PDA

View Full Version : About waste management

mariya
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:28 AM
I have five horses, the horses most of the time; they live outside all the time. How do we keep the horse business cleaned up out there? Is there someone who can help us with that? Where do we put it? We need to do waste management regularly.

KBEquine
Mar. 25, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have five horses, the horses most of the time; they live outside all the time. How do we keep the horse business cleaned up out there? Is there someone who can help us with that? Where do we put it? We need to do waste management regularly.

Many years ago we rode up a local road & the "road apples" were gone by the time we rode back DOWN the rode - neighbors scooped them up to fertilize their gardens. There were 2 ponies & 3 horses on the property.

Fast forward to now - we have way more horses & in the fall we run an add on craigslist (but any local gardening newspaper will do) that says something like "Free horse manure - we load, you haul - call xxx-xx-xxxx to arrange a time to pick up."

So gather it, compost it, and advertise it where gardeners will read the ad - a newspaper, gardening internet site or where ever. Also - we were more successful than our "competitors" because we offered it for free to anyone who could cart it away. Folks who tried to sell manure - even for a little money to cover their fuel costs - were less successful. Theirs is still piled on their property. Ours is gone.

tasia
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:53 PM

You drag it. It brakes up the manure piles. For stall waste I compost it and then spread it on the fields.