PDA

View Full Version : coincidence,bad luck or big problem

Life is Good 2
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:16 PM
My friend just called very upset. She got a call from her trainer saying her horse is off. After talking to other people in the barn she finds out 3 others are off, all right front. The horses all have a very different way of going and all are under 11. She is wondering if this could have to do with the way the trainer rides or is it random misfortune. I said I would post to get your ideas.

Life is Good 2
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
Just was reshodd, same blacksmith. No abcess on any of them, good paddock footing but muddy, different lessons but all 3'to3'6" Trainer back from being gone for 1 month.

Life is Good 2
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
All the horses have been in work and doing the same job. They have great footing at her barn and it is always dragged, wish mine was as nice. She just sent me a text, another one is off!

Czar
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
How many horses in the barn?

I think it's a HUGE jump to blame the trainer. I don't even know how a trainer could make 4 horses go lame just on the right front (maybe lungeing like crazy to the right??).

Doesn't even make sense - it would be the absolute last thing I would think of...does your friend even trust her trainer in general?

Timex
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
I can't think of a way to make 4 horses off, all on the RF that wouldn't be blantant abuse, as a trainer. I'd look to a hot nail or something along that line before jumping on the trainer. What are the trainer's thoughts? Has your friend asked them?

mvp
Mar. 25, 2011, 05:14 PM
All four didn't happen to get off a slant-load trailer that came back from Florida in one long haul, did they?

GreystoneKC
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:18 PM
All four didn't happen to get off a slant-load trailer that came back from Florida in one long haul, did they?

What a good and interesting idea...

mrsbradbury
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:10 PM

Oy! very interesting. We have a head to head, and I don't think anything but ponies fit in a slant.

netg
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
How many horses in the barn?

I think it's a HUGE jump to blame the trainer. I don't even know how a trainer could make 4 horses go lame just on the right front (maybe lungeing like crazy to the right??).

Doesn't even make sense - it would be the absolute last thing I would think of...does your friend even trust her trainer in general?

This quickly and with the horses in the same work as they had been it seems a huge jump to blame the trainer - but it seems too coincidental for something not to be up that happened situation-wise. Even if it's the same slant load trailer, or they have the same configuration of feeders in their stalls that they were playing with while anxious for feed or something.

I *have* seen trainers who make horses go lame in front all the time. It's longe, hard, with no warmup, in a small circle, then get on and ride a horse on the forehand and make it go over jumps without ever teaching it to use its back end. A barn where very few horses pass their vet checks, but young ones have arthritis within a short time of getting there.

This situation doesn't sound like one where the trainer has changed enough in their routines or has practices which typically leave horses lame, so I have trouble believing the trainer is to blame.

mvp
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think anyone implied *blaming* the trainer.

Since these are all RFs, here's what I'd consider. But these really aren't likely causes, IMO.

Hot nails. I haven't ever seen a shoeing job that clearly reflects a farrier being right-handed or left handed. But could this guy be starting the nails differently with left- and right hooves? I couldn't imagine any but a really newbie farrier creating this kind of problem.

Does the rider do a quick-n-dirty warm up, always in the same direction? Does the rider look pretty dang crooked on a horse, or create a different "feel" in your left and right hand? Again, I don't think an experienced pro would create asymmetries in horses to the point that many are officially lame in the same leg.

Other than that, I think you need to look for some kind of hex put on your barn. Any 4-legged voodoo dolls with pins stuck in the RF left lying around?

kinnip
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:34 AM
I have seen a trainer do this to multiple horses, but it was from spinning in reining.

findeight
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:58 PM
How "off" are they??? NQR at 1 out of 5 or 3 legged lame at 4 or 5 out of 5?

Thing is, can't be sure it is just the RF, especially if it's a 1, without seeing them go and having the vet do flexions and maybe blocks. Could be just showing in the RF and be from different causes like hocks, back or just muscle soreness.

Also, second hand info from a friend who maybe overreacting a bit is hard to base any decent opinion on.

And, did they just ship back??? I never had any problems caused by a slant load but sometimes an out of balance wheel/uneven tire pressure/trailer that is not level/does not travel straight/uneven braking on a long haul can get them sore on one side. Doesn't show up on the short hauls.

Life is Good 2
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
Only one just shipped back and in a big semi type rig. They think they figured out a possible cause. There is a leak in the indoor roof and some clumpy footing at that one end. Her trainer rides more like a jumper(sharp turns) and these are all hunters. There is a sharp right turn right where the footing is wet. This might be the problem. All were about 1.5 off. Interesting about the slant load, I never heard that before.

findeight
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:31 PM
If trainer made the same kind of turn the same direction in a deep spot on all of them it might be the cause for this low grade lameness. Should clear up pretty quick.

I never heard that about a slant either and my barn does use it and has hauled 18-20 hours with one. No soreness. But heard of and seen many instances of one sided sorness in any trailer that is not set up properly as I mentioned earlier. Plus a lead footed, steering wheel yanking driver does not help either.

vbunny
Mar. 26, 2011, 05:10 PM
Boy, you are fast to pull the trigger LG2

Life is Good 2
Mar. 26, 2011, 07:21 PM
Trainer told her he thinks it was the footing and the sharp turns. He is changing the jumps around and giving everyone a few days off. They all seem happy and it is worked out. He was honest and realized he might have caused it, good guy.