PDA

View Full Version : Depo Provera - good and bad experiences?

murph
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:13 PM
Spoke to my vet and considering putting a couple of pony mares on Depo for this show season. Both are horrible to ride when in season, one gets very hot, spooky, flighty, the other basically doesn't want to move and turns into a total grouch. It's expensive obviously and I've never used it before so curious about other people's experiences with it, good and bad?

I've done some internet research and seen veterinary articles and studies that flat out state it does not work in horses at all, they still cycle etc, does not work as it does in humans. These studies said the only proven method was daily Regumate, which I don't want to get in to. That really surprised me, now don't know what to think?!

Soooo who has used it and what were your results? Did your mare stop cycling? What behaviourial changes did you see? How often did you give it? And what dosage/strength did you use?

Thanks for any input :)

holaamigoalter
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
i used it for 3 months and saw no difference in my mare.

mroades
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:30 PM
works much better on geldings than mares...lol
regumate is the best way to go...it comes in a shot now!

Lieb Schon
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi there,

I've tried both.

Regumate yes, depo no.

If cost is an issue, you can buy 1000 cc jug of regumate for around $280.00- 300.00 and feed 1cc per 100 lbs of weight. If you know when they cycle, just start 2-3 weeks before and slowly wean off by dropping dosage each week when you are done. It doesn't have to be fed year around, and it's easy to give. I used to use it seasonally, but it's just simpler to use a maintenance dose on my 1100lb mare most of the year, and then up it during her peaks in spring and fall.
Let's put it this way, if you are already on birth control, what do you care? I've given it regularly without gloves and I still have normal periods. (Obviosly not ingesting or bathing in it!)

murph
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
If Depo doesn't work in mares (don't know about geldings lol) then why is it that you hear SO many show horses are on it??!

What is the regumate shot and how often is it given? I know there's a slow release compounded injectable progesterone from one pharmacy, don't have much info on it though but I think it's once every 10 days.

Perfect10
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:29 PM
There's a mare at my barn on it, and it does wonders for her. We always know when she needs it, but as soon as she gets it, she's a much better girl. My gelding got it for a few years and it helped him too.

holaamigoalter
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:30 AM
If Depo doesn't work in mares (don't know about geldings lol) then why is it that you hear SO many show horses are on it??!

Because it does wonders for soundness.

Sparky Boy
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:44 AM
Because it does wonders for soundness.

Really???

Small Change
Mar. 26, 2011, 08:00 AM
We've got two in the barn we tried on Depo-Provera, and it made no difference at all for either mare. One is now happy on ReguMate, and the other needed nothing more than some significant changes to how she's ridden in addition to body work.

c.harrison1
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:16 AM
works much better on geldings than mares...lol
regumate is the best way to go...it comes in a shot now!

Yup! Mare went into raging heat on depo :( gelding is lovely with depo! Regumate is much better! Mroades, can you give me some info on the shot form?

Horseymama
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:50 AM
The injectable Regumate is called "Altrenogest," and it works great. I read somewhere that Regumate works on 99% of mares. Altrenogest is given IM once per week, it's really easy, it's the same price as regular Regumate, and you don't have to worry about feeding it.

Regumate works for mares to keep them out of heat, it is a hormone, as is Depo, but Regumate is for mares, for that reason. I have had it work wonders on crabby and/or sassy mares. I have used Depo on geldings and stallions, never on a mare.

Holaamigoalter, a hormone is a hormone, not a pain killer, analgesic, etc., so I don't know why you would think it affects soundness.

findeight
Mar. 26, 2011, 11:39 AM
Depo works better if you time it with their cycle. If you get it right, it retards the ovulation and the "pissy" hormones. If you mistime it? Not so much. They usually have a 21 day cycle (not 28 like we do) so they need that shot every 21 days. Unless you got one that...er...."displays" when she cycles in? You really have a hard time figuring out the timing.

It worked for me but was a PITA so we went to the Regumate (oral) from March thru October. It's stays at a consistent level in the system which is easier for all.

It can even out some geldings that can get obnoxious and you don't need to time it, they usually get an injection a few days before a show.

Soundness???? Whyever would hormones have any effect at all on sore feet or similar? Unless you are talking a mare with a painful cycle or problem ovaries?