PDA

View Full Version : VHSA associate finals

gabster:)
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
hello:),
im trying to convince my parent register me for vhsa to go for points and then maybe qualify for finals in lexinton, va. and i need details on the cost at finals. how much stalls, divisions, warming up ect are. so if you know how much money this costs or any advice on how to convince my parents. please let me know:)
thanks!

rustbreeches
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
popping popcorn! Train wreck headed this way.

QHmom
Mar. 27, 2011, 02:59 PM
Gabster,
Do you have a trainer or do you show by yourself? Have you contacted VHSA for info? Parents may have good reasons.

Rustbreeches- not to "pot stir" but margaritas any one?

Brydelle Farm
Mar. 27, 2011, 04:59 PM
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:CakIeRLSTVYJ:jamesriverequestrian.com/2010/Prizelists/1111_Finals.pdf+2010+vhsa+associate+championship+s how&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj89c4q_wz8s3J6fpvZqzJC_wAbk5ODNJ_pyLfh MFgjwdu4_3zjeglzYVhUXtNHBG3e1F69q72wwW4mnaF_vBvjzp 8YYZcvNcrILwSlFk8jODlH4WP5J19OLOzD8GJIyUbtGXuN&sig=AHIEtbSuZOHscMSRy4r831dNPyZkhkeYiA

Here is link to the prize list from 2010, so you can see the entry fees, stall fees, etc. Those costs not include hotel, training, hauling, etc.

To "qualify" all you need to do is show in a min. of 5 VHSA Associate shows prior to the end of Oct.

Rockfish
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:25 PM
face : palm

From someone who's done the Ass. shows since the 90's, they've really gone down the tubes...I'd save my money up a bit and go do some B rated shows like WBTA or McDonough instead. Plus the MHSA has the pre-adult/pre-childrens divisions.

justdandy
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:00 AM
face : palm

Plus the MHSA has the pre-adult/pre-childrens divisions.

And they actually follow their own rules. Unlike, VHSA.:sigh:

Greg
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
Gabster -
There are very few horse associations that please everyone. The VHSA is fun because they do have a finals at the end of the year. You get to compete at a GORGEOUS venue, against people that all had the same goal as you at the beginning of the season! Your attitude towards it will be the deciding factor for if you enjoy yourself, and find it to be a worthwhile experience. Just remember that ultimately, the Finals is ONE show, and as soon as that show is over, the mad scramble is back on to get to next years finals!
My sisters and niece did it some years back, and we had a super time! Take it seriously, sure, but if the people around you are taking it a little too seriously, take a step back, and a deep breath, and look at all the beautiful horses with the beautiful braids, and the mountains, and the lovely coliseum, and you'll smile again, real fast. If you can't... If you can't shake off uber-intense people (of which there are always a few in any sport), then the VHSA assoc program/Finals won't be worth it to you.
In my house, we all enjoyed it immensly, got some good prizes, and some shut outs, but the best thing we got was the memories that still make us smile.

Anyplace Farm
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:50 PM
Unless something has changed, you only have to compete in 5 VHSA associate shows (and be a member) to qualify for finals.

Rockfish
Mar. 28, 2011, 03:35 PM
And they actually follow their own rules. Unlike, VHSA.:sigh:

VHSA does rate the WBTA and some McDonough shows for the CH/AA, pre-green, and JR/AO classes, if you really can't live without VHSA points, though the VHSA tried to screw me out of some of my point for them last year despite it being on their website and in the prize list that the ass. accepted A/A hunter points.

WonderGirl
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Gabster,
Not to be too cynical but maybe your parents read the other threads about the VHSA’s lack of ability to support their own rules and do not want to give their money to an organization that cannot behave professionally even at their own finals show. I would ask why would you want to go to finals? If you are going for the fun and experience of showing at Lexington (which I highly recommend!) chose a different show to attend there and just call it finals for yourself ;). All you have to do to qualify for finals is show at 5 associate shows (not hard at all). That’s it. There is no best of the best. It is everyone that can afford to go. I would also ask how you feel about working all year to learn how to ride and show your pony/horse and really get good at riding/showing knowing all the hard work you put in only to be beat at finals by people who need to drug their horses to get them to perform and have them beat you only because they didn’t put in all your hard work. How would you feel about losing a ribbon to someone who cheated and cross entered and got a ribbon that they took home and you only got a ninth reserve call only to find out that you should have received a ribbon because that person who took home the ribbon cheated. (this, of course, actually happened this past November). If you are ok with these and many other scenarios after paying all your entry fees and horse show costs and training for the year then maybe finals is ok for you.
This could be a valuable history lesson for you though. Check out the other threads with your parents and really research your decision. I will leave you with this quote by Sir Edmund Burke (1729-1797) "Those who do not know history are destined to repeat it."

Best of luck to you with your decision and show year! Hope you do really well and meet all your personal goals!

young_ammy
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:45 PM
Gabster,
Not to be too cynical but maybe your parents read the other threads about the VHSA’s lack of ability to support their own rules and do not want to give their money to an organization that cannot behave professionally even at their own finals show. I would ask why would you want to go to finals? If you are going for the fun and experience of showing at Lexington (which I highly recommend!) chose a different show to attend there and just call it finals for yourself ;). All you have to do to qualify for finals is show at 5 associate shows (not hard at all). That’s it. There is no best of the best. It is everyone that can afford to go. I would also ask how you feel about working all year to learn how to ride and show your pony/horse and really get good at riding/showing knowing all the hard work you put in only to be beat at finals by people who need to drug their horses to get them to perform and have them beat you only because they didn’t put in all your hard work. How would you feel about losing a ribbon to someone who cheated and cross entered and got a ribbon that they took home and you only got a ninth reserve call only to find out that you should have received a ribbon because that person who took home the ribbon cheated. (this, of course, actually happened this past November). If you are ok with these and many other scenarios after paying all your entry fees and horse show costs and training for the year then maybe finals is ok for you.
This could be a valuable history lesson for you though. Check out the other threads with your parents and really research your decision. I will leave you with this quote by Sir Edmund Burke (1729-1797) "Those who do not know history are destined to repeat it."

Best of luck to you with your decision and show year! Hope you do really well and meet all your personal goals!

LIKE:cool:

Rockfish
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:51 PM
Gabster,

I think I <3 you!

and to add, you don't even have to pin in those 5 shows you do, just show and maybe even get beaten by those same people who will drug their horse for the sake of a SCHOOLING show ( or in a few cases this year, arrive early, and lunge the horses with their heads ties to their chest until the animal was ready to drop).

HunterRider992
Mar. 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
Even without all the issues the other posters have mentioned, you couldn't pay me to go to VHSA Associate Finals. It is very poorly organized and simply demoralizing to watch. There are so many people who are very clearly not ready to show at the level they are showing at. The best example of this is the Children's Hunters, which runs at 2'6 all year at some associate shows, but at finals it is the normal height of 3ft. Those riders and horses who have been showing all year at 2'6 may not be ready for the 3ft in the Colosseum. Of course, there are good riders as well but I do not enjoy watching rider after rider get into dangerous situations because they aren't prepared and the show is overcrowded.

young_ammy
Mar. 30, 2011, 07:06 PM
Agree, agree, agree. What's sad is that the trainers who are putting their kids in these dangerous situations don't realize it and quite frankly ride just as poorly as the kids. It gets more run down every year. It would be different, nicer, more of a quality show if the requirement wasn't to just show in five shows. Im not talking rediculously hard, but something to give the real trainers, real riders and real talent that aren't doing the BIG shows to be proud of. I lost my train of thought, but yeah..that

QHmom
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
I like the one horse and rider who were called back in the childrens even afer they did a 2 stride in the in and out.....mmmmmm

MoonLadyIsis
Mar. 31, 2011, 03:26 PM
I like the one horse and rider who were called back in the childrens even afer they did a 2 stride in the in and out.....mmmmmm

was this the eq?

WonderGirl
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:00 PM
Why yes it was. Painful to watch but even more painful to watch her get a call back to hack :sigh:

LaBonnieBon
Apr. 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
Unless something has changed, you only have to compete in 5 VHSA associate shows (and be a member) to qualify for finals.

And this is not even necessary, if you know the right people! I was standing next to a tri-color winner a few years back and it was the pony's first horse show. I know of several other instances like that so it must be another one of those rules where they follow when they feel like it...

RNB
Apr. 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
Gabster,

This.

gabster2
Apr. 2, 2011, 05:41 PM
hey, sorry i havent responded, i had to get a new account, because it wouldnt let on the first one. yes, i ride with a trainer. and i want to go to VHSA for all the reasons Greg stated. Everyone i know that went have had a GREAT time and said it was not dangerous at all! and i want to experence it for myself:) Oh and thanks Brydelle Farm, that website helped alot! :)

HunterKatie
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:12 AM
We have gone the last 2 years and each year had atleast one championship, and I can proudly say, WE WILL NEVER GO BACK! I know specific cases of ponies and horses not showing at 5 shows or people not being members and still being able to go, due to show managers forging paperwork. It has the potential to be a great idea and wonderful show, but I say spend your money elsewhere. We still attend associate shows, as I believe they are fantastic places to get mileage for inexperienced riders or young horses, but we will go to an A show for a better run show for the same money.