PDA

View Full Version : Crosspost... Wide based stirrups...

Ibex
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
Crossposting from the eventing forum as I've seen more of these in the jumper ring than eventing.

-----------------------
I have crappy knees. Diagnosed and treated as crappy knees :lol: (it's a loose patella issue... nothing serious, but irritating!). I want to help support my knees as much as possible and was looking at the new wider based stirrups that are out there.

Do they actually do anything to help?

I've found three types...MDC Super Sport, Royal Rider and WildKart. Any experience with any of these?

Go Fish
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
Are they supposed to help with knee pain?

I ask because I still occasionally turn back (cutting) for friends. Obviously, I ride in a western saddle which comes with wider stirrups. I have bad knees. They are KILLING me by the end of the day. I'm not sure if it's the stirrups or the saddle fenders, but it sure FEELS like it's the stirrups.

I rarely experience knee pain with my normal irons - but I do have the HS 4-way (because I do have bad knees and ankles) and they have made a noticable difference in the amount of discomfort I have while riding.

KingoftheRoad
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
I have the Royal Rider non-flex ones, and they're great for knee and ankle pain. I feel like they give me a much wider base for my foot, so I don't have quite so much pivot action on the ball of my foot.

I know what you mean about western saddles, but I think that's more due to the stiffness of the saddle flap, that doesn't want to turn 90 degrees quite so easily, so it puts a more constant strain on your knee and ankle.

But overall, I highly recommend the RRs. I love mine, and I've had them at least five years.

doublesstable
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:33 PM
I have the Royal Rider non-flex ones, and they're great for knee and ankle pain. I feel like they give me a much wider base for my foot, so I don't have quite so much pivot action on the ball of my foot.

I know what you mean about western saddles, but I think that's more due to the stiffness of the saddle flap, that doesn't want to turn 90 degrees quite so easily, so it puts a more constant strain on your knee and ankle.

But overall, I highly recommend the RRs. I love mine, and I've had them at least five years.

I just bought RR for the same reason. Even days that I spend a lot of time in the saddle (even just standing around chit-chatting) Oh yeah do that but it's fun.....

I found the RR have already helped with the knee pain. That's when I did notice the most pain is when just sitting on my horse talking... not moving. But when doing this on the RR, I didn't have knee pain. Maybe it's mental but I do think the wider foot bed makes a difference.

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
I have terrible knees and they have done nothing but wonders for me!! My favorite brand is EquiWing... they have them in black composite, or a chrome finish so you can look more traditional. I definitely think the wider footbed makes a difference. A few of my friends use them as well and they love them.

doublesstable
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have terrible knees and they have done nothing but wonders for me!! My favorite brand is EquiWing... they have them in black composite, or a chrome finish so you can look more traditional. I definitely think the wider footbed makes a difference. A few of my friends use them as well and they love them.

Oooooo I like the chrome ones! Gotta try em....

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
Oooooo I like the chrome ones! Gotta try em....

YES! They are fantastic. They polish up quite well too, when I bother :P

DMK
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:03 PM
Pro-jump extras ... Best thing evah. So far 3 people have ridden in my saddle. 3 out of 3 ordered those stirrup pads shortly thereafter.

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm

They also grip like graters but don't rip up your hand and saddle like graters.

Ibex
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
Pro-jump extras ... Best thing evah. So far 3 people have ridden in my saddle. 3 out of 3 ordered those stirrup pads shortly thereafter.

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm

They also grip like graters but don't rip up your hand and saddle like graters.

Now those are interesting! Do you use them on jointed stirrups or regular ones???

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
My stirrups have a pad very similar to those, and they grip FANTASTICALLY without the damage of graters.

DMK
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
they fit on my herm sprengers perfectly, but you have to pay attention to the width of your sprengers before you order - a friend of mine had to get one size larger because they didn't fit on hers (she is one of those tiny things able to use a child's stirrup).

After you put them on, you need to periodically check/tighten the screws for the first month or so, but then after that the screws are settled in tight and haven't budged.

Go Fish
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:32 PM

Just an FYI - stirrups on well-used western saddles do sit at 90 degrees. Let me tell you about the new saddle/hot water/broomstick/hot oil/while on a saddle rack method, if you're interested.

My cutting saddle is so well "loved" that I can roll the fenders up and tie them for shipping.

DMK
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Fish, I was gonna say "my old western saddle had no problems in that area" ... but it too spent a lot of time with the broomstick!

KateKat
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
I've also found those Comfort pad thingies http://www.beval.com/Products/Super-Comfort-Grip-Stirrup-Pads/0116005.aspx make a huge difference. And they're cheap. I think because they have a bit of give, and make the pad surface area a little wider they help a lot.

Thoroughbred1201
Mar. 25, 2011, 12:06 AM

I have terrible knees as well. Same kind of petella problem. I found it wasn't the sturrips but the style of riding. Western, like above, ditto. I just rode without sturrips mostly in a western saddle because the sturrip twisting against my foot would throw my knee out.

Dressage was not good either. The longer leather made it easier to twist my knee.

Hunt seat is definately the best because the movement on my knee is straight. You two point, you sit. No twisting. Knee cap stays where it's supposed to. I just use regular old fillis irons.

That said, have you tried riding with a slightly shorter iron? It minimizes the twisting and the movement is straight. Combine that with a wider iron, it might help.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 25, 2011, 12:10 AM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how about ankles? I've been contemplating upgrading to a wide-track iron to help my lousy knees (I'm a 21-year-old trapped in a 90-year-old's body) but am wondering if they are liable to help or hurt my ankles.

Wanderluster
Mar. 25, 2011, 12:18 AM
I have the lastest MDC's with no flex. I personally do not like flexible stirrups I prefer the control and balance from a "fixed" stirrup.
One really nice feature of the MDC's is that Marty believes in his product and will refund every penny of your purchase price if you are not satisfied. It makes the expense less risky and you can find out if they work for you. I also like that there is not a two tone look, I'm into tradition and these are a nice compromise ;)

indygirl2560
Mar. 25, 2011, 01:31 AM
I have a bad right knee. I love my Royal Rider flex stirrups. They have enough bend to absorb a lot of shock but not too much where I feel unstable. They are very easy to pick up when dropped and I have no trouble riding in proper position in them. It is amazing how much pain they keep me from having while riding. I tried the Sprenger bow flex irons from another COTHer and I felt that they had too much flex for me. I definitely think these types of stirrups go by personal preference.

GreystoneKC
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:09 AM
Two bad knees here plus bad hip sockets. Lots of patella and supporting ligament problems. I worship my Royal Rider flex stirrups. I do like the wide foot bed although I find it secondary to the tight flex. I too experience severe pain in a western saddle which I also tend to believe is from the awkward twist in the stirrup. I have probably never sat in a well-oiled/broken in western saddle.