PDA

View Full Version : Whats a fair price to see my Crosby PDN?

Whistler
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:30 PM
BY the way, i meant 'sell' not see!!!

Hi all,
I'm looking to sell a nearly new Millers Crosby PDN saddle that I bought from my trainer who had it unused as a backup saddle for years. I'm not sure the date, but it's super nice ...very flat, with no knee rolls, etc but good for the hard core eq rider or jumper who doesn't need much support. The only marking on it is a little wear from the leathers. I rode in it less than 6 months. I know these are not super popular anymore, but can you guys give a good idea of what to price it at? The seat is a pretty havana color and the rest is chocolate brown.

Whistler

STA
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
I have a PDN in excellent condition dark pigskin leather on the seat and skirt. Same flat style and I am asking $400 and have NOT had anyone interested. Sorry to say.

jackalini
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
I have one in excellent condition that I priced at $200, and I've had very, very few inquiries on it. Last one was someone who asked me about 15 different questions and then offered me 1/2 - $100 for it. I refused the offer.

Opus1
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
I just bought an identical PDN to yours about 2 months ago. Other than the leather being a bit dry, it was in fantastic condition.

I paid $250 for it from an online tack store, but saw another one go for $300. But that's the most I've seen them go for. And I researched them on eBay, used saddle sites, looked all over the place to make sure I was getting a good price for it.

Taybee
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
I bought a used PDN in excellent condition just over a year ago and paid $250 for it.

Whistler
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone!
I guess I'll just see what I can get for it and lower the price as needed. Too bad, Crosby's used to be the hot ticket!! Gave me a great position too, but my County is much more comfortable on the bum!

Opus1
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:41 PM
There is still a *small* market for them, even if it may take a few months to sell. Those like me who prefer the plain flaps, or those new to riding who just want a quality used English saddle.

I definitely would not go below $200 for it, unless you just want it gone. Someone will eventually be around to buy it. :)

HoneyB
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
I just sold mine for $300. It was in great shape and an older Miller's one. It may even be the one referenced by Opus...

I had to relist it several times on eBay but I didn't mind as I was going to keep it if it didn't sell. I was offered a mere $100 after one of the no bid auctions ended but I did not accept the offer (in large part due to the condescending attitude and poor grammar displayed by the potential buyer). I'm a professor and that cr@p drives me crazy.

I think the key selling points were to be patient, provide multiple pictures documenting the saddle's condition, and to respond promptly to requests for additional information. I could have sold it several times over if it wasn't for horse fit issues on the part of potential buyers.

It is possible to sell one for a decent price but it takes some time.

AliCat
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:48 PM
Not trying to hijack, but do you guys think the flat Beval Devon with no knee rolls fair any better in the market?

bits619
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:55 PM
I'm holding onto my PDN for a while- as long as I have physical space to store it in. It's my first saddle, i really think it gave me a great position, and I think i'll again be able to use it. If not, then i'll sell it back when it's in vogue again!!

trina1
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
I had a trainer a few years ago who told me to take my old PDN and "throw it in the dumpster"!! Seriously!

IveGotRhythm
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
You will have to pry my 161/2 prix de saute and my 17 prix de nations from my cold dead hands. LOVE THEM.

And if anyone has a 15 in I could use for my son please PM me.

That said I see them on Craigslist pretty frequently for around $100. So I wouldn't count on selling them for much money.

Which doesn't mean they aren't worth their weight in gold, you just have to find someone who appreciates them.

Opus1
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:44 AM
I just sold mine for $300. It was in great shape and an older Miller's one. It may even be the one referenced by Opus...

Probably. :) I had quite a few PDNs and some stray Collegiates on my eBay watch list until I purchased mine.

But yes, I agree it will take some time, but you should eventually find it a good home. The PDN I just purchased was my very first saddle, and I have no intentions of ever parting with it.

Mayaty02
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
Just sold an older PDN in normal used but solid condition (having sat idle for many years). Sold it on ebay just to get rid of it, went last night for about $175. Sold a similar Courbette Stylist, also flat like the PDN, for the same amount. There was alot of interest at that price in both, so probably I could have gotten over $200 for them but we just wanted them gone (tack room cleanout).

That said I sold my beautiful PDN Sovereign that had only been used for about 2 yrs before it was put in storage for about $375.

SonnysMom
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:50 AM
Not trying to hijack, but do you guys think the flat Beval Devon with no knee rolls fair any better in the market?

I just sold mine for $1,300. Mine was only 5 years old. No knee rolls but padded flaps.
There was one at Rick's Heritage in the PA store that has the padded flaps and a BIG water stain on the seat for $800. It apparently has gone out on trial a number of times at that price point.

englishivy
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:24 AM
There is a market out there for them, but as others have said, it is small.

My barn is one though...most of my riders prefer the old Collegiates & PDN style saddles. In fact, I think there is only one "modern" saddle in the barn, and the irony there is that I am trying to persuade that rider to look into a different saddle b/c it doesn't fit her horse AT.ALL.

I am not trying to start an old saddle vs modern saddle discussion, but I will say that my riders (from up-downers to those jumping 3') all love the older saddles. And all my horses, with the except the aforementioned, really do better in them than other modern brands we've tried (although we haven't tried any custom or super high end modern saddles). I don't have any answers to why, it just is what it is.

The Soverigns and old Bevals have been along the $400 range, the English made Crumps and PDNs we around the $300 mark, and the Collegiates from $200-$300.

jessicaoft
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:34 PM
I have one in excellent condition that I priced at $200, and I've had very, very few inquiries on it. Last one was someone who asked me about 15 different questions and then offered me 1/2 - $100 for it. I refused the offer.

What size is the saddle ?

trabern
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:13 PM
I ride in and school the kids in PDNs that are old old old and just lovely. I feel if you learn to ride in a PDN, you really learn to ride. If you can ride in a PDN, you can really ride. Count me also among those that will always make room for a couple. They're small enough to fit on a high shelf in my office when the tack room is full. :)

I also have an extra wide XL, which solid gold because it is such an odd size (in no small part due to the fact that my schooling horse is a haflinger). I actually watch them on ebay, and because they are so undervalued, plan to pick up any that don't have the value destroyed by shipping costs.

paintlady
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
I had a 17" Wide (hard to find) Crosby PDN Sovereign in excellent/like new condition. I picked it up for $400 off eBay a few years ago. I loved that saddle like no other, but it didn't fit my mare. I regretfully sold it for the same $400 I bought it for.

danceronice
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
What size/width is it? I paid about $225 on eBay for a PDN Sovereign medium/narrow 17" when I was looking for a saddle--my old AP didn't fit Lucky so I went for a type I knew would. I discovered they're really better than riding in something with a ton of padding anyway, now that I have a good enough leg to appreciate it! (When I was little I thought my then-de regieur PDN was torture. Now I find the AP uncomfortable!)

They're very good for people trying to fit TB types without going broke, too.

airineek
Mar. 26, 2011, 10:51 PM
I sold my flat Crosby PDN for about $375 a couple months ago. It was in very good condition and was the pretty two-tone kind. A pony kid who rides with my trainer finally bought it after the trainer let them know it was for sale. I feel lucky to have sold it for that amount because before that, it was advertised on and off for about a year in various places. I couldn't get it to sell on ebay even though it was in much better condition than most of the PDNs listed there. No takers from various online classifieds either. I think the market is over-saturated with the PDNs and they are kind of out of fashion now. The people have spoken...they want knee rolls :)

Too bad...mine did seem to fit everything.

c'est moi
Mar. 26, 2011, 11:19 PM
I was very, very lucky to sell mine for $425 just (and I mean JUST) before the economy crashed in 2008. The $425 did include stirrup leathers, stirrups, and a nice leather girth that I just wasn’t using anymore. And frankly, even though the saddle and the “fixings” were in great condition, I still thought I was fortunate to sell it at that price.
If I were trying to sell it again today, I probably wouldn’t ask more than $325 for the whole getup, and I would most likely consider offers in the low $200 range. I think the current market for PDN’s aren’t just about the economy as a whole—there just isn’t a lot of demand for these anymore!

Whistler
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:20 AM
Well, looks like I may end up keeping it...or at least letting it sit at a high price in case someone really wants it ;) it's a 16.5. It was the only saddle that fit my thoroughbred perfectly without having to go custom. He died last Sept (of colic...very sad). Probably good to keep around as an extra for my new horse, who is also a TB, but not shaped like a dolphin - heehee.

Maybe when I start getting too comfortable in my County, I'll pull out the Crosby to give my sit-bones a wake up call!

I love this forum. Thx for all the great feedback.

alto
Mar. 27, 2011, 01:32 AM
Well, looks like I may end up keeping it

This!
:)

It'll still be worth the same (low) amount in a few years - just remember to keep it conditioned so the leather doesn't dry out, especially on the panels - & as soon as you sell it, you'll get a horse in that would've been a perfect fit :lol: