PDA

View Full Version : Best gooseneck hitch for F250?

wsmoak
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:17 AM
I currently have a Curt turnover ball (in a Dodge 2500) that I really like -- no problems for 10 years: http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-C-52-Gooseneck-Assembly/dp/B0007M4MKA

The Ford dealer wanted $1600 for the 'built in' hitch -- I believe that's also a 5th wheel, which we don't need, and that it allows the ball to slide forward and back on the rails in case you have a large front on the trailer.

Unfortunately there were no extended cab long beds to be found, so the Ford is a short bed. :( (However, it *looks* like it has the same wheel base as the Dodge.)

I'm under the impression that the ball should go over the axle and I'm leery of anything that lets you put it further back. Plus, I'd just really like the ball to be Firmly Attached to my truck, not sliding on rails with little pins.

A similar recent thread got lots of recommendations for the B&W turnover hitch. This is the one you operate with the handle in the wheel well, correct?

Long ago I was warned away from the "pop up" type hitch because people were having trouble with the mechanism either not popping up, or worse, it lowering unexpectedly.

Not having to climb in the bed has no appeal -- I have to get in there to do the safety chains anyway.

So what's the latest on gooseneck hitches, specifically for a new F250 4x4?

Guilherme
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:07 AM
I think the B&W TurnOver Ball is still the "pick of the litter." :)

G.

Almost Heaven
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
We've used Drawtites in two Fords for last 10 years with good results. be sure to keep the axle greased or it will be resistant when dirty (and our trucks are always dirty).

Just went with a B&W (due to installer preference in a different location), no issues although 2011 Chevy's have reported problems with bracing on high loads - the 2011 has a new frame which may require modification to the hitch brackets.

rmh_rider
Mar. 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
I had a 2002 short bed 2500 gas chevy king cab. The ball was right smack in the middle of the bed.

Now have a 2011 short bed 2500 duramax chevy crew cab. The hitch is now just a hair in front of where the center of the bed is. Why? Because there is a big support or beam under there. I asked the guy. You can buy an extention, and it will put it in the center or behind(towards the rear) the center.

I had a flipdown ball, 10k# rating, now have a turnover ball same rating.

No such thing as a too big of a hitch ball. Bigger is better. 2 5/16" is what we ALL should be hauling with. If not, have a new coupler put on the trailer. It is safer than a 2". IMO.

They do not sell/make the flip over ball like I had before, I asked. So now all they have are the lift out and turn over or remove all together balls.

Mine has always been installed by a business which does alot of hitches. So they know their stuff.

I have not had an issue with the lift out and turn over ball. So far so good. Have had new truck since oct of 2010.

ChocoMare
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:20 AM
B & W Turnover Ball (http://tweetys.com/turnoverball-ford.aspx)... hands down.

Where'sMyWhite
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
B&W Turnover is what is in my F250 long bed.

shortbusgeek
Mar. 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
I've heard nothing but good about the B&W turnover ball and really wish I had one. With that said, we bought our F350 used with a Draw Tite already installed. Haven't had any issues, but I do have to store the ball behind the back seat if I need to use the bed of the truck and don't want the ball sticking up.

Lovinglife5757
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:26 PM
B&W Turnover is what is in my F250 long bed.

And it's in my F250 short (6.5') bed.

tobruk
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
B&W is the only one we install. Generally the most trouble free and they're always first to the marketplace with the new technology needed for installing in the new trucks.

wsmoak
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to say that my B&W is not all sunshine and roses. The latch mechanism doesn't stay in the "open" position, so I have to clamp a pair of vise-grip pliers on the handle to keep it locked open so I can flip the ball. It did this the very first time I tried to flip the ball back up (which was outside of the warranty period).

I guess that's better than it not staying in the *closed* position!

That's what I worry about, and why I like my Curt, which spins on the heavy pin -- no way is it coming loose from the truck.

How does the release bar work on the B&W? Spring loaded so it wants to stay closed, I assume? And you pull back and turn to lock it open, climb in and reverse the ball, then climb back out and lock it closed?

camohn
Mar. 31, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think the B&W TurnOver Ball is still the "pick of the litter." :)

G.

ditto...not a problem with it in the heavily used 12 years it had been on the truck