PDA

View Full Version : seeding pasture advice needed

Bobuddy
Mar. 26, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I am currently on the "list" for the drill seeder at our local farm store, however, I am not sure when I will be able to get it. I am anxious to get seed in to our pasture before it is too late.

I do have at home a broadcast spreader and a heavy duty chair harrow/drag that I can use. Last week I used the chain harrow and got the pasture pretty level and manure broken up.

I am thinking of chain harrowing again and then broadcast spreading the seed and then repeat the harrow/drag. Would that be a good way to seed or should I just cross my fingers for the seeder to come available?

I only have about 3 acres to do - and it is supposed to snow tonight - so I am thinking that it might be a good time to do this.

Suggestions?

Tom King
Mar. 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
Are you sure you have enough tractor for the drill? The smallest one I know of is all my 70 hp wants to pull, and you also need at least one remote to operate the transport wheels.

Drilling is surefire that every seed will sprout. Broadcasting is used a lot more, but you do need a bit of luck for the stand to come up with good coverage.

Bobuddy
Mar. 26, 2011, 05:12 PM
If the drill seeder becomes available (I have been "next on the list for 3 weeks now) then I will be borrowing my neighbor's tractor.

I hate to keep waiting for the seeder and then it end up be too late to seed by the time it becomes available. I am getting different opinions on how successful the broadcast/harrow method will work.

We had another significant drought last year and my pastures are a mess and doubtful to come back unless seeded again.

Almost Heaven
Mar. 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
For moderate to light overseeding, I do it all at once, including fertilizer and grass seed in a broadcast spreader, while pulling a chain harrow/drag. I put the spreader on about 1/2 the rate I want and overlap at relatively high speed. The drag shows you exactly the last track for accuracy.

For heavy overseeding and more accuracy, I fertilize first and then seed, both times using the drag.

Visually (germination is just occurring on most fields) this has been very effective.

Agree, drill is most effective and has been proven to maximize germination. But when you gotta, you gotta. Everybody wants the drill at the same time.

shawneeAcres
Mar. 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
We have used the method of seed and then drag with chain harrow many times and it works well as long as you time the seeding with a good soaking rain, snow would work too. Otherwise you feed the birds!