PDA

View Full Version : Question about hot wire

Lori T
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
I installed a solar power hot wire in the paddock for my big guy, who thinks that boards are for itching on and which promptly break like toothpicks. (I moved recently to a new farm which didn't have it...in the week prior to me getting it installed, he broke 4 boards). I then extended the wire into the adjoining pasture and now it doesn't work (it worked in the paddock..trust me!). Will the wire touching any wood cause it to short? What else could cause it to suddenly not work? I know there are areas where it touches the wood where I ran short on the plastic clips.

hosspuller
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:11 PM
Yes... If the hot wire is touching wood, the voltage will bleed to ground. Wood exposed to the weather is not a very good insulator. It absorbs moisture and conducts electricity. Go back and install insulators where you missed. And, check the insulators already installed are not damaged.

PLUS... you've increased the amount of fence to charge.:yes:

Somermist
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:19 PM
Yes... If the hot wire is touching wood, the voltage will bleed to ground. Wood exposed to the weather is not a very good insulator. It absorbs moisture and conducts electricity. Go back and install insulators where you missed. And, check the insulators already installed are not damaged.

PLUS... you've increased the amount of fence to charge.:yes:

Perfect answer. It cannot touch the wood and make sure you now have a large enough fence charger.:cool:

Lori T
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks! The charger is good for 3 miles, so I am good on that aspect! Will go buy more insulators tomorrow! Thankfully, Tucker THINKS it is working!

Frank B
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
"Miles" on fence charges is like MPG on cars -- to be taken with a grain of salt. As with cars, YMMV.

Lori T
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
"Miles" on fence charges is like MPG on cars -- to be taken with a grain of salt. As with cars, YMMV.

Good to know..but I am not even talking about a mile here! I am going to get more insulators on my way to the barn today and get it fixed. My phone rang at 6:30 this morning, I paniced, thinking it was the barn calling to let me know that Tucker had broken out, but thankfully it was just my daughter calling from school!

MeghanDACVA
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
More important than how many miles it will charge is how deep your ground rod is!!

And if the ground is really dry and he touches the wire, he may not get a shock since HE will not be well grounded. Just be aware.