PDA

View Full Version : I need blanket help please!!!

TheUnderstudy
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
So I have a 16hh petite TB Mare that was body clipped today. I'm not going to go into detail, but it was pretty much done without my say so. So now that it's done I'm panicking because in the 6 years that I have owned this mare I have never blanketed her and don't own one. She was shipped to another barn for the week because she is showing this weekend, so she will have a blanket that they have provided.

So the question is what the heck do I buy. I live in MD and it's supposed to be like a high of 48 this weekend with lows in the upper 20s. I don't have a clue what I should be buying (heavy, medium, light weight, sheet or blanket???), or what size. I'm so clueless to this whole blanket thing and am rather annoyed that she was clipped in the first place.

I'm just asking for some kind of help and direction. Thanks in advance. Anything else that you need to know just ask.

Melissa.Van Doren
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:17 PM
I put my body clipped horses in medium weight blankets for nights in the 20s/30s, days in the 30s, cloudy/windy days in the 40s.

When it's sunny and still during the days in the 40s/mid 50s, they're in sheets.

High 50s and warmer = naked. :)

Brydelle Farm
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:18 PM
You will need to measure her, but probably in the 78-80 range give or take.

I would consider a turnout sheet and possibly a stable blanket to layer underneath for overnight.

CBoylen
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:19 PM
Look at size on the blanket they provided for you, and decide if that is the right size or if you need to go smaller or bigger. I would assume a 78 or so, but the best thing to do is to try a few sizes on.
If your horse lives mainly out, you probably want to buy a turnout blanket and a turnout sheet. If she spends more time in her stall, you need a turnout sheet, a stable sheet, and a stable blanket. Right now, a clipped horse would probably be wearing a turnout sheet outside during the day, and a medium weight turnout blanket outside at night. Inside, a stable sheet during the day, and a stable sheet and medium stable blanket at night. If your horse isn't inside a lot you can maybe get by with just turnout clothes, but they don't breathe as well and they can get hot wearing them inside when they'd be too cold inside with no blanket at all.

jay0087
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:32 PM
Where in MD do you live? My horse passed away last nov and has a bunch of 78s. Just washed since he never got a chance to wear them this winter. You could prob borrow one to use with these cold days to come

doublesstable
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
I always keep a few spares on hand because horses will be horses and get them wet, muddy, ripped - you name it. I like heavy-ies because I take their hair I feel they need warmth. If it's nice I don't ever put sheets on they just go neked.

I have had many blankets over the years and I recently purchased a Lamicell turn out for my TB-y type horse and I LOVE IT. It doesnt rub, slip or cause any problems. And it's water proof with no seam. I have tried all kinds and found that one to be the best so far.

I would measure her to see her size and order one. Get a color you like and she should be just fine.

TheUnderstudy
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice so far. She lives outside mainly, but has 24/7 access to her stall.

jay0087 - I live in Salisbury, MD. Thanks for the offer, but she will have a blanket provided by the girl who clipped her, just need to figure out what I have to buy lol.

jay0087
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
Gotcha! I traced clipped my guy for the winter and just finished clipping him this week. He has been in a sheet or naked this week but will prob be in his med over the next few days. I woud suggest getting both or just a rain sheet and something you can layer.

MIKES MCS
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
Since she has been clipped and is petite you might want to get a hi neck so it doesn't slip around the neck and cause shoulder rubs.. A light / med weight no more than 200 grams of fill should be heavy enough. At 16 hds unless she is very long bodied I'd guess a 78 or even 76 but you should measure to be sure. 78 is pretty average though for a TB

doublesstable
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
This is similar to the one I LOVE... mine is solid navy color... but if your horse is out in pasture, this one looks super - and is the high neck... I think it's called the European cut.. They do carry a higher neck one - it's like an uber turn out... just depends on what amount of coverage you want.

http://www.lamicell.com/image/blankets/443s1u0pxg.jpg

lovehors86
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
I would say the best most economical purchase would be a turnout sheet and a blanket liner that has fill... That should take care of you down into the 20s and be most useful to you later on...

My boy has this sheet: http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_sheets_turnout-/stormshield-new-briton-bellyband-turnout--open-front-sheet/

and I love this line: http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_multipurpose-liners/adjusta-fit-v-free-nylon-blanket-liner_2/

kelsey97
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
First, I'd like to say EEK! I love Dover's Riders Int'l line of blankets, very economical and long wearing. I have the medium weight turnout and the polypropylene sheet. I've had them for about 8 years and they've held up very well: my horses are out 24/7 with stalls attached to paddock like yours. My TB mare is 16.1 with shoes, very narrow and petite like your girl and she wears a 76 in the Riders brand and 74 in the polypropylene sheet. Hope this helps!!

Grasshopper
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
If you can't measure her, for petite 16h I'd guess at 76. My big-bodied 16.1 TB mare takes a 78.

For short term, if budget is an issue, I would get a lightweight (~100gm) turnout blanket, and a fleece or wool sheet or liner. For nights in the 20s you can put on both, when it gets up into the 30s or low 40s you can just use the blanket, and the sheet can be used during the day at shows, as a cooler, etc. If you're anticipating rainy and chilly (high 40s/50s), I'd also get a turnout sheet to keep her dry in that sort of weather. You can also use the turnout sheet over the fleece sheet as a rough equivalent to a 100gm blanket, but not sure that would suffice for 20 degree temps on a newly hairless horse. :)

If budget isn't an issue ;) I still wouldn't bother with stable blankets since she's basically out 24/7. A midweight (~200-220gm) turnout blanket (wouldn't bother with heavy since it's unlikely to get truly cold again this spring), a turnout sheet or two, and I would still get a fleece sheet to use for layering, as a cooler, etc.

STA
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
Go to a local consignment shop, take a couple of blankets in different sizes to try, decide on a size - buy a sheet, blanket, and TO. Warm weather is not far off, the sheet, blanket and TO should get you through.

EAY
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:51 AM
I agree with those who have suggested a waterproof turnout sheet and a fleece or liner to layer. I'm in Maryland too and we're having a little cold spell now but it's supposed to warm up next week. As long as she has access to shelter and plenty of hay she should be fine with these two pieces down to about 30 degrees.

Keep in mind that she might be a little fresh this weekend at the show and bring a wool cooler to keep her toasty between classes since the forecast is for chilly, rainy weather.