PDA

View Full Version : Where to market ponies?

BEARCAT
Mar. 27, 2011, 05:10 PM
I will try to stay as vague as possible, but where would be a good place to market a couple of young ponies, 14ish hands, decent movers, free jumped and seemed to enjoy it, but need an experienced horse person to get them started or furthered (is that a word?) under saddle. ie, they are not kid ready yet.
Is there a target market for something like that? (They are cheap!!)

horsefaerie
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
If they are broke and just green without a buck, rear or bolt, sure.

If not, then not so much.

Way too many horses out there of all sizes and ages that are not broke.

Brigitte
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:30 PM
Bearcat, I just took a look at the spotted ponies on your website. Very cute!

yellowbritches
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
I would just market them kind of generally. You'll have MORE of a market for them in the hunters, especially the local level hunters, than in the eventing world, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be interesting to some eventers. Ponies are a tough sell in the eventing world UNLESS they have a solid record, preferably with a kid. I got very little interest in our very nice pony last year, who was currently competing with me...the reason I managed to sell him as quickly as I did was that he was perfect for our farm owner's kid....he stayed in the barn.

DiablosHalo
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:47 AM
I'm in the same boat but with a mini-me. 10.1h green broke. Not kid safe but very flashy mover/looker. Hard time selling bc needs such a small person to bring him along. I've had a few interested in leasing for a few years- I might have to go that route to get him mileage- maybe you could try that?

BEARCAT
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the replies - that helps. Where would one concretly advertise said ponies? (Dreamhorse, Craigslist, contact local barns, etc?)

yellowbritches
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
equine.com, dreamhorse.com, etc are all good, especially for prospect types. Also, your area website, and if you have a decent equestrian publication in your area (I get a lot of feedback when I put ads in the Equiery here in MD).