PDA

View Full Version : Outside trainers and ring fees - what is reasonable?

Ibex
Mar. 27, 2011, 06:57 PM
I ride at a mostly dressage facility, but my trainer also teaches some jumping. She does not however jump herself anymore. She's been nice enough to let me bring in a jump trainer to get my mare to the next stage (I am not a trainer, nor do I play one on TV :lol: We've done pretty well for "green on green", but even regular trainer says it's time for someone with more jump mileage to do some work with the mare). I pay a $10 ring fee to regular trainer (who owns the facility) whenever jump trainer comes in, which I think is more than fair.

So the next question... I am going to be asking jump trainer to get my mare out on the trails, as this is part of her repertoire as well. Regular trainer isn't so into trail riding. Given that jump trainer is tacking up and leaving the premises, should I still plan on paying the "ring" fee...? I suspect regular trainer will want it when there's an outside trainer riding a horse from her barn, but some how it seems like a bit of a stretch when they're not using the facility itself... if she put the mare on a trailer and left I know regular trainer wouldn't expect a fee. Is it different when someone is riding out the front gate instead of driving?

What's the norm??

ACMEeventing
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
Since your jump trainer isn't occupying any training space when she hacks your horse, doesn't seem like a ring fee should apply.

In addition, your BO isn't offering to provide you that service so there doesn't seem to be a "conflict of income".

SevenDogs
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
Do you board your horse at said facility? If so, I would guess you probably won't be charged. If not, then you are using the facility as a "staging area" to park your trailer, tack up, etc. prior to heading out onto trail, regardless of who does the riding In that case, I would definitely expect to pay the charge.

Either way, I would simply ask the BO/Trainer and if they say yes, pay it willingly since they are allowing you to bring in an outside trainer.

I find that if I approach situations like this generously (e.g. offer to pay rather than ask "do I have to pay because I don't think I should have to...), the BO is generous with me. In any event, it is $10... not bank breaking either way.

Viva
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
The owner of the facility has a right to expect a cut of any income made at that facility. While it's true she's not taking up any space, your jumping trainer is, technically, using your other trainer's facility to earn money. A ring fee (or facility fee, if you like) wouldn't be unfair to ask. As SevenDogs said, if you approach it generously, your regular trainer may tell you not to worry about it, but it shows respect for her if you offer to pay it.

VicariousRider
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:01 AM
$10 is cheap in my experience. Often I have been charged $20. I wouldn't press my luck! Like Viva & Seven said, offer to pay it and she will likely not take the money.