PDA

View Full Version : Chicken question--impacted/sour crop

JCS
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:59 PM
Anyone dealt with this before? One of our RIRs seems to have an impacted crop or sour crop. I'm not sure which. We had one a few months ago that died from similar symptoms, but I'm hoping we caught this one earlier.

I've isolated her from the other hens (she's right next to them, just with chicken wire in between) and done all the stuff you're supposed to do--DH dosed her with a couple dropperfuls of olive oil and one of apple cider vinegar. I added apple cider vinegar to her water. She has a slice of bread in her dish, mashed up with plain yogurt and more olive oil and ACV. We'll see how she is looking tomorrow.

Just curious if anyone has had a hen pull through with this, and how long it takes for there to be improvement. The last one died so quickly, now I can't imagine this one will get better.

Zarafia
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:23 AM
PM me.

Amwrider
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:30 AM
ask on some of the chicken forums....chickencrossing.org or backyardchicken.com I think are a couple of them.

Never dealt with sour crop in chickens. When dealing with it with exotic birds we used to give a bit of baking soda dissolved in water. A friend of mine gives applesauce. Warmth also helped with the exotics.

JCS
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:32 AM
ask on some of the chicken forums....chickencrossing.org or backyardchicken.com I think are a couple of them.

Never dealt with sour crop in chickens. When dealing with it with exotic birds we used to give a bit of baking soda dissolved in water. A friend of mine gives applesauce. Warmth also helped with the exotics.

So, they do get better?

Amwrider
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
sometimes.