PDA

View Full Version : Melanie Smith Taylor clinic report?

Tippy
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:55 AM
Anyone attend the clinic in SC that wants to share their notes? I would love to hear all about it since I could not go.

Thanks!

BAC
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
I would love to hear a report as well.

Rio Blanco
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm clinicing with her next weekend in the 3'6" jumpers group. I would love to hear what exercises she had set up at the clinic. We've been working on a lot of what was seen a lot in her EAP clinics, but aside from that, I had a very hard time finding much of any videos from her regular clinics that involved more than a group of riders capable of more than 3' fence height.

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
See you next weekend Rio! :D

I would love an idea as well. I made a playlist of all her stuff. She seems to do a lot of emphasis on smooth control. Canter, back to trot, back to canter.

I'm super excited! But why are there no reviews on her clinics in PH? She's been doing enough of them! At least for Joe Fargis I found some diagrams and an article to work off from!

In the Air
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
We were there. The organizers hosted a lovely clinic, very well done. Melanie was very good. My only complaint is that she is way too nice. I was begging for her channel some vintage George at some of the idiots in the clinic. Who signs up for a clinic with a teacher of Melanie's level and then they announce as she asks them to jumps a easy triple combo. "I've never actually jumped three fences before" I almost died...

Two of the riders in the 3'6" goup had no business jumping 2 feet much less 3'6".

Other then me wanting to yank a few people out of the ring, Melanie gave a great clinic. A saint that woman was...

Rio Blanco
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:19 PM
In the Air....the clinic next weekend has asked her to do a "greenie group" specifically for those horses that aren't ready for coursework. THEN. WHY. CLINIC?!?!?!?! Gah.

BAC
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:27 PM
Who signs up for a clinic with a teacher of Melanie's level and then they announce as she asks them to jumps a easy triple combo. "I've never actually jumped three fences before" I almost died...

:eek: Unbelievable. :no:

In the Air
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:36 PM
The "I've never jumped three fences before" wasn't even the worst one :eek::eek:

What are these guys thinking...
I think that before the start of every section they should set up two or three fences at the section height. If you can get over them, not through or under or around, then you may enter the ring....;)

In the Air
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
In the Air....the clinic next weekend has asked her to do a "greenie group" specifically for those horses that aren't ready for coursework. THEN. WHY. CLINIC?!?!?!?! Gah.

smart people, we had people who refused to move sections when they were obviously way over their heads.. they should make them sign a form agreeing to move if told to do so.

They could have filled the greenie section if they had one.

Rio Blanco
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:46 PM
I just hope the 3'6" group is a legit 3'6" group next weekend. My mare being an exGP horse is a beast over smaller fences, although she is much more respectful of me now than she was before, but the respect for the fences definately increases her respect for me telling her how she's going to get the job done. :lol:

I'll post pics and video from next weekend. I hope she's brutally honest. I'm clinicing with her now, showing all summer, then clinicing with GM in the fall. I have a feeling GM will be getting on my horse and yelling "See how lovely your mare is when you're NOT on her?!?" :eek: haha.

BAC
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:56 PM
The "I've never jumped three fences before" wasn't even the worst one :eek::eek:

That is really pathetic. I'm from the school that believes the riders should just shut up and do whatever the clinician tells them to do. Melanie must be a saint.

DMK
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:47 PM

Well, both PNWJumper and I have specifically done a clinic for that very purpose, but it was with the advance agreement of the clinician (Greg Best in this case). It's not a bad thing for either the clinician, the rider or the greenie, but it has to be within context. It would absolutely be unfair to more advanced riders/horses to be in the same group.

Actually, I would include Melanie Smith Taylor in a list of clinicians I'd like to work with a green horse, so the request isn't bad in itself, it's the quality of rider on the green horse that is going to make or break that section.

(But yes, I do see people in some of these clinics with more money than mad skilz)

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
I do realize that this puts me in the fantasy island category but I feel that there needs to be SOME sort of process for figuring out where people belong in a clinic. LIke some sort of "audition" tape needs to be submitted (thank youtube!) or recommendations from your trainer or trainers. Or a show record. "Yes, Peaches can show successfully at 3' as is evidenced by her record on Fantasy Island Show Circuit".

I've seen one too many clinics where some goober mucks up the entire group by riding like refried dog brains and more than likely took the spot of someone who ACTUALLY could ride and absorb the information.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

DMK
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
It does explain why so many farms keep their clinics super double secret and only tell "known entities" the secret date and time. ;D

Beenthere
Mar. 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
Melanie can teach more on the flat and to green horses then one might think and she actually likes working with the young horses. We have hosted many clinics with her and others and yes, there is an art to running a clinic which is learned with some bumps and bruises along the way. Once you have a regular following of clinic participants you get to know who should be in what section and it works out better. Sadly the clinician is at the mercy of the organizer in that regard. Hopefully riders understand that and don't hold the clinician responsible. The clinician has to work with what is put in front of them.

The feedback I received was that the clinic was well attended; well run; the riders and horses overall were quite good and happy with the clinic; and that the riders would come again if Melanie comes back. All nice compliments.

But I will say, she has done many clinics for us and as she gets to know you she gets much more strict but still maintains that smile! As far as EAP, she does not hold back.