PDA

View Full Version : The local level, open show, 4-H horses.

FlashGordon
Mar. 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
Was at a local show this morning, one of the first of the season and it made me miss my childhood horse! He was a plain old grey QH, old school foundation style. Not fancy enough to do the circuit stuff but rock solid at the local level. We had so much fun! I have so many fond memories of him and all the 4-H and fairs and local shows we went to.

There's something to be said for those good citizens. Maybe not the best movers, maybe won't jump over 2'6, but how many of us out there love and appreciate those guys...

MunchkinsMom
Mar. 26, 2011, 04:02 PM
I do! That's how I got started as a teenager and young adult, and I bet almost everyone here did the same.

fourmares
Mar. 26, 2011, 04:07 PM
Me too! Those horses were awsome. They did a little of everything, nothing fazed them and you didn't have to worry about screwing them up... ah the good ole' days...

shawneeAcres
Mar. 26, 2011, 04:10 PM
Those horses really are the backbone of the sport!! I have several in my barn, they are SOLID as a ROCK. They aren't "fancy" but you know, they bring home the ribbons and HUGE grins on the kids faces. Not to mention, you can TRUST them! In our state 4-H at the state competition level is VERY competitive, yet these steady eddies all go and win their share everytime out. One of my kids, 9 yr old student, rides a foundation registered 18 yr old QH mare, and she goes to the "C" level shows and kicks butt! Here she is:

http://community.webshots.com/album/579963492BrwWJN

I started riding on a "grade" gelding who had who knows WHAT in him. He did it all for me, western, hunters, jumpers, eventing, dressage and would go all day on a trail. Fancy is nice, but solid and reliable rocks my boat!

FlashGordon
Mar. 26, 2011, 05:50 PM
Aww that mare is so cute SA! Are those pics recent? She looks super for 18!

My current gelding was also one of those good, kind souls that did the local thing for years. He's been pretty much retired since coming to me but I know he did his duty for a lot of years carting kids around the local shows and 4-H.

It was a balmy 18 degrees today and the show was supposed to be in and out but everything was run inside. So there were horses, kids and people everywhere and all the ponies were sooo good!

shawneeAcres
Mar. 26, 2011, 05:56 PM
Aww that mare is so cute SA! Are those pics recent? She looks super for 18!

My current gelding was also one of those good, kind souls that did the local thing for years. He's been pretty much retired since coming to me but I know he did his duty for a lot of years carting kids around the local shows and 4-H.

It was a balmy 18 degrees today and the show was supposed to be in and out but everything was run inside. So there were horses, kids and people everywhere and all the ponies were sooo good!

Yep! The first two are at my farm in a lesson in January and the show pic was February of this year. THis mare is fabulous, doesn't even get any joint injections or even supplements! Sound as a dollar! Here is a video in a lesson in January, I think the same day as the first two pics were taken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBt1frYFsQ

We have a 26 yr old large and 23 yr old SS "hony" showing as well and you'd never guess they were that old!

Crown Royal
Mar. 26, 2011, 06:50 PM
Shawnee- that little girl is wonderful and her pony is absolutely adorable!

War Admiral
Mar. 26, 2011, 06:55 PM
Shawnee- that little girl is wonderful and her pony is absolutely adorable!

ABSOLUTELY. Lovely riding, lovely pony!!!! :yes::yes::yes:

shawneeAcres
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks! She has been riding with me for about 5 yrs now, but got her age wrong, she is 10 not 9 (she'd KILL me if she thought I said 9! LOL)

FlashGordon
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:39 PM
Agree! They are an adorable pair, SA!

Wonder how many of these types are QHs and QHs crosses. I know there are always a few older TBs kicking around too.

shawneeAcres
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:54 AM
This particular mare is a registered foundation QH. We have an AWESOME guy we got recently, a 13 yr old DEFINITELY QH, somehow papers have gotten lost along the way. Just a super packer up to 2'6". Have a QH/welsh 26 yr old pony that the younger sister of the kid above shows. Have a QH/app (registered app) 23 yr old that another one of my students shows, great "Starter" 2' horse. I love my QH and crosses! And I ahve a 17.2 hand guy that everyone thinks is a WB, but he is a registered Appendix QH. Nearly all of my students are showing QH's or crosses.

FlashGordon
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:09 AM
I always owned, leased and rode QHs growing up and then as an adult preferred TBs.

After having a baby and spending 18 months out of the saddle I'm starting to get the itch to ride again.... and a nice, half dead, broke to death 15hh QH is looking REALLY good right now!! :lol:

shawneeAcres
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:13 AM
You CANNOT beat the QH mind and atheletic ability! My favorites are the appendix horses.

billiebob
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:34 AM
SA I too love your kiddie and the pony! What a nice pair they are! You can't beat a good schoolie. We have a bunch of them in our barn as well. There's a local schooling jumper series that our kids do every winter that finished a couple of weeks ago. When all the points from each show were tallied, we had 4 of the top 7 horses. Not because they're the fanciest, but because they're safe and teach our kids to really RIDE.

My goal for my personal horse is to be like one of them :D. Give me a good schoolie over a fancy show horse any day!

kelsey97
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
SA: Love your girls! We have the Buckskin twin of her for a LS adult, the best doer in the barn. I just love this type of horse, you have to love them for what they ARE not what they AREN'T ;)

luckeys71
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
Just 2 horses ago, I had one of those. Bought him at 15. I kept refusing to even look at him, because he was "too old". The barn owner kept bugging me and my trainer about going to see him and my trainer said, "Why don't we go see him and just shut her up?" I agreed and he was the first thing I had looked at that I wanted to see twice. A little (he was about 15.3, of course, we were told he was 16.2!) non registered QH/TB. A bad mover with a bit of a short stride, but great jumper. Knew it all! I showed him the 3ft. locally for several years, until he just didn't want to jump 3ft., anymore. He would still do it, but it was obvious he really had trouble getting down the lines, so we decided he didn't want to do the bigger ones, anymore. He was the funniest horse, because he didn't want to be TOLD what to do. He LOVED a beginner, who would just sit down and hang on and let him do his job perfectly. When you thought you knew how to ride and started trying to tell him what to do, he could get a little aggravated and get strong. I swear that horse knew the courses once he had done them once, because he was the greatest packer and I think was Limit Equitation Champion like 3 years in a row. My trainer's daughter, who is now a professional, showed him as an 8 year old Limit Eq rider after I had bought a new horse and he became the GREATEST school horse for the rest of his life! It was the perfect job for him and he loved it. Taught a bunch of kids to ride. He is buried in the woods out at my barn. I think he'd be about 37 by now. I've been very blessed, not having had a lot of horses, but to have had all great ones. Not all the fanciest, like Irish, but truly great souls. Irish's replacement was a perfect WB mare, a bit fancier, but still not a good mover, that I still have in retirement at nearly 22, and I am now riding her daughter who is quite fancy and absolutley the most perfect horse ever! I not only bred and raised this one myself, but broke her, too. She amazes me how much she has figured out and how wonderful she goes with basically, just me being her rider. She hasn't had a lot of professional rides.

Flashy Gray VA
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:57 AM
Shawnee, what a nice video of your kiddo and that mare clocking along. :)

mvp
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
You CANNOT beat the QH mind and atheletic ability! My favorites are the appendix horses.

Me too! One of the best, most useful horses I rode as a kid was an Appendix. Not enough stride, but pretty, sane and very kind. He was gelded late, but he was not too much for a kid to ride. It was nice being on a fancy-looking black horse with a little chutzpah and enough athleticism and "rideabliity" to get the job done.

When I bred my own DWB, I really thought all horses should be something like those "jack of all trades" horses I showed as a kid. I looked for a good mind in both the mare and stallion. But really, I just *assumed* that a good show hunter would roll with the punches at shows (or moving cattle, or hunter paces, or swimming) like the horses of my childhood did. I didn't know any better.

Now that this one is semi-retired and sometimes teaches kids in the ring but *only* hacks out with me, I'm glad I was ignorant. He's a useful, fun horse to be around just like that Appendix.

mvp
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:28 AM
And another thing....

When I was a kid, rich old ladies showed their field hunters in the AOs.

Some horses showed in all three divisions.

Everyone just worshipped these multipurpose horses.

FlashGordon
Mar. 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
The jack of all trades, multi-purpose ones are the best.

We used to do the local show circuit, trail ride for hours, did clinics and games, I even took him to camp with me each summer. My little sister rode him in the W/T divisions, my non-horsey mom even took lessons on him.

I was just telling my husband last night how I didn't appreciate the horse when I had him-- I just thought they were all like that! I remember as I outgrew him, wanting something younger and fancier. Now I'd trade my left arm for something like him again.

I'm hoping when I'm in the market again, maybe in a year or two, I'll be able to find a horse that some kid has done just about everything with and then outgrown. No better way to bombproof a horse than to let a 13 year old do whatever they want with it! :lol:

Natalie A
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:53 PM
I ride one of these! A good soul, jack of all trades but master of none sort that my trainer found as a lease for one of her students. Registered breeding stock paint but with Appendix QH lines. He has a TB body and a QH mind, the perfect combo for novice riders I think. He used to be a drill team horse, but he got asked to leave because he was too tall, lol. Now he's a lesson horse extraordinaire at my trainer's small lesson program and gets positively doted on by everyone. Hope I can continue to find these good soul type horses throughout my riding career.

And just because he's cute, too:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/168194_538441965924_10300790_31622843_2866323_n.jp g

FlashGordon
Mar. 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
See now the problem with Appendix QHs comes when the QH trainers try to treat them like typical QHs. Some of them have that TB brain that won't necessarily tolerate the same tactics.

I had an Appendix who was lovely but his brain had been so scrambled by doing the QH thing at a young age. He was unsuccessful not because he didn't physically have what it takes, but because mentally he was fried by the AQHA trainer who tried to fit him into the typical QH training box.

Not all QH trainers are like that though and now with the increased influence of TB blood in the breed I think more have adapted their training styles.

But if you put an Appendix with a TB brain in the hands of an old school QH trainer used to halter or foundation bred stock you may well end up with one very pretty mess.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:20 PM
While her horse was laid up with a suspensory injury, my sister had the great privilege of riding Fancy. Fancy was a national reining champion in her youth, which was, well, we won't mention how many years ago; she is the sort of lady who wears purple. Now she belongs to Caves Farm and primarily teaches adult beginners. She is all of 14.3 on a tall day. She qualified my sister for the local medal finals and allowed her to finish fourth in the year-end standings in the equitation, if I recall correctly.

Fancy is as Fancy does. Fancy does. http://i55.tinypic.com/nnqrug.jpg

shawneeAcres
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
While her horse was laid up with a suspensory injury, my sister had the great privilege of riding Fancy. Fancy was a national reining champion in her youth, which was, well, we won't mention how many years ago; she is the sort of lady who wears purple. Now she belongs to Caves Farm and primarily teaches adult beginners. She is all of 14.3 on a tall day. She qualified my sister for the local medal finals and allowed her to finish fourth in the year-end standings in the equitation, if I recall correctly.

Fancy is as Fancy does. Fancy does. http://i55.tinypic.com/nnqrug.jpg

cute!!!!!!

FlashGordon
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:41 PM
Great pic Renn!!!!

benni
Mar. 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
I know - those guys are the best! Fond, sweet memories!

mvp
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:15 AM
See now the problem with Appendix QHs comes when the QH trainers try to treat them like typical QHs. Some of them have that TB brain that won't necessarily tolerate the same tactics.

I had an Appendix who was lovely but his brain had been so scrambled by doing the QH thing at a young age. He was unsuccessful not because he didn't physically have what it takes, but because mentally he was fried by the AQHA trainer who tried to fit him into the typical QH training box.

Not all QH trainers are like that though and now with the increased influence of TB blood in the breed I think more have adapted their training styles.

But if you put an Appendix with a TB brain in the hands of an old school QH trainer used to halter or foundation bred stock you may well end up with one very pretty mess.

Well put!

IMO, it takes a very special horse to tolerate what I think is the Western Pleasure training box. It seems to me that Quarter Horses have been selectively bred to take an extraordinary amount of crap from people.

Just because there are many saintly QHs around doesn't mean a horse with that in its pedigree will. I do feel sorry for the horses who get in to this "square peg in a round hole" situation.

But send your average Appendix to a USEF Hunter training program and you have a star student.

Cliffy
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:58 AM
We have been blessed with some wonderful horses, including the one from which my post name is derived. However, my DD, who now shows A/O hunters, got her start, her confidence and her love of the sport from a wonderful, stocky registered quarter horse with a pony card. Bet Your Boots was the only show pony she ever had. Boots took her from a girl who was not sure about jumping 2 feet to a girl ready to be a champion in the rated childrens hunters. That pony was amazing. She will always have a place in my heart.:yes: