PDA

View Full Version : The best way to get your name around?

Smarnell
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
What are the ways someone can get their name out around in the top circuit - someone who does not come from a horse family or who hasn't had as much experience as those already competing in the "A" circuit?

SnicklefritzG
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:47 AM
Not totally related to your question, but the best way to make a small fortune in the equine world is to start with a large one...

fourmares
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:51 AM
Get a super fancy horse and win a lot... better yet, get several. The more your name is announced over the loud speaker the better.

Smarnell
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:09 AM
Snicklefritz, care to explain?

doublesstable
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:38 AM
Smarnell, are you sure you want to know how to get your name around? :lol: I'm sorry but I found the title of the thread really funny..... I must now get my mind out of the gutter and keep it G rated for there may be children present....

And I am no help on the probably intended question - - other than spending time at a good barn, helping etc.....

Czar
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:24 AM
As fourmares already said....win.

Polydor
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:29 AM
Not totally related to your question, but the best way to make a small fortune in the equine world is to start with a large one...

Its a well known saying that goes " To make a million dollars in the horse business , start with to million." Horses don't make money period.

As to actually getting your name out there. Ride winners, train people who win. Talk with the top people, advertise everywhere. Basically market yourself and live up to what you advertise.

doublestable: Hehehe that crossed my mind too.

P.

findeight
Mar. 26, 2011, 11:47 AM
Associate yourself with people who are known on the A circuits. Take fewer lessons with a better known trainer. Go to the A shows with them even if it's just to watch. Save up and show just a couple of A shows instead of a bunch of locals. Try to get a job at an A barn-but they will need to know you pretty well before that happens.

A show people are still just people, nothing all that different about them. You get to know them by spending time with them. That gets your name out a little bit, but you need to ride at A shows to get it out more.
That does take money. Fact of life.

Life is Good 2
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wear rust breeches in the show ring. Everyone will be asking who you are.
Really if you introduce yourself ringside and are a friendly helpful person people will get to know you.

holaamigoalter
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
I could say something really horrible (although true) but I won't start a fire.

Smarnell
Mar. 27, 2011, 12:45 AM
I'm just curious, I have been doing my own things to get experience, I like conversation so I thought this thread would receive interesting responses.

Thanks for the legitimate comments.

CBoylen
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:05 PM
That's a really vague question. You probably need to include some detail as to your purpose. Do you want to make more friends? Find a new trainer? Pursue a career as a professional? Get a job? Raise your profile so that you get more recognition for your own horses for sales or showing purposes?

hntrjmprpro45
Mar. 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
I am going to assume you are talking about building a good repuation as a professional. Here are some basic things that I personally do to help grow my business:

1) take opportunities to "put yourself out there"- horse shows, clinics, volunteer to help, be part of show committees, etc.

2) name and logo recognition- I have "barn colors" and a barn logo that is easily identifiable in my area. I wear items that have that logo and my name at shows, etc.

3) create a website with some sort of resume/back ground info and list of services so that when people google your name they can find real info and not just show results.

4) reputations can be delicate, especially when you are first building one. Be careful of what comments you sign your name to or what pictures you tag yourself in. Facebook, COTH and other media can be just as harmful as it is helpful.

5) most importantly it takes time and some good horses to put you out there in a good light. The best reputations are the ones that are built on years of success rather than "over night" sensations that end up only fading out after a few good years.

Good luck!

gottagrey
Mar. 27, 2011, 11:52 PM
Get your name out /around as what? rider, trainer (sometimes they are two different people) braider,amateur, photographer, vendor or what?