PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Electric Wire Into Tape?

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
Right now my cross fence is Horseguard tape and the top edge of my perimeter fence has Horseguard along the inside edge at the top. However, I have noticed baby horse has taken a liking to chewing on the top board of the wood fence that seperates the horse side from the house side. I want to put a strand of wire on the top to prevent that. How in the world do I run the wire into the tape so it gets the charge from the box? I am also going to have to run probably poly rope from one side of the middle gate to the other as baby horse also thinks that pawing at this gate is a lot of fun. I like the idea of the retractable electric gate rope but again, having tape, Im not sure how to connect these together as I cant find any connectors that go from tape to wire or rope, like they have the tape to tape connectors. Any help would be awesome!

Rabtfarm
Mar. 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
Our Agway has tape to wire connectors. Or Tractor Supply http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/electric-fencing/electric-fence-wire-poly-tapes/electric-fence-connectors-splices/polytape-end-connector-1-in--3608522

I use the aluminum wire..and a pair of pliers...crimp the wire onto any tape splicer like the one above. This seems so obvious I feel like I am missing something in your write up.:confused:

George

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
So you can just wrap the wire around the connector and it will be good enough to transport all of the power? EVERYONE that we spoke to at TSC (only place we have here that carries stuff like that.. dont know what an Agway is) had not a clue on how to connect wire to tape.

Those end connectors are how we secure off the ends of the tape to the posts when that line of fence ends. Never knew you could use them to transfer the electric from the tape to wire. Interesting.

Thinking outloud here - will the tube gates (should be aluminum b/c its so light) get hot if I connect the gate handle to it? And if so, will it pop him if he paws the gate and/or leaves his hoof up on one of the rails? Not sure how a hoof conducts the charge like skin/muscle does.

Sorry dont know much about electric fences except the basics.

kellidahorsegirl
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:19 PM
If I'm following you correctly....you want to connect the end of the wire to the end of the tape??

You can just bend the end of the wire back toward itself and wrap around itself (to form a loop on the end).... 3-4 twists are plenty. Then put the end of the tape through the loop of the wire and tie it.

That would be plenty good enough. We splice our electric fence (wire) together that way when a spool runs out and we start another. You don't even need a connector.

Oh, and to be on the safe side when connecting a tape/wire gate to a post, we wrap a piece of wire around the post, then connect that to an insulater. Then connect the gate 'hook' to the insulater.....never directly TO a post because that will ground out your fence.

And I don't think it would conduct through a hoof unless he has shoes on.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
Kelli, not sure if you have used HG fence but its really stiff and cannot be tied like other tapes. I get what you are saying but I think the connector thing would probably be best with the HG.

The gate Im looking at getting is a retractable gate so I mount the case with the rolled up tape on the post, and pull out as much of the gate as I need and hook it to the gate insulator thats attached to the other post. That way, when you have to open the gate, the eletric gate winds back up into its holder and doesnt lay on the dirt and ground out the fence.

Too bad about the hoof not conducting well - hes a typical young boy horse who thinks its fun to bang on the gate and put his hoof up on it and shake it. Might have to run two of the electric gate tapes across at two heights to nip that in the butt.

kellidahorsegirl
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:51 PM
Oh sorry! HAHA I read it wrong. That sounds like a pain then.

If he's banging on the gate, he could still bump the wire with his coronet/pastern/fetlock area. And sometimes when anything touches a hot fence, it'll pop and that may scare him. Sounds like he's naughty hee hee

*I'm still not positive whether the hoof conducts or not, you'd have to test it haha. I know that as a kid, the sheep we had would lean against the hot wire and as long as it didn't touch skin, it wouldn't shock them. I'm assuming the same with the hoof, being a 'fingernail' and all...there's nothing live on the outter shell to conduct with.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hes your typical young, big boy WB. Into everything. Not nasty or mean but just nosy and you cant leave anything in his grasps, like a puppy!

Luckily, I do think it would just take him hitting it once or twice to make him think twice about touching it. I am going to try wrapping the tape around the end connectors and see how it works. I also have to run wire on top of the wood board between the house/barn as he thinks its fun to chew on it so I was wondering how I could run the wire into the tape so Im hoping this works.

horsepoor
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'm not totally sure I understand the question, but if I am interpreting you correctly, here's my counter-question -- do you have the end insulators for the Horseguard like this http://www.horseguardfence.com/shop_us2011/cat32.php?
If so, all you have to do is hook the wire to those metal parts -- it will be hot. So you don't have to attach directly to the tape as those metal parts are carrying an electric charge as well. That's what I have done.

KrazyTBMare
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
No I dont have those. The ones I have are similar to the first link posted but they are for 1.5" tape. Total duh moment as yes metal conducts electricity - guess I didnt think the connection would be good enough. I think we have it figured out - now to order stuff as the TSC here stink and never have anything in stock.

Tom King
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
Pull some of the conductors clear of the end of the tape. Cut the plastic part to get it out of the way. Twist the connectors together, and clamp them to the wire with a "split bolt". They are sold in Lowes and Home Depot where all the wire connectors are.