PDA

View Full Version : Plum Pretty was a blazing!

Glimmerglass
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
Did anyone see today's Sunland Park Oaks (Race 8) at the New Mexico track? Wow that 3-yr old girl (now 4 2-0-2) trained by Bob Baffert and Martin Garcia up must have thought she was going to be late for dinner :D

I cannot say I've seen a lot of racing from Sunland, but its doubtful many other horses have put in as many honest (if not fast) fractions and then utterly blew the doors off the entire field! [The margin was 25-lengths.]

Video replay: Sunland Park Oaks Mar 27, 2011 for $200k (http://www1.drf.com/replays/savedreplays.jsp?RACE=1466) at 1 1/16 mile.

Plum Pretty was toting 121-lbs so not exactly a mere feather's worth.

ASB Stars
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:29 PM
I want to know what the time was for the last filly...:winkgrin:

ThisTooShallPass
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:22 AM
OMG, he actually used the whip. Dude, how about looking under your arm next time before you use the whip!

Thanks for the direct link.

jennywho
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:39 AM
The thrid place horse, Formal Plan, while not running an outstanding race has a neat story.

She was purchased for $400 (yes only two 0's) at the 2010 WTBA sale.

She has a record of 1-2-0 from 4 starts with earnings of $50,480. As far as I know she is the first and only horse trained by her owner. Her first two starts were run at Portland Meadows.

Glimmerglass
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
Plum Pretty also cost the Sunland Park track money in the wagering department too - besides taking 60% of the $200k purse: Her heavy favorite status created a problem against the mandatory minimum payouts (http://www.drf.com/news/sunland-park-plum-pretty-dominates-sunland-park-oaks-25-lengths):

Plum Pretty paid $2.10, $2.10, and $2.10 as the heavy favorite. She triggered a negative place pool of $590 and a negative show pool of $9,155.

Rachel Alexandra also caused the same problem twice during her 3-yr old season when facing only female company.

MightyBobbyMagee
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
OMG, he actually used the whip. Dude, how about looking under your arm next time before you use the whip!

Let me preface by saying I have no problem with jockeys using the whip during a race, but in this case I totally agree with you! WTH?? Even if she started to pull herself, she was clearly far enough ahead that it wasn't going to be a big deal. Maybe Baffert said to make sure she made a work out of it? But still....how 'bout a good, strong hand ride?