PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Traurig as a teacher...

mzm farm
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:39 PM
Have you seen him teach?
What sort of riders does he do well with?
What is his teaching style?
What sort of horses does he do well with?

Is he a good one to consider for a somewhat nervous newbie jumping rider and a very capable horse combo as a clinician? ( I can pm a few clips of said rider/horse pair for evaluation)

Any input welcome!

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
He was discussed very recently, if you do a search you should come up with lots of opinions. I think most people that posted felt he was worthwhile to clinic with although I can't remember specifics.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293459&highlight=bernie+traurig&page=2

This thread has several opinions about his teaching.

Seal Harbor
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
I've organized two clinics with Bernie as the clinician.

I've watched him ride and teach for years.

Bernie is positive and kind, he does well with all kinds of riders. He wants a rider to develop a partnership with their horse, and for the horse to be a happy and willing partner.

He will get on and demonstrate and still rides beautifully, he does a lot of flat work. The groups we had ranged from pony kids/novice kids to pros on the big jumpers and everything in between. Some of the kids were afraid of him or nervous on the first day before they even started, but relaxed as soon as he started teaching. I don't think there is one type of rider or horse he does well with, he has the ability to span all types.

He encourages questions and offers clear, concise answers. He quizzed the kids a bit, like tighten your girth while mounted and raise your irons a hole. He talks about horsemanship along with riding and training.

I believe everyone at the two clinics got something valuable out of it. Even the auditors.

monalisa
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:00 PM
Bernie is one of the best I have seen. Some great riders are also great teachers. Bernie falls into the category.

JenMiller
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:17 PM
Bernie is brilliant!!!! He is relaxed in his teaching (he won't be calling you a dumb bell), and works well with all levels and abilities. He is very encouraging and I am sure you will gain much from the clinic.

Come Shine
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
He was the very first clinician I ever saw. Still remember the clinic from 30 odd years ago when I was about 13. The BO told us to really pay attention to his wonderful hands. It was at Sea Fever Farm (don't think it was called that back then) in Calgary with Alan Brand. I remember Ten Speed (jumper pony) and the cool gymnastic exercises.

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
I audited his clinic here in Dallas. I loved him and would love to actually ride in a clinic! He seems very tough and did get on and ride one horse.

He's pretty blunt and while I don't think he means to be, I think it comes off a little harsh. He told one girl repeatedly "If you just learned to ride better, you wouldn't need all the gadgets."

I'd go if i could!

snaffle635
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'm so glad to hear all the positive feedback. He's teaching a clinic at our barn in May!

faraway46
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:08 PM
..and all the feedback is great! What does he stress most in his clinics? A favorite exercise? Favorite flatwork? I'm a klutz so I'm "cramming" for the clinic...:winkgrin:
I will ride with both my horses: a small, nervous, 7 y.o. bay gelding that is showing 4'-4'3" and a big (17.3h) easy going, 5 y.o. chesnut mare that will start her second year showing (which will be 3'9"-4ft) this year.
Any more info would be great!
Thanks!
Viv

War Admiral
Apr. 10, 2011, 12:54 PM
He's pretty blunt and while I don't think he means to be, I think it comes off a little harsh. He told one girl repeatedly "If you just learned to ride better, you wouldn't need all the gadgets."

Oh, honey, that's not harsh, that's a reality check! :lol:

supershorty628
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:48 PM

One that more people could use!

karlymacrae
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:02 PM

amen!

mzm farm
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:04 PM
I know I am a HIGHLY flawed rider and my horse is green. We have been invited to participate in a clinic taught by Bernie Traurig.
This is "us" today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ4ybuA95SU

Will I be wasting his time?
We have a few weeks until the clinic. Any helpful suggestions on what I should/can work on until then?

Flypony
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
He was the very first clinician I ever saw. Still remember the clinic from 30 odd years ago when I was about 13. The BO told us to really pay attention to his wonderful hands. It was at Sea Fever Farm (don't think it was called that back then) in Calgary with Alan Brand. I remember Ten Speed (jumper pony) and the cool gymnastic exercises.It was the old Chinook Stables. I rode in that clinic, loved it. A few months earlier had rode in the GM clinic, got far more out of Bernie's teaching.

kaluha2
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:53 PM
" He told one girl repeatedly "If you just learned to ride better, you wouldn't need all the gadgets." "

OMG! He is priceless.

ivy62
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=kaluha2;5538905]" He told one girl repeatedly "If you just learned to ride better, you wouldn't need all the gadgets." "

if only more people would do that!

wildhorse188
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:54 PM
I know I am a HIGHLY flawed rider and my horse is green. We have been invited to participate in a clinic taught by Bernie Traurig.
This is "us" today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ4ybuA95SU

Will I be wasting his time?
We have a few weeks until the clinic. Any helpful suggestions on what I should/can work on until then?

I haven't taken a clinic with Bernie Traurig before, but I'm sure if you enter a clinic appropriate for your and your horse's level you will be fine. What a lovely horse! You also look like a very lovely rider. I envy your ability to sit up straight! If I had to critique something it would be that you sit up to quickly after the fences. Maybe concentrate on lots of two point. Also, maybe do some grid work to get you and your horse thinking/feeling distances better (there were some that looked a little rough but you looked like you handled them well). Good luck and have fun!

HRF Second Chance
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:53 PM
AHAHA! You guys make me laugh! The best part was that this wasn't the first clinician to tell her that nor was she in the baby class. She was in the big group!

I'd say you'd be fine taking his clinic. In fact, I think you'd do very well because you seem like a rhythm rider instead of counting strides. He gets a little annoyed when he hears people counting strides coming to the fence because he stresses riding the horses rhythm and not fitting in a number of strides uncomfortable for horse and rider.

Just ask if they have a group you'd fit into. And let us know how you like him!

Oh and don't wear a bright saddle pad. I thought that was going to be the death of him! LOL!

Seal Harbor
Apr. 11, 2011, 06:02 PM
I audited his clinic here in Dallas. I loved him and would love to actually ride in a clinic! He seems very tough and did get on and ride one horse.

I'd go if i could!

If a person is riding in the big jumpers he is going to expect a lot more from them, and is right to nail people for depending on gadgets.

Bernie just updated his Facebook status - "Just getting on a plane to Argentina! I will be teaching at a clinic held at Equus Fidei in Buenos Aires. Looking forward to a great week topped off with a horse show there next weekend."

Faraway46 - Hope you all have a fabulous time!!

faraway46
Apr. 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
If a person is riding in the big jumpers he is going to expect a lot more from them, and is right to nail people for depending on gadgets.

Bernie just updated his Facebook status - "Just getting on a plane to Argentina! I will be teaching at a clinic held at Equus Fidei in Buenos Aires. Looking forward to a great week topped off with a horse show there next weekend."

Faraway46 - Hope you all have a fabulous time!!

You can tell he loves to teach! Very clear, concise, simple and accurate. Much info and epiphanies, which is great because you discover you were doing something wrong for so long and now it's time to change!!!!
Stressed basically in:
*prompt, efficient changes (trot-walk, walk-canter),
*slowing down and backing up with hand and no leg (no clashing aids, please!!), *warming up with a down and low frame to make back stretch (with lots of direction changes for quick response and flexibility),
*opening and shortening strides
*the use of direct rein correctly and beware of overusing the indirect rein!!
*no over flexion to the side for prolonged periods of time (just for suppling),
*some yielding (but stressed he liked to use it as well as counter canter)
*the correct use of the inside rein and opening rein.
Classical, classical riding. Reminds you what the basics are all about and gets you out of your sloppy, lazy self that tends to haunt you when you train on your own for so long.

The first day was all about flatwork, very little jumping (just a grid of jumps: ground pole+3 strides+2ft vertical+bump to 2ft vertical+short stride to 2'6"vertical+short stride to ramp oxer+stride to square oxer), flying changes, suppling, and absolute obedience/response from your horse. All about technique and being aware at all moments what we want to achieve when you are training ("keep in mind not to drill but to have a point to your exercises").

Second day (today) it rained, so we trained in the indoor and warmed up on our own, reviewing what was explained yesterday, while he supervised (and touched up all the trouble spots everybody had in flatwork). He rode a horse and showed how responsiveness and a following, elastic contact while walking, trotting or cantering, helped a horse accept the bit more and get round from the hocks forward. How vital a following hand is when wanting to achieve quality gaits. Then we jumped much more: first trotting a small vertical, then working on adding and subtracting strides from a line (six, seven or eight strides), and finally a combination: trot to a ground pole, 2ft vertical, four very easy strides to a triple, two forward strides to an oxer and two normal strides to another oxer.

Tomorrow we have a full course and see how we add up everything we have been working on.

I will post complete info on the three clinic days when it's over (like I did with Neco Pessoa's clinic) with graphics (if I can), exercises, photos and what we worked on each day.

For now it's been two great, informative days!