PDA

View Full Version : Where did it go? Help???

iccir
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
So I'm an adult, I have a nice solid amatuer jumper that I just adore. I board him at a nice show barn. I think I've lost my desire to horse show! How does that just dissappear? Now I don't know how to handle the up coming show season. My trainer want's to talk about the schedule this weekend....I've been able to avoid this topic until now. Do I tell her how I feel or maybe as the horse shows get closer will I get my groove back? I'm afraid that she will be miffed at me....Help?

SunkenMeadow
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
Sometimes that happens. Everyone needs a break from time to time. Do you work? Can you say that something at work is going to make you postpone adecision on showing a couple months and buy yourself some time?

luvs2ridewbs
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:52 PM
You could always have your trainer show your horse in a couple of Level 1s and 2s and see if it makes you want to give it a try.

iccir
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Both great ideas. Last year I couldn't get enough showing in, I was just loving it. Wanted to go, go, go.....I guess I just expected to feel the same way this year. Puzzling.

kateh
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:18 PM
I lost my "competitive drive" too this year. I just don't care anymore. I do want to continue learning and improving, but it's more for my personal benefit than to better my odds of winning.

Depending on your relationship with your trainer, you could just tell her the truth, tell her money's a little tight right now, you want to spend some more time with your family this summer, etc. Make it clear that you're still very happy with her training.

I've also found I really enjoy tagging along at shows and just being the extra pair of hands for friends.

DMK
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
Things change, who says you have to show forever? Heaven knows it is insanely expensive, so you better really want to do it!

I retired my old horse from showing in 2008 and bought a yearling prospect. Since then I've been playing around and starting the youngster... and now that the youngster is ready to show, I find myself sort of "meh" about the whole thing. I don't want to not show, but I can tell you that whole cost/time equation is factoring into my decision a lot more than it used to...

(I took the youngster to his first o/f show a few weeks ago and he was so good on Friday/Saturday that I took that as a sign to bag Sunday and go on a trail ride instead!)

caradino
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:04 PM
I lost my "competitive drive" too this year. I just don't care anymore. I do want to continue learning and improving, but it's more for my personal benefit than to better my odds of winning.

Depending on your relationship with your trainer, you could just tell her the truth, tell her money's a little tight right now, you want to spend some more time with your family this summer, etc. Make it clear that you're still very happy with her training.

I've also found I really enjoy tagging along at shows and just being the extra pair of hands for friends.

:yes: Just be honest! Do you HAVE to show to stay in your trainer's program? If not, I'm sure she will understand that you just want to take a break for a bit. And it IS fun to tag along and help out your barnmates, which might also bring back your desire to show. If not, that's ok too.

ShaSamour
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
I used to be a horse show fanatic. Every weekend, rain or shine. Not anymore. I've been getting more satisfaction out of training and improving, then going to a show when we're really prepared. It's sort of like a test, just to see if I've really got it down and can replicate in a "no do-overs" environment.

If you don't feel like showing, don't show! Heaven knows it's so dreadfully expensive. As one of my dear friends would always tell me, showing is just one thing you do with your horse. If it's gotten old, then put your effort (and $$$) elsewhere -- do some clinics, try a hunter pace, do one additional lesson a week, hack out, something. And your horse will be no worse for wear for a break from the show routine. Who knows, it might do you both good!

Don't be afraid to tell your trainer. If she's a professional worth her salt, she's likely to have been there at some point herself, and she'll understand. As my trainer tells me when I get in a rut, there isn't a pro out there who hasn't been in a rut at some point too.

Just my $0.02

mvp
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:18 PM
I used to feel this way on and off at the beginning of show season-- especially if I had been gung ho the previous one. Your body and wallet seem to have some "muscle memory" that says "That was hard!" even if you enjoyed it.

Don't avoid your trainer, but let her know you might not want to be so intense this year. She might not have a problem, but didn't have reason to expect you wouldn't repeat what you did last year.

I also think that if you have this conversation first, then plan a couple of shows well spaced out, you'll give yourself a chance to see if you can get your groove back.

MoonWitch
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
And it's all true!! It's happens - don't feel bad! I used to take my horse and my clothes for a ride every weekend when it happened to me!! I'd get there with the rest of the barn and wait around all day til it was my turn to go & would bail.

Now I've moved on, and I do some fun shows here & there when the mood strikes, but mostly I just enjoy my horses and my friends & family.

Sometimes it's natures way of telling you to take stock of things around you to see what really makes you happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks, right??:winkgrin:

norcalammie
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:56 PM
I too lost the urge to show. I enjoy my horse and recently moved to a barn that is not as show oriented - horse on semi lay up for about 4-6 months. I still enjoy going to the barn and love the peace and quiet of the new barn but will still go watch and help when others from the old barn are showing.

Just take a break and see if you miss it. If you do, you can always show again and I am sure your trainer would be happy to have you show. If you do not miss it, that is fine too. Hopefully you are not at a barn that requires you to go to x number of shows a year.

Enjoy - in this economy many of us are really looking at where our money goes and that is fine too.

serendipityhunter
Mar. 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Ditto what moonwitch said. I have determined I am much happier not showing. I have been working hard to improve my horse and may do a couple schooling shows this summer but I am so much happier now that I am not pressuring myself to show, I am enjoying and appreciating my horse much more also. I also have a stressful job and time is precious to me, so giving up one weekend day several times a month, just doesn't appeal to me anymore!! That being said, I love the show environment and luv to go hang out and help friends when they are showing! Do what makes YOU happy, believe me your horse could care less if he shows or not, I know mine has been happy as a clam!!

iccir
Mar. 28, 2011, 09:16 AM
Thank you all sooo much, it really does help to know this can be normal. I'm just going to play it by ear. I talked to my trainer and she understands. I may send my horse to a few shows with a nice Jr. rider and just be the proud groom and mother at the side of the ring. I'll show if I get that "inspiration" back. It's nice to realize that there are options. I also love the horse show lifestyle and love hanging out with friends and helping so I think I will just do that a bit and see how I feel. :)