PDA

View Full Version : IL to FL Shipping

Frizzle
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:17 PM
So, today I've been contacting seemingly every horse transportation under the sun, and I've gotten three responses from major shippers that either Chicago-Miami is not on their route or they do not have any loads headed this way (Equine Express, Cox Equine, and Beacon Hill). I have quote requests from several other companies pending, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations. I figured there would be a ton of shipping companies making that route (especially since we have several racetracks down here and there's Arlington in Chicago -- although, please forgive me, I don't know much about racing schedules).

This horse is an OTTB, and basically a rescue. His owner is dying and she owes a ton of back board on the horse. The owner of the barn really can't sell him because he has many issues that need to be taken care of. She's willing to let me take him (pending owner's or family's permission) because she knows I'll give him a good home and she really has his best interest at heart. As soon as I can get him signed over to me and get a health cert./Coggins, he'll be ready to go. So, my schedule is pretty flexible.

Any ideas?

Pat Ness
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
http://www.drexlerhorsetransportation.com/

I used them a couple of times - they are in Hampshire, IL -
Loved them!

sar2008
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
I used Bill Meyer to haul my pony from WI to VA and he did a wonderful job. I would for sure use him again, and feel confident recommending him to anyone. He was able to fit me in his schedule and hauls all over the US. His rates are great as well.

http://carisbrooketransport.com/about.html

ETA: He's based in TX, but like I said hauls all over so it's worth giving him a shout!

Frizzle
Mar. 25, 2011, 01:20 PM
Thank you so much for the links! Those two are companies that I haven't come across before, so thanks a lot for adding to my list. :-)

P.S. Is it unreasonable to want to find shipping for less than $1000? I was told that, if I could get in on a big shipment that had empty spaces, it would run around $500. So far, I've gotten quotes anywhere from $1050 to $1500. I really wasn't expecting to have to take on this horse, so I am trying to be as economical as possible (although I certainly wouldn't be a cheapie or risk safety because of money!).

sar2008
Mar. 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
Bill charged me $425 from WI to VA. He was hauling additional ponies from WI as well, but I was the last drop off.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. I hauled a horse from CA to VA. Totally across the country...and it cost me $1000.

poniesinthenight
Mar. 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
Your best bet is to go to U-Ship.com. I have had the best folks in the world ship horses for me from there. You can check out the rigs that they use, the routes they will take, if your horse will be on the trailer for an out of the way pick-up. Just about any question you care to ask. Highly reccomend.

sar2008
Mar. 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
Maybe also post a reply to the Ridesharing/trailerpooling thread over in Off Course.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227169&page=12

animaldoc
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
I have used Tapp's and they were pretty good....I used them out of IL, but they contracted with someone else and then the horse had a layover in Lexington and they took him the rest of the way (that was fine, just wanted you to know that it wasn't like they picked up the horse in IL and delivered him).

Sallee and Brookledge do a lot of the racetrack work, but IMO the problem for the direction that you're going is that most of the vans are probably going from FL north for racing (they start racing at Arlington in May, Keeneland in April, Belmont in April, etc.) so trying to get a horse TO Florida right now, means an empty van and more $$ for you. Of course if you can find someone going down empty anyway, you might get a little break. To me $1000-1500 sounds about right.

Frizzle
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:57 PM
Your best bet is to go to U-Ship.com. I have had the best folks in the world ship horses for me from there.

I guess I'm a bit gun-shy of U-ship because I have had a horrible experience with them. The horses being shipped weren't mine, they were a friend's and her mom's horses, but I was there for the loading and...it wasn't pretty.

The shipping company assured these people that they would bring a TB-height trailer, then called the day of shipment to say that that trailer broke & they had to bring the smaller one. Numerous times while we were loading the horses, one of the drivers made comments about "needing a beer" and they were both just completely unprofessional. One of the horses was (and always had been) very difficult to load and my friend had left very specific instructions to NOT use a whip, even gently to encourage her into the trailer, because the mare would freak out. Well, of course, the people disregarded this and used a whip. It took over an hour to load this mare, and she was beyond friend when she did finally get on the trailer.

Now, I'm not saying that all the companies on U-Ship are like this, but it does seem to be a lot of regular people with a truck/trailer and none of the necessary insurance, etc.

But, again, thank you for the suggestions and please keep them coming! Like someone mentioned, this is probably not the best time of year to be shipping south, but oh well, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. :D So far, I have contacted something like 17 companies for quotes!

Stellaspeed
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
Frizzle, I just spoke with Bill Meyer and he will be heading from Minnesota to Florida shortly !!

Frizzle
Mar. 25, 2011, 03:15 PM
Frizzle, I just spoke with Bill Meyer and he will be heading from Minnesota to Florida shortly !!

Thanks, Stellaspeed! I sent him an e-mail earlier, now I'm just waiting to hear back from him. Fingers crossed! :)

Florent
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
I got as many good and bad adventures within U-Ship and outside U-Ship...

At the end of the day I would recommend discussing over the phone with the company you select, just to make sure they are cordial, nice, and seems experimented. Also, do not neglect the bad reviews you can find online about all those companies...

Recently I heard that C&E is reliable and that they know what they are doing. I never had a chance to haul with them...

Frizzle
Mar. 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
Recently I heard that C&E is reliable and that they know what they are doing. I never had a chance to haul with them...

I've shipped a horse with C & E (it was my friend's horse, he had been with me for six months) and I was very impressed with them. The rig was gorgeous, and the drivers were on time, courteous, knowledgable, and very good with horses. I felt comfortable leaving the horse in C & E's very capable hands. (I have contacted them, and so far they are the lowest quote @ $1050.)

HoofaSchmigetty
Apr. 1, 2011, 10:48 AM
ABOUT U-SHIP.....Want to see your horse again? DO NOT USE U-SHIP.

Google the following

Uship scams
uship thefts

Read about the 10's of THOUSANDS that have been ripped off.

Now tell me how wonderfull they are.

ANy Tom, Dick or Harry with a station wagon and a rusty 2 horse bumper pull can haul from that site.