it is 10 years older than OP's.

It sold the weekend after I listed it - of course, that might be because it is an unusual configuration in a less expensive trailer - straight load, extra tall, enclosed with ramp.

deltawave
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
My very limited observations are that there is quite a large market for used trailers in the $4-7K range, and not very many for sale in that range. Seems like everyone wants ten thousand, no matter what. :)

jcotton
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:31 PM
Get it appraised by your 4-Star dealer and let them know that you are toying with selling it. 4-Stars hold their value really well.
May be worthwhile using it as a trade-in on another 4-star. You keep it until your trailer is delivered to your 4-Star dealer, that is ewhat i have done when I have gotten the next 4-Star that i needed.