PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Talk of the Town
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm contemplating buy a horse. I had planned on finishing out the year with the horse I'm riding now while starting to look for something of my very own.

Here is where I need the advice. There is an appendix qh that is a 10 mover but still green as she was bought as a hunt seat horse for the qh circuit but will never tuck the head and go like they would like to see in that ring. She was turned out as the owner went and bought something new and they have recently decided to sell her. She is a steal at $3500 but she is 9 and has never jumped. She has recently been sent to one of my friends for sale and she has said she's very relaxed and has started to build up some muscles and is going great.

Now my main question is would you buy something that is a fabulous mover and personality at the age of 9 to start over and to make a show horse? My goal is to get something to do at least the low A/Os eventually and I have no problem bringing her up through the levels.

Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Bogie
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:50 PM
Yes. 9 isn't that old and as long as she is sound, willing and you aren't "untraining" some bad habits, she should pick it up a new job quickly.

It sounds like she already has training so you can evaluate her attitude. If she's willing to learn and stays sound as she's put back into work, I wouldn't be put off by her age.

ElementFarm
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:43 AM
I would rather buy a 9yo with no jumping experience than one who competed heavily on the INTHF and hunter breeding circuits and was jumping courses a lot as a 3 and 4 year old. At least you know this mare hasn't been pounded into the ground. I own a 6yo who I bought when he was 3 and he's just now starting to do any "real" over fences work. He's a big boy at 17.2 and he needed to mature a lot before I wanted to risk his future soundness by jumping him a lot. If the mare shows interest and talent, I'd say 9 and green about jumping isn't a problem at all. Now, 9 and green overall wouldn't interest me. But if her flatwork is sound she should make up fairly quickly, especially if she's as athletic, quiet and willing as the Appendix QH's I've worked with in the past.

Monica67
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:36 AM
She sounds like a nice horse and 9 isn't too old at all.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:40 AM
I agree with the other responses. If she is sound and sane, learning to jump at 9 should not be a problem at all.

SnicklefritzG
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:52 AM
If you are looking to make her up into a possible A/O horse and this is a horse you don't want to flip, then it might work. Would you be able to try her a couple of times? Are you close enough to where she is boarded that you could do a week trial on site?

For a horse that age that hasn't jumped before, I'd want to see that it is a quick learner.

findeight
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
The only way I see age as much of an issue on this low mileage model with known background? Are you going to be heartbroken of she tops in the 3' ring and does not make the 3'6"? Or turns out not to have the style for the Hunters?

This one is well broke if not completely finished so you don't have to start at square one.

However, if you have not actually seen them jump something of decent size or step down an honest line? Forcasting success at any particular level of Hunters is tough, even if they are good movers.

But for 3500??? If you don't have to sell her if it dsoes not work? I'd pick her up.

A few test rides first though, see how she handles herself over ground poles and some low crossrails and maybe a couple of flower boxes. Look for attitude and willingness to try. And look for a good, long, low canter-even green you can evaluate her willingness to adjust by lengthening and shortening.

PPE too, look at the hocks for possible maintainance issues you can deal with and the feet for navicular or signs of ringbone which you probably don't want to deal with.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

kelsey97
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with all posts, but especially with findeight. If you really have your heart set on the AO's, will you be disappointed if you only make it to the AA's? You can't beat the price, personally I'd go for it. Sound like you could easily sell if she doesn't work out.

mrsbradbury
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
I would give her a shot. I am a fan of the slightly older/ slightly green horse. Because they are usually priced really well, like this girl. The nice thing about her breeding is that for the price, if she doesn't make a 3'6" horse she's super saleable in a lot of arenas and you should easily be able to get your purchase price back.

Good luck.

Talk of the Town
Mar. 27, 2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to go see her in a couple weeks to try her out and I guess I'll go from there!