PDA

View Full Version : Who is she? (Tattoo lookup help)

Slewdledo
Mar. 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
We are briefly fostering a rescued-from-slaughter mare and her baby. The baby is said to be a QH cross, 5-7 months old (she looks on the younger side of that.)

The mare is chestnut, in rough shape though she doesn't look terribly old. Tattoo looks to be J 4125. Definite on the 1-2-5. There nothing following the 5 (or possibly S?) but there may have once been another digit/letter at the beginning. There is some question as to whether she is a TB or QH - my boss says that to her, the mare looks much more like a TB. There WAS also some question as to whether she was pregnant again or not - she disproved that after just 12 hours in our care by showing that she's in raging heat. :)

She is a chestnut with a star and connected stripe, and pastern white on the left hind.

Any help is appreciated! I tried a tattoo search to no avail, that is not my forte! We would love to find out who she is, and possibly help to get the foal registered. She is located in the PNW.

mephistopheles
Mar. 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
There should be another number in there somewhere, tb tats are one letter and five numbers.

jennywho
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:28 AM
Maybe Danica Whirl?

Foaled in WA in 2005 Breeder KW Nelson

Golden Whirl x Prevailing Winds

Tat I21254

Large irregular oval star slightly wider to the right and connected stripe becoming bordered flesh colored and ending between nostrils, into both nostrils

LH coronet white on inside

Median cowlick at eye level

summerhorse
Mar. 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Horse Name Mardi Gras Deelite

Tattoo J41253

Year of Birth 2006

sIRE Afternoon Delights
Dam Name Candy Mountain

Color Chestnut, can't bring up markings but the markings on the mare and this number do not bring anything up. ETA: Her markings apparently don't match.

Sex Mare

Or

Hi Tech Toy 2006 Mare Luftikus Toy for Roy (WV) J41254, her markings also do not match apparently

OR searching by markings and J 125 only two mares come up:

Horse Name Spirits Tiara

Tattoo J12578

Year of Birth 2006

Sire: Crown Ambassador
Dam Name Spirits Girl

Color Chestnut, Oval star mostly to right in forehead and connected stripe, narrowing on bridge of nose, becoming bordered flesh colored and ending to right between nostrils, into right nostril. Left hind: white to above ankle, higher in back and on inside in back; chestnut spots on coronet. Cowlick slightly to left at bottom of eye level.

Sex Mare

and

Horse Name Hawaiian Hula

Tattoo J31253

Year of Birth 2006 (VA)

Sire: Two Punch
Dam Name Hula Colony

Color Chestnut, Small star and connected short tapering stripe, ending at eye level. Left hind: quarter stocking, higher on inside and in back. Median cowlick at top of eye level.

Sex Mare

If these aren't right I'd call the AQHA, they will also look up for free. (806) 376-4811

summerhorse
Mar. 27, 2011, 05:42 PM
Using I and those markings this mare comes up:

Horse Name A to the Croft

Tattoo I41254

Year of Birth 2005 (KY)
Sire: Menifee
Dam Name Heart Warmer

Color Chestnut, Star pointed at top and connected narrow stripe, becoming bordered flesh colored in center of face, widening on bridge of nose, ending between nostrils, touching right nostril. Left hind: two-thirds stocking, higher in front and on inside. Cowlick slightly to right above eye level.

Sex Mare

Nothing with matching sex and markings comes up moving the 125 to the end and only Danica Whirl comes up changing the first number and letter.

furlong47
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:16 AM
Is it possible to post a photo of the tattoo?

Slewdledo
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:50 PM
I'll try to get pics of tattoo tomorrow. The Danica horse would fit, but for the left hind. Her full pastern is white all around. I DID find another possibility with several numbers that match and markings and cowlick match - Bella Contessa, 2000. (Jenny, if you look at her pedigree you will see that this is somewhat ironic if it actually IS her.)

Her head cowlick is centered, top of eye level (or possibly between eyes.)

Thanks all for taking the time to look!!!

ANd thanks for the AQHA number, I will call them tomorrow!

jennywho
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:30 AM
That would be absolutely wild if she was Bella Contessa. I couldn't figure out how to look to see if she has any AQHA produce. HOWEVER if she is A to the Croft by chance please sign me up as first on the list to adopt her, LOL.

JoZ
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:10 AM
What about her teeth? Closer to 5 or 10?

furlong47
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:58 PM
Well, here's a few pics of A to the Croft to compare: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11698098@N08/2473376783/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverny99/2457154659/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bngarland/2338479915/

However, she appears to be living the broodmare life: had a 2010 filly by Distorted Humor and bred to Curlin for 2011, so I really really doubt this one slipped through the cracks

jennywho
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
haha, I am certain it's not A to the Croft, I was just being facetious.

summerhorse
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah I'd take her, in foal to Curlin!! =)

Slewdledo
Mar. 29, 2011, 09:21 PM
Tattoo pics
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/pokeydoke1/IMG_0052.jpg
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/pokeydoke1/IMG_0051.jpg

and the lady herself
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/pokeydoke1/IMG_0045.jpg

furlong47
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
That does look like J4125. I'd check further into Appendix or racing QH. The style of the numbers, especially the 1, is different from TB tattoos that I've seen. (See the fresh tattoo here: http://www.netposse.com/liptattoo.html The 1 has the little tag on top and feet, where the 1 on your horse's tat is straight up and down.) That's also the right number of characters for Standardbred, but she doesn't look it, and I searched and there is nothing even close to being a match as far as color/markings/gender.

summerhorse
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:22 AM
Are you sure about the age? I can't tell from the angle but it seems that galvayne's grove is visible all the way down which would put her at around 20. Unfortunately that doesn't match any TBs in 91 or 92! U or V 4125__ . I would have guessed she might be a QH or appendix by looks although it is certainly hard to tell anymore! I hope the tattoo matches someone. Is there any ghost of a letter at the end? Or the beginning? She has to be someone!

onthehill
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
Slew are you sure that isn't a "3" at the end??

summerhorse
Apr. 3, 2011, 09:52 PM
Slew are you sure that isn't a "3" at the end??

Unfortunately that doesn't match any TB mares either (with those markings). Please call the AQHA in the morning, the suspense is KILLING ME! LOL

summerhorse
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:07 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap...

Slewdledo
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sorry, have been tied up with a lot of other stuff lately. Summerhorse, if you'd like to call them, please do and let us know!!!! Everyone who has looked at it (4 people) sees the same: J4125. I know there's nothing after the 5.

I gave her a very good brushing today. Poor girl is shedding like you wouldn't believe and getting over rainrot - her skin on top is very dry. She is starting to sleek up, though. Sunshine helps! Very much an in-your-pocket pony and easy as pie to handle.

ladybugred
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:47 PM
That last number could be a "3" not a "5".

The NetPosse site says that AQHA tats. Have the letter at the end, so your mare is a TB.

LBR

summerhorse
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:41 PM
I know they say that (on AQHA too) but I know some of the rescues that came from out west mostly had them in front. Anyway I can't call from work! I will see if someone else can. She just isn't matching anything but what was posted above.

Does she have any spots on the coronet? Any way to get a close up of her cowlick?