PDA

View Full Version : can you buy a devoucoux saddle for any less in France?

Paris
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:44 PM
just wondering if they sell directly to americans?

NYCspaz
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:47 PM
I would guess not, as the prices will be in euro and you'll have to pay customs coming back (kind of hard to say you brought a new saddle with you to France). However, a used saddle would be easier as you could sneak it back through without paying customs (heh heh), and of course a lower price.

Of course the only tack shops in France I've been in were expensive Parisian ones where I couldn't even afford polo wraps so you could probably get a better answer on here.

BAC
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
A friend said she saved several thousand dollars (almost half) buying her Hermes Steinkraus in Paris, although I think this was about 6 years ago.

Nickelodian
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:59 PM
When I was in Paris I visited PADD which had Bruno Delgrange saddles for around 1900-2100 EU. So roughly 3k USD. Quite a savings from the 4k I believe they're currently being priced at now, even after customs.

Interestingly the shop manager suggested that I call them after I got back to the states and have them ship me a saddle. They said I wouldn't have to pay customs, just an extra 100 or 150 EU for shipping.

Not sure how that works out from a savings perspective.

4Martini
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
I know people used to buy Berney Brothers Saddles in Ireland and use them for a few days of hunting and bring them back as used saddles since they used them...

Pixie0304
Mar. 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
ahah, being French, I can help you here :D

some places will sell you stuff on the internet no problem and ship it for you, but in my opinion, not worth your pocket, why ? because the only companies selling overseas are big companies, so more expensive, and will try to make a profit at of you.

so PADD is out of the question, i compared some items from their website, and you can easily get them half price elsewhere.

now, you have to understand, France is a little bit different
we have two different kind of "Tack shop"
the big company names like GO SPORT, DECATHLON, ect they will carry more than one sport, so the section on horses will be limited, usually more expensive, and only name brands
the smaller tack shop called " sellerie" usually have names, owner names most of the time, they are small place that looks like tack shop here in USA, they will have much more variety of choices, and prices will depend on the brand.

Now just to let you know, there are MANY saddle brands in France, that range from american makes, english makers, big name french makers, and also smaller names, not necessarly known anywhere but parts of France where they are from. excellent quality, and much cheaper because they're not known overseas.

i can provided you a good list of names and look through some of their websites.
some will agree on shipping it overseas, or the other solution would be to go and bring it back yourself :cool: i usually do that for stuff i dont find here