PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Corgi...

equusvilla
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:02 AM
http://equusvilla.blogspot.com/2011/03/wheelchair-annie.html

This is the story with pictures ... why can't I get this thing to work....or her to work with the wheelchair???

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
I would approach it as you would teaching a horse in hand, but a little modified since dogs are positive reinforcement.

do you know where on her body sensation stops?
was she ever leash trained before her immobility?

materials:
dressage whip with ticklie lash
leash
peanut butter
target wand ( you could use the handle of an old stiff dressage whip if you can't find a target)
I'd use a treat target wand (Petsmart sells them, they look like they are a revolving lollipop that extends out), glob on some peanut butter.
attach a leash to her, and hold the leash and the whip in your left hand, her at your left, and the wand in your right.

skip a meal since food hasn't worked yet. let her get good and inspired

start with the target at her nose and let her taste it, and praise like crazy.
next hold it about 8" out to where she has to stretch, let her taste it and praise like crazy.
next hold the target about 15" away to where she HAS to take a step. pull forward with the leash if she needs inpiration and a "let's go" command. you may want to goose her with the whip (it's not for popping her, but to tickle her somewhere she still feels it)
be patient

you might want to try the exercise with her out of the wheelchair first and see if she will 'seal' it over to the target. THEN try in the wheel chair.

good luck!

Zu Zu
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
She will figure this out quickly ~~

Jingles & AO ```

amt813
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have a wheelchair corgi too - Charlie. ... my biggest advice would just be patience.

My corgi is sadly a victim of degenerative myelopathy and in the fall lost almost all use of his high end. Charlie lives with my mom and stepfather and they decided to purchase him a cart. To learn more about the disease and having a dog in a wheelchair my stepfather joined the group "wheelcorgis" on yahoo. Here is a link:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelcorgis/

From that website we learned that some dogs take a long time to learn how to use their wheels - some up to a year! We also learned a lot from the members of the group. Luckily my corgi took to it relatively quickly, but its not as though we go on five mile hikes or anything. Generally he will walk a little ways and then lay down in the cart - as your Corgi appears to be doing in the picture.

Can't really tell from your pictures but read the comment on the blog and it said something about letting her legs "dangle" - are her legs somehow tucked up in the cart? I can only speak from my experience, but even though my Corgi has no use of his hind legs he still likes to move them in a walking motion as he pulls himself along in the cart. If her legs are tucked in if there is some way to let them hang down and move she might feel a bit more natural about moving forward.

Finally, sometimes they need a little extra "push" to learn they can move in the cart. When my corgi first started in the cart and would get stuck I would sometimes give a slight push on the back of the cart to encourage him to move forward. Once he realized he could move forward he gradually got the hang of it. This was in no way a forceful push - if he dug his toes in that was the end of that - but just a little pressue to say move forward.

Good luck - I hope she gets the hang of it soon!

equusvilla
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks so much everyone!!! Annie drags one back leg, not both. At first the strap that goes over the back of her neck was putting a lot of pressure there.. hence her desire to lay down.. I just kept tweeking the adjustments until it looked right... but there were no direction on exactly how to put the dog in the cart.. only assembly directions. I will keep working with her though..and pray that she catches on.

..and thank you so much for the group web address!

eventgroupie2
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:31 PM
Best of luck with getting Annie used to her cart from me and my Corgi, Gumby!

belleellis
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:28 PM
Ok...maybe your chair goes different then mine but the padded piece on the front on yours that goes under her.... compared to mine is upside down. Mine goes up over the shoulders and the strap with the clip around the front so they pull into it. Maybe it is made different. I am no expert as my corgi is pretty sure she doesn't need hers.
We use cheese or peanut butter. Also a slight downhill on the drive gets her in gear.
Try here: http://eddieswheels.com/carts/rear-wheel-cart/ they have pics and fitting instructions.

Here is my girl: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=528669150&aid=285729#!/photo.php?fbid=10150120419714151&set=a.10150118800789151.285729.528669150&theater

equusvilla
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ok...maybe your chair goes different then mine but the padded piece on the front on yours that goes under her.... compared to mine is upside down. Mine goes up over the shoulders and the strap with the clip around the front so they pull into it. Maybe it is made different. I am no expert as my corgi is pretty sure she doesn't need hers.
We use cheese or peanut butter. Also a slight downhill on the drive gets her in gear.
Try here: http://eddieswheels.com/carts/rear-wheel-cart/ they have pics and fitting instructions.

Here is my girl: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=528669150&aid=285729#!/photo.php?fbid=10150120419714151&set=a.10150118800789151.285729.528669150&theater

I am going to send the one I have back and order one from Eddies wheels. I have heard from many people that they are the best.. ALso - the reason I had that neck piece on backwards .. is that it is almost imposible to get her in the cart with the foam piece on top of her neck. Eddie's makes their carts where that piece opens and shuts...instead of having to cram the poor dog into the space! My poor Annie... :0(

edited to add - I cannot see your facebook pic.

belleellis
Mar. 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
Julie send me a friend invite and we can be FB corgi in wheelchair friends. LOL. Then you can see mine in her cart.
You might want to try the corgi wheel forum too. I am a member there and those folks have all kinds of knowledge. Also there is a place that loans carts to see if your dog will use them. I can not think of the name of it but the wheel corgi forum well know.
I had an old one given to me by a horse forum friend and the opening was such you had to cram her in. I hated it. It was so hard to get her in by myself. The Eddies wheels is super easy. I can do it all alone. They were really super nice to work with too.
By the way your corgis are so precious!