PDA

View Full Version : Barn Cat Problem

LauraKY
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
So, another cat has been dumped off at my farm, this time an un-neutered male (of course).

He's very sweet and affectionate, I suspect he was a house cat and they were to lazy or cheap to neuter him...when he started spraying they dumped him.

My cat, Lily despises him. He follows her everywhere. Will this stop if I have him neutered? I've never had a male cat before...only females.

I was about ready to go to the shelter to pick up another cat for the barn anyway. My other cat disappeared last fall and has never come back and my barn dog just died a couple of weeks ago, so my barn kitty is very lonely.

Does he have a chance or do I need to find another home? Which is next to impossible. My county has no law on stray cats, the shelter won't take them (and adopts out un-neutered animals). And they wonder why we have a problem! I asked, sarcastically, if I should just run over him with my truck, and the shelter worker told me: "I can't tell you to do that." Really? You don't sound horrified?

So, is there a chance that brain surgery will cure him of annoying the heck out of my wonderful Lily cat?

GoForAGallop
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
Yes!

Get those balls snipped and he, and your Lily, will both be much happier. I have had many many cats over my life (six right now, four females two males), and my household has always been co-ed. :lol: Even with late-neutered males, they quickly settle right down and fit in as normal members of society, instead of sex-driven monsters.

deckchick
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
I am the recipient of many an unwanted cat. If someone wants to re-home their cat with me, it needs to be fixed. My last Tom was fixed, but he just pestered Missy Kitty to death. They are both fixed, so sometimes the boys are just horny PITA's.

So my experience is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Either way that boy needs to be fixed, thank goodness boys are way cheaper then girls to fix....

LauraKY
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
Bless you! I've had to lock up the tack room because he's spraying in there. So, the mice will have a field day for a while.

How long (and will he) before he stops spraying?

jetsmom
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:34 PM
Neutering should help. But you might want to have the vet check for a UTI while he's there, just in case that's the problem. Stress will also cause it, so he may quit oncehe relaxes a little. Being dumped in a strange place is probably somewhat stressful.

sk_pacer
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:01 PM
De-balling will settle him down. As to the spraying, probably stress related - he was ripped from his home by people he trusted and kicked out of a vehicle and is desperately trying to make the new place smell like home. BTW, spraying is NOT limited to intact males as both females (spayed or not) and neutered males will do this to mark their territory; my whole troop of barn kitties go around in a group and spray bushes, fenceposts and outbuildings every spring and after a rain.