PDA

View Full Version : Durable Square All Purpose Schooling Pads

alteringwego
Mar. 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
I recently bought several of the Roma pads for schooling and they can't hold up to the daily washing and wearing of my barn. Any recommendations for a more durable, good looking daily pad. Like them to have a bit of substance (no baby pads) and a place for the girths to go through. Thanks!

Jo
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've bought several of those $10 pads from Dover and have been impressed at their durability. They have more expensive ones that have trim and piping in different colors.

Rio Blanco
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:54 AM
Smartpaks brand of pads are like $20-22 and there is a 20% off code for them...I'm ordering some...

kellidahorsegirl
Mar. 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
I've bought several of those $10 pads from Dover and have been impressed at their durability. They have more expensive ones that have trim and piping in different colors.

I have a couple of these as well. The pad itself is holding up pretty well after a year of daily use... only thing I notice that happens is some of the stitching has come loose on the 'quilting'. So the actual structure isn't truly compromised, but there are loose threads everywhere.

I also got one from SLT years ago (the kind with the 'double' pad) that is about to die, but it's nearly 12 years old. They have them at VTO now I think

mypaintwattie
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have two of the cheap $10 pads from Dover that are over 3 years old, other than fading they have held up well.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 27, 2011, 06:36 AM
The Dover pads. You just have to be careful re sizing--some of them are small; no problem for us, we have small saddles, but once you get to 17" + you just want to watch the shrinkage.

But they are the best value--we have many that are 3-5 years old and going strong.

It's a good idea to have a week's worth of pads in the tack trunk, that way it's only ONE load of wash each week (per horse) and less wear on the pads and the washer.

amastrike
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:16 AM
PRI pads are the best. Large enough to fit under any saddle, enough cushioning without altering fit, lots of colors... A bit pricey at around $25 apiece, but totally worth it.

*Liz*
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:34 AM
Color me another vote for the $10 dover pads. I bought 4 about 5? years ago, and except for the white one (which I keep for shows, clinics, etc.) they've been used daily and washed after every ride. They may be fading a touch, but they're still holding up great.

Zenyatta
Mar. 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
Love the Dover pads.:winkgrin:

Halfhalting
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
Can somebody link the dover saddle pads you're talking about? I don't see any for $10 when I sorted by price... so I wasn't sure if that was a sale price for a certain style. Thanks in advance!

headsupheelsdown
Mar. 27, 2011, 10:46 AM
I think they are talking about baby pads. You can get them in packs of threes for like $30/ $12 each. Unlike regular pads, they are meant to be worn once and tossed in the wash and are built to withstand that .

shmon
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:13 AM
Nope, not baby pads. These: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MA-1997A

I have been exchanging all my baby pads from Beval's as they age for these - they hold their shape better, don't wrinkle up under the saddle, and are contoured at the wither. I have about 5 or 6 of them at this point and the oldest 3 are about 3 years old. They still look as new as the day I got them, minus a couple dirt stains, and with monogramming they're very high quality looking. I have not bought any other pad since I found out how well these work.

Lucassb
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
Dover puts their pads on sale pretty frequently... if you get their catalog, check out the sale pages to find them, as they don't ever seem to indicate those prices on their website (and it seems like the item number is different - you have to use the one listed in the sale portion of the catalog to get the sale price, kind of a PITA.)

I personally love their thin, shaped baby pads and have several that I've used on a daily basis for several years. They have worn like iron and are just now starting to show some wear:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-1923&ids=312156556

If you want a thicker pad - more of a traditional quilted square pad - I have a couple of these as well, and they have also worn really well:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%92s-international-quilted-saddle-pad-with-piping/p/X1-1976/c2p/cs/

I've also heard really good things about the new Smartpak pads, but haven't tried them myself...

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=9496&cm_vc=Search ($20)

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
Another vote for Dover's pads! They are long lasting, easy to clean and it takes a while for the colors to fade. We also buy them in our barn colors (with our logo) as gifts for our show clients since they look good and are inexpensive.

Trixie
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:52 PM
I like the dover pads a lot but need to be careful about shrinking. My saddle is much longer than my old one and I usually wind up throwing a baby pad over top to keep it clean. Any ideas for extra long ones?

ponyjumper525
Mar. 27, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dover Pads! I have some, use them every day (wash like once a week) and they're about 2 years old!

moodymaretoo
Mar. 27, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm a Dover saddle pad "addict".
There is only so many pads that 1 horse can reasonably use.
Once I pretty much got all the color combo's with that 1997 pad... I got started on their dress pads... they aren't very expensive at all and hold up great I don't have that one memorized (YET).
I cut the billet straps off and then take a seam ripper to get out the left over bits.. I don't know why that part drives me nuts...
But now that I think about it, I could just use the seam ripper to get it off instead of cutting part of it off.... anyway...
Now after collecting their dress pads... I've had to get my "fix" with custom color pads.
There really should be a 12 step program for saddle pad addicts.
But yeah LOVE Dover's pads, I have so many I haven't the need to try SmartPak's.

Simbalism
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:55 PM
Another vote for the $10 Dover saddle pads. I have one in most of the solid colors except for burgundy and white. (burgundy not looking that great on my chestnut mare, and white not a great color for a daily schooling pad) I pretty much change pads daily in the summer (winter less often) and they have held up well to frequent washing.

peachy
Mar. 28, 2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the 20% off tip Rio Blanco! I just got online to order a couple of the SmartPak pads to try them out myself, when I spotted this thread and your post. Love COTH!

Let's_Motor
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
I prefer buying the dressage versions of Dover's pads because they shrink so much...

jen-s
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hijack, but I have trouble with the Dover pads not having enough of a contour at the wither. Any suggestions for other pads? The Roma pads fit my fella better, but I agree that they don't hold up as well and seem to be much hotter.

seabreeze
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
I just got a new Dover catalog a couple of weeks ago, and I think I remember seeing an XL version of their Rider's pads for the 17"+ saddles.

I want to try some of those new SmartPak pads with the 20% off coupon, too.

Happy shopping!

Bolero
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
I've also heard really good things about the new Smartpak pads, but haven't tried them myself...

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=9496&cm_vc=Search ($20)[/quote]

I bought the Small Diamond from SmartPak (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=9503). It's great! The fabric is really durable and fits very nicely.

Sonoma City
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:45 PM
I really like EOUS pads. They wash well, don't seem to shrink too much, and come in nice colors. These are the two versions that I have:

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=EO00110

and

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=EO00111