PDA

View Full Version : Curved mouthpiece vs. straight? Which one?

forestergirl99
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/Eggbutt/DSTESB.htm
vs
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/Eggbutt/JSTESB.htm

Which one would you prefer?

mvp
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
I think I'd take the second one for the reason the advertising text suggests: The curved mouth piece gives you the slight "bite" of the slow twist on the tongue and lips with less (or more gentle) nut cracker action and the joint pressing on the roof of the mouth.

doublesstable
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:38 AM
It so depends on your horse. And more often than not the only way to ask your horse what he likes is to put the bit in his mouth. I too prefer the more curved one since I don't really like using single jointed bits anyway... whatever takes the bit off the roof of the horses mouth I am better with.

I feel bits are generally pretty cheap so of course I have a huge box of them. :lol: actually looking to purchase a happy mouth mullen mouth for one of my more sensitive mouthed boys.

I do have the very bit you posted in the more straight one and it's about 30 years old. It's heavy and I have used it on a few occasions. It's a nice bit to have around.....

BeeHoney
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
I have a "thing" for those JP bits, they are fantastic, esp. for TB shaped mouths. They seem to be very comfortable for a certain type of horse. I have quite a collection of them, but I have never used the slow twist version. Usually I step up to a Dr. Bristol or french link snaffle, then up to a pelham.

BAC
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
The TB I used to ride seemed a lot happier when I switched from the straight to the curved JP mouthpiece.

OnePerfectRide
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
My horse loves the curved JP bits

Kryswyn
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
Let me ask you: would you rather have a pencil in your mouth, or an upside down spoon. Does that solve your quandry? :D

MintHillFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:00 PM
I think I'd take the second one for the reason the advertising text suggests: The curved mouth piece gives you the slight "bite" of the slow twist on the tongue and lips with less (or more gentle) nut cracker action and the joint pressing on the roof of the mouth.

I would totally agree. I think it is more fitting to the contour of the horse's anatomy.

I use the Myler D snaffle or their full cheek.

forestergirl99
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:55 PM
I went with the curved one. :) He uses a straight one right now, but I think the curved will make him even happier.