PDA

View Full Version : No VA: Reston, Fairfax, Leesburg area lessons

foreverdreaming
Mar. 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for lesson barns in the Northern Va area?? Preferably Reston/Herndon area, but would consider Leesburg, Aldie or Haymarket. I'm looking for a friendly enviornment. I've tried searching previous threads, but cant find anything very helpful.

PM me with suggestions/experiences, please.

Would appreciate info on experiences with Fox Meadow Farm (Haymarket), Maintree Farm (Leesburg), Cavallo Farm (Leesburg), Twin Oaks (Leesburg), and trainers at Stonegate (Aldie)
Thanks!

Trixie
Mar. 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
Depends kind of what you're looking for - do you have a horse or need schoolies? Want to lease? Show? Level? Give us more detail so we can point you in the right direction.

foreverdreaming
Mar. 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Im looking for a hunter jumper lesson barn with school horses available. It would be nice to have the option to lease or show in the future. A friendly, low drama barn :)

in_the_zone
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
This is a low drama barn with competent instruction and schoolies available.

http://www.theoverlookfarm.com/overlook.htm

QHmom
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:50 PM
Sue Buscher at Timely Manor in Manassas! Close to 15 and 66, fantastic barn, amazing kiddos, and very honest!

PaintPony
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
Out of the ones on your list I would recommend Cavallo.

Rockfish
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:22 PM
River Chase Rt 15 just north of the 50/15 rotary. I've know Bevin who teaches out of their for a while, as she has put together a real team of riders for GMU. They have a bunch of schoolies, but one named Smudge has my heart!

Kryswyn
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
Another vote for Cavallo. Low drama, many students have been with Mike for years. Juniors love him. Has nice lesson horses. They go to the big shows, but also locals and host shows which (from the pictures) everyone has a blast at. Plus, you get to eat Michael's cooking. That may be the best part ;)

McLeanHunterRider
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:37 PM
I rode with Mike a while ago and learned a lot. My leg got really strong and I got secure over fences. Overall it was a great barn, well-managed, nice school horses, and relatively low drama. However, I stopped riding there when they started charging a decent amount (like $400/month) for a school horse use fee. At the time, I just wanted one lesson a week and the occasional show. However, Cavallo would fit your bill since it encourages people to lease and show, and their school horses are quality animals.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
Fox Meadow is excellent, but more of a low key, developmental type program.

For a more show oriented program, I would go to Judy De Michele at http://www.progressiveridingprogram.com/

Both are in Haymarket

horsekpr
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cavallo does not charge a school horse use fee.Lessons on a school horse are a bit more than they are on your own horse ,if that is what you mean ,but that only makes sense. If you lease a horse then the lesson price is reduced from the regular school horse price.
Cavallo is a fun,low drama barn with an empashasis on showing. Lots of good people there,horses available for lessons ,lease ,and show. As mentioned previously Michael is not only an excellent trainer,hhe is a gret cook!

Anyplace Farm
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:53 PM
I used to board near Fox Meadow and I have a friend (she's also a poster here: barnworkbeatshousework) who lessons there and she loves it.

During my rides by their farm, I'd always see horses in excellent flesh and a very neat / tidy place. My friend seems pretty discriminating and expects a lot our of her lessons and says she really enjoys it.

JOBEAN
May. 15, 2011, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for lesson barns in the Northern Va area?? Preferably Reston/Herndon area, but would consider Leesburg, Aldie or Haymarket. I'm looking for a friendly enviornment. I've tried searching previous threads, but cant find anything very helpful.

PM me with suggestions/experiences, please.

Would appreciate info on experiences with Fox Meadow Farm (Haymarket), Maintree Farm (Leesburg), Cavallo Farm (Leesburg), Twin Oaks (Leesburg), and trainers at Stonegate (Aldie)
Thanks!

Where did you end up?
I'm looking around Leesburg ... Actually thinking about looking into Tony Workmans. Not sure where I should be.. May be working in Leesburg soon.
Help needed..
Have young one just turning 6. Would love indoor and two pro rides per week in addition to two lessons a week.
One show per month local or A doesnt make a difference...
The two big issues are.. Need great turnout and NOT to have a trainer manage my horse..Just left trainer making bad decisions
Resulting in sore -sour horse..
Thanks!