PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for perimeter fence to be improved later

wsmoak
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
I really want split rail across the front of the property (just over 1000 ft.) I really don't want to write a $6k check right now. :) Plus I'll need to put some kind of wire on the back to keep the %#!&# neighbor dogs out, more $$$.

Half of it is chain link. (6' tall with barbed wire on top. What were they thinking?? I call it the chain link fortress.) So I have 500+ feet to do something temporary-ish with. It will probably be 2-3 years until we get back to that particular project.

This is not horse fence, he has a separate fortress with 5' of non-climb and a top board. The only way he'd be near it is if something bad happened (a gate left open, a fall while riding.) But I like to keep two fences between him and the road.

I'm thinking...

(A) Set two wood posts with a brace every 100' or so and stretch some cheap field fence using T-posts for line posts. Maybe leave the posts at 5' and put electric tape tape along the top, since I'll have to cap the T-posts anyway.

(B) Set wood posts as needed and then use step-in posts and electric tape.

(A) seems to have less maintenance and will keep the dogs out and the horse in. The rest of the perimeter (except the chain link) is old field fence that I've mostly got stretched back to its original 4' height after trees and deer have squashed it down.

Any other options I should consider?

susanne
Mar. 23, 2011, 06:16 PM
Since you'll have to put up some sort of wire fencing to back up your split rail, cayou avoid the waste of temporary and put up no-climb now?

Another thought, since yours horses won't be scrarching and leaning on it -- could you get by with woven wire?