PDA

View Full Version : why hello level 1...

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
Welp, it's official:

The Appy who could supposedly only jump 2'9 has now jumped 3'6" in stunning form, and is entered in the 3' (level 1) jumpers this weekend.

For those of you not familiar with the story (which is I think all of you, LOL)...

About 9 months ago I got an Appaloosa off of craigslist (yes, I'm serious.) He was underweight, had no muscle tone, his feet were a disaster, and he hadn't been ridden more than a few times in about 3 years. Naturally, against everything I'd ever told anyone, the Appaloosa came home with me.

I got him all fat and happy and started working him. We discovered that the Appaloosa knows 1st and some 2nd level dressage. We also discovered that the Appaloosa is a jumper after Upper-level riders' and trainers' hearts.

We also discovered that he's probably 4 years younger than we thought, so now the crazy not-old Appy is stuck with me longer.

Just thought I'd take a quick brag on how far the craigslist horse has come in 9 months... from saying hello to a decent meal and TLC, to saying hello to level 1 jumpers :winkgrin:

Trixie
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:51 PM
We require pictures! :)

doublesstable
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:54 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

And congrats!!!!!! LOVE APPS!

stillknotreel
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:55 PM
Pictures, pictures, pictures!!

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:56 PM
seems the general consensus is more pictures lol! I'll try to get some good ones this weekend and link to them :)

ClassyRide
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:58 PM

I concur. :yes:

Super congratulations!!!! You must be one proud momma!

Out of curiousity, do you have any idea on appy's breeding (I'm curious, because I'm kicking around the idea of getting an appy jumper)?

KayPink
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:36 PM
Yay! Such a great story! And yes, we totally need pictures!! :yes:

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:39 PM
I concur. :yes:

Super congratulations!!!! You must be one proud momma!

Out of curiousity, do you have any idea on appy's breeding (I'm curious, because I'm kicking around the idea of getting an appy jumper)?

hehe yes, very proud momma :)
As to his breeding, we are not entirely sure... he is probably by Doctor Rock (or a horse with Doc/Doctor lines) out of an Arab mare, but again we're not quite sure. I call him an Appaloosa Sporthorse and leave it at that ;)

If you're looking for your first jumper, I would TOTALLY recommend Appies. My guy Doc (sold to me as Doctor Rock, in all probability that's actually his sire's name lol) can jump like nobody's business. He's not a dirty stopper or anything like that and he's BRAVE.

A lot of Appies do have what I like to call "appytude" but once you and the appy really "bond" you have a partner forever, albiet a slighty crabby one lol.

I've heard a lot of good things about Confetti lined Appaloosas and Appaloosa SH's, there's also Jumpers Appaloosa Sporthorses so you might want to look them up if they're near you... they're nowhere near me, but I've heard good things.

doublesstable
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:58 PM
hehe yes, very proud momma :)
As to his breeding, we are not entirely sure... he is probably by Doctor Rock (or a horse with Doc/Doctor lines) out of an Arab mare, but again we're not quite sure. I call him an Appaloosa Sporthorse and leave it at that ;)

If you're looking for your first jumper, I would TOTALLY recommend Appies. My guy Doc (sold to me as Doctor Rock, in all probability that's actually his sire's name lol) can jump like nobody's business. He's not a dirty stopper or anything like that and he's BRAVE.

A lot of Appies do have what I like to call "appytude" but once you and the appy really "bond" you have a partner forever, albiet a slighty crabby one lol.

I've heard a lot of good things about Confetti lined Appaloosas and Appaloosa SH's, there's also Jumpers Appaloosa Sporthorses so you might want to look them up if they're near you... they're nowhere near me, but I've heard good things.

I had an Appy TB that I "tried" Eq and Hunters, should have done jumpers with him... but he was a cute mover and did well for me. He was AMAZINGLY brave! I felt I could jump "anything".... and just about did.. Picinic tables, chain link fences - yeah a lot has changed since then. lol. I did do some eventing with him and he was awesome! Once you get to these smart fellows to undertand that you are on the same team; (and not just anyone can do that - you must understand them) they will do ANYTHING for you and do it with great pride! I miss my boy!

Enjoy your wonderful App!

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:15 PM
Once you get to these smart fellows to undertand that you are on the same team; (and not just anyone can do that - you must understand them) they will do ANYTHING for you and do it with great pride!

That is exactly what happened with Doc :) once we mutually understood each other, we were awesome. I've had quite a few people tell me that Doc and I are a lot alike, maybe that's why we get along so well ;)

yellowbritches
Mar. 25, 2011, 12:26 AM
My first horse/first love was/is an appy, so I will always have a big soft spot in my heart for the spotty ones. I concur- pictures please.

When you get a good one, they are freaking awesome, and while my guy was a little short on scope and athleticism, he was big on heart and gameness. If things had been different while I was growing up with him, I'm pretty sure he'd have gone quite a bit farther than he did (my boss/coach and I both strongly think had he and I gotten in the eventing game a few years earlier, he'd have done a one star). As it was, he was great at his job, and even now he loves to keep my mom (who he lives with) on her toes.

Good luck with your guy, and lots and lots of pictures!

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:11 AM
I had an App/TB with great heart-even in is later years, he was a bit of a handful but if you rode him right he was a blast and would do anything you asked of him without hesitation.

Except jump. Oh, he could and would jump just fine on the trail, where the jumps were solid and in the way of getting somewhere. Out in the world he was point, gallop, and shoot-forward and easy. But in the ring? It took him all of about four minutes to figure out that stadium jumps fall down, and after that, no riding could convince him that he needed to jump them when he could knock them down with much less effort. Pretty much everybody in my barn tried, including my trainer, and he just wasn't having it. He's the only horse I've ever known who just would not jump. What a character he was.

He definitely had "appytude!"

Renn/aissance
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
If you have an Appy that jumps, you have an Appy that jumps. Learned to ride on Apps and adore them. Photos, please! :)

appdream
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
I did jumpers with my one mare. At her third show, we pulled her off the trailer and the woman next to us commented "What a cute little appy!" We competed and pinned that day.

About a month later, I was holding her outside the ring at another show and hear "There she is!" The same woman looks at her friend and says "You have to watch this mare go, she is great."

They definately get noticed. Congraulations on your boy and have fun!!!

GingerJumper
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
If you have an Appy that jumps, you have an Appy that jumps.

Ooooh so true. When I first got him I could barely ride his jump, he has so much spring. He's probably the best jumper I've had the privilege to ride.

:)

Calvincrowe
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
There are two kinds of Appaloosas...happy Apps, and crappy Apps :lol:. The ones who jump are usually fantastic. Congrats on finding one who is!

(That quote comes from a fellow boarder who showed on the App circuit for years, and seems to apply in all the disciplines, says she...)

SillyHorse
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:06 PM
The OP provided me with a smile that's going to carry me through the weekend.:D

Brydelle Farm
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
Have a great show!! Can't wait for the pixs!!