PDA

View Full Version : Hunter jumper barns near Camp Lejeune, NC?

mYpAiNtGrAcE
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone,

My fiancé just got home from Afganistan a couple days ago :) We have been looking at houses and such, and I figured while I was up here for the week I would look into barns. I've checked the trainer listing on the NCHJA website, but to be honest I'm not too familiar with the area and I would prefer to get CotH's opinions. My mare is about to be leased down in Florida, so I'm really looking for somewhere to take lessons a couple times a week and possibly lease down the road. I'd preferably like a barn that does a lot of showing, and within an hour or so of Jacksonville. Also, does anyone know any good tack shops? I've heard there are a few in Wilmington but not sure if there are any closer.

Thanks in advance! :)

drewsbadboy
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:24 PM
Moore Stables. They are awesome! I actually learned from them when I was really young. They are a wonderful group and they do a very nice job teaching students. (Also, their horsemanship skills are second to none).

www.moorestables.com

P.S.- They do lots of showing at many different levels.

benton
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:22 PM
Call Annie Moore- at Moore Stables 910.324.2555

I rode with Annie for 10 years and learned a lot. The barn does do a lot of shows from local level thru Washington International. It's worth checking out.
Good Luck

pointtaker86
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:02 AM
I'm moving there also end of June! I'll be boarding at the ONLY eventing barn though :) I've heard the on base stabling is really nice!

mYpAiNtGrAcE
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys!

Pointtaker, where is the eventing barn? It seems no one around here rides. I have yet to check out the stable on base, but I'm pretty sure I know where it's at. We found a nice country home but not zoned for horses. It's just frustrating coming from Florida horse country!

drewsbadboy
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
The stables on base are very nice. I rode there for 8 years. :D But this was from 1986-1993. They had lessons, trail rides, pony rides, full care. It was awesome! I miss that place so much. During the first few years (in NC) I was taking lessons at Moore Stables and loved it there too. Sam and Annie are wonderful people and they really know what they're doing. Best of luck whatever you decide. And I have to add: You're sooo lucky! I wish I could be back in NC. :D

pointtaker86
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
It's about twenty minutes outside of Jacksonville, the name of it is Fast First Farm. I've researched a lot on barns in that area and there are a couple other Hunter barns. Most of the barns do western though :/

I'm trying to find a place within a hour of Lejeune to rent with land and a barn but according to my real estate agent thats impossible. Who would have thought?!

shawneeAcres
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
There is also Equine Country which has a very nice tack shop. Cannot say much about their boarding or program there, other than we go to their schooling shows which are pretty nice. Can't say they are a "hunter" barn exclusively but I think a lot of hunter type people baord there and they used to have a trainer, not sure if they still do or not, I know the old one is not there anymore tho.

nlk
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
You'll have a hard time finding a hunter/jumper barn around there. You would have to travel towards Charlotte or Raleigh.

I did talk to Anne Moore I believe when my husband came home from his deployment. I had a lesson scheduled since I had a few hours to kill but my flight was late so I didn't get to take it. Also I thought they did eventing and were not a Hunter/jumper barn.

The rest of the barns around there were Western. I also failed to check out the base barn as I was not bringing my horse down there.

If you have never been there, the on base beach rocks for seashells but the ocean floor seemed like it was clay based instead of sand so I thought that was very bizarre. The beach itself was very nice, got to watch little crabs pop up scuttle to something and then quickly dove into their holes. OH and they had ducklings in February!!! ( all of this is a Novelty to me coming from Michigan! I was so excited t see Ducklings in Feb!)