PDA

View Full Version : My chickens got busted

2DogsFarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
Doorbell rang at 7A this morning.
Neighbor's husband caught me at my most Post-barnchore loveliness (barefoot, feelthy sweats, hair looking like I used the muckfork to comb it...).
He came to tell me my girls had wandered across the road to scratch up his pricy landscaping.

Why do the chickens cross the road?

He was very nice about it, but wife is the one person who objected at my zoning hearing (7 years ago, but still...). She asked about something another attendee had asked & Board Chairman basically told her to sit down & listen. I have never officially met her, he waves when we are both out mowing.
FWIW: she is a horseperson, had an ancient mare she drove (lovely wagon still in their garage) and an old gelding I haven't seen this year so may have not made it through Winter.

So after I rounded up the "Volunteer gardeners" & locked them in their fenced yard, I got cleaned up for work & stopped at their place.
Wife answered the bell - I apologized again and gave her 1/2 doz eggs plus the offer of composted chicken poop for her garden.
She was nice about it, so bullet dodged.

Does anyone here have any idea how to discourage chickens from crossing a road?
Not only do I not want them annoying the neighbors, but it's a fairly busy road & I don't want smooshed chickens either.
The fenced yard is sufficent, but I fully expect some Chicken Wrath tonight when I get home & they tell me all about how UNFAIR it is they were not free to wander...

HPFarmette
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't have any good suggestions for you. Unless one of the electric fence deals, more like a net, would work. Don't know how large of a space you have to block off. I've had too much trouble with hawks and I unfortunately am going to have to pen my chickies up. I really liked free-ranging them but....:no:

MistyBlue
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:01 PM
LOL, doesn't it figure that your chickens go chook-about when you look like hell and they choose to go to the one person who didn't want them zoned it?

I have *no* idea how to keep free ranging chickens from crossing the road. (hee hee, sounds like a lead-in to a really bad pun)

Can you fence in a larger area for them to scratch in away from the road?

2DogsFarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:06 PM
Sigh..... :sigh:

I only have 5ac, but fencing all that to keep chickens in ain't gonna happen.

Their fenced yard is about 25X15 so it's not like they are cramped.

My biggest worry was having them wander the other direction & end up mingled with another neighbor's much larger flock.

But you truly have not lived until you have been chewed out by a flock of chickens.
Right now they all run hopefully to meet me when I get home & if I fail to produce a treat, the under-the-beak grumbling starts.

& I am not paranoid!
I know they are talking about me & it is not nice :no:

So I will become the new Commandant of Chicken Gitmo
Maybe I should start stacking them?

maybe I need to get off the farm more often.....

ETA:
MistyB - it wasn't the chickens she objected to, she wanted to know how many horses I was bringing to the property.
Zoning is for 2 horses only and the variance petitioned for was my 60X120 indoor. She probably worried I planned to fill that with horses instead of the 36X36 barn (that required no variance).

poltroon
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:13 PM
You can buy portable electric netting, which would allow you to confine them but move the confinement.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
You can buy portable electric netting, which would allow you to confine them but move the confinement.

:confused::confused::confused:
Is it Idiot-Friendly?
I am pretty inept - & a huge weenie - when it comes to things electric.
If the stuff is simple to setup & move I can see working it like a chicken tractor & getting some selected areas cleared of weeds.
Does TSC carry it?

Calvincrowe
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
The electric netting is available from Farmtek (farmtek.com) and is pretty reasonably priced and easy to use. I'd only worry that the hens could fly over it, if they are so inclined (it is about 3-4 feet tall).

I just don't let mine free range--too many risks of having them out on their own. Granted, I fenced a 40 x 60 grass area (ok, it is a paddock that I gave up to the hens most of the time) for them. They are quite happy.

Somermist
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I only have a few, but I can't let them free range either. People here let their dogs run everywhere and although most stay away because of our GSD. But, if the chickens would go to them, I am pretty sure they would not come back. They have their fenced yard and for their own safety that's where they are.

Good luck, neighbors can be challenging.;)

equusvilla
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yep - my first egg cost me $1000.00 .. if you know what I mean.. and I still want to let them out to wander. Last weekend I had a close call as I caught the cat in the "crouching tiger' position.. ready to land her biggest meal ever!

2DogsFarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
equusvilla:
you got one tough barncat

My little Verminator has brought down rabbits near her size ,but one look at my chickens talking smack & she backed away.
Never to return.

Chickens also were not fazed by GFs crazed JRT barking at them from my porch.
One started up the steps like:
"You wanna piece of this?"

OK, I guess I bow to the COTH concensus. My hens just became non-freerange.
Makes it less stressful for me. No hawks or stray dogs to worry about.

Maybe fenced in they will go after the rats who have moved into the coop.

Drive NJ
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
I just WISH you had your chickens across the street and they visited. Not that I like Chickens, but they do a great job cleaning up yard bugs.

We live in an area that had Box Elders with their attendant Box Elder Bugs, Our neighbor had chickens for a while and they'd come visit and clean out the bugs and any ticks or grubs from the yard. We welcomed their visit even if I did have to rake the mulch back a bit.

The neighbor on the other side was the one to complain about the chickens messing up his landscaping (guess he preferred the Box Elder Bugs). He complained to Animal Control who canvassed the neighborhood for other complainers. Oddly, non of us had noticed the chickens out loose... ever. :D

NOT the case when they asked about problem neighbor's dog who was left in the yard to bark for hours at a time including overnights. THAT we could all remember.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hey DriveNJ!
We have the BE bugs too and they are plentiful.
Come to think of it, last Summer when my hens were out & keeping to my acreage I noticed a lot fewer BE on & in my house.

Neighbors are worried about the landscaping because they are thinking of moving (per Mrs Neighbor).

Don't you wanna relocate to the Midwest?

FWIW: across the other road (I am at an intersection) there is a 9ac farm with brick ranch & pole barn for sale...

C'mon, join me here in Hoosierville and help me re-train my Hackney Pony to drive :winkgrin:

Poniesofmydreams
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:08 PM
Our cat looks at the chickens and runs. We only let ours out to free range when we are outside. They like us so much they stay close by:lol:

RacetrackReject
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:11 PM
Yep - my first egg cost me $1000.00 .. if you know what I mean.. and I still want to let them out to wander. Last weekend I had a close call as I caught the cat in the "crouching tiger' position.. ready to land her biggest meal ever!

I think the semi-feral cats here each tried that. Once. They were met with pissed off ruffled feather razor beak pecking chicken head to head. They decided there were easier ways to get something to eat, like stalking wild boar.

My JRT tried to chase chickens when I first bought them, but he has learned to leave them alone and only chase what is left of the neighbor's roos when they get into the yard. That is not to say that my chickens don't chase him, which they do on a few occassions every day.

kinnip
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
My cats like to pretend they could take down a chicken, or even one of the turkeys, but they know better. Those birds would clean their bones before I even knew they were missing.

KayBee
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
My cats like to pretend they could take down a chicken, or even one of the turkeys, but they know better. Those birds would clean their bones before I even knew they were missing.

Funny to watch my cat in hyper-stalking mode when he is inside watching the wild turkeys on their late-afternoon parade across the yard.

Funnier to watch him pretending not to see them when he is outside.

Frank B
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
...Why do the chickens cross the road?...
To prove to the 'possums that it CAN be done.

Calvincrowe
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:37 PM
No, it was the possum's day off, that's why the chicken crossed the road.:lol:

JSwan
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:37 PM
To prove to the 'possums that it CAN be done.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ltc4h
Mar. 24, 2011, 06:01 PM
Chickens hate water.
Used to have the hose out there waiting-but it's easier for Us all to leave it hooked to motion sensored sprinkler.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
Chickens hate water.
Used to have the hose out there waiting-but it's easier for Us all to leave it hooked to motion sensored sprinkler.

:confused:
So how do I setup 330'X660' for a 12h sprinkler & not run my well dry?

And my girls don't seem to mind water as they will stay out in the rain.
Nothing nicer than the scent of wet feathers in the coop <insert ICK icon>

ThisTooShallPass
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Chicken Tractor. They wander exactly where you tell them to.

Ltc4h
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
Just need to attach hose to one sprinkler head, set it about 5-10' from road/property. These are motion sensor activated, mine only sprays about 5 seconds. You can set the distance it reads, so chicken gets in sensor and gets blasted with jet stream of water.
Mine stay out in rain too, but this is forceful water pressure
Mine learned in a few days, sort of works like invisible fence for dogs.

I don't have this exact one, but...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_1050064_1050064

foggybok
Mar. 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
equusvilla:
you got one tough barncat

My little Verminator has brought down rabbits near her size ,but one look at my chickens talking smack & she backed away.
Never to return.

Chickens also were not fazed by GFs crazed JRT barking at them from my porch.
One started up the steps like:
"You wanna piece of this?"

OK, I guess I bow to the COTH concensus. My hens just became non-freerange.
Makes it less stressful for me. No hawks or stray dogs to worry about.

Maybe fenced in they will go after the rats who have moved into the coop.

I need to find the video of my chicken chasing my 25# cat around the yard, around a tree and finally up into the tree.... Chester does NOT mess with the chooks!

I think I have one of them stealing a bone from the 50# border collie too.....

Don't mess with the chooks!:eek:

:)

2DogsFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 06:58 AM
Just need to attach hose to one sprinkler head, set it about 5-10' from road/property. These are motion sensor activated, mine only sprays about 5 seconds. You can set the distance it reads, so chicken gets in sensor and gets blasted with jet stream of water.
Mine stay out in rain too, but this is forceful water pressure
Mine learned in a few days, sort of works like invisible fence for dogs.

I don't have this exact one, but...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_1050064_1050064

That might work for me, but then I'd have to remember there's 100' length of hose out there when I mow the lawn...
With my record that is unlikely :(
I've already mowed a 10' length of soaker hose in my veggie garden.
oops

So far the chickens don't seem too upset to be contained.
I've been letting them out for 2-3h when I get home from work & egg production is actually up.
Might be the weather, might be ???

JSwan
Mar. 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
The electric netting is very nice, but pricey.

Another option that might work for you is inexpensive deer netting. I get mine at the feed store. It's cheap, tall, and long. Easy to hook to T-Posts, and move when needed.

It will not keep out a predator; it's not that strong. But it does work very well to keep my chickens out of the vegetable garden. I don't even have to look to know they are not getting in. I can tell by the muttering that they have been thwarted. :lol: I'm not putting in a garden this year so I'll let them in there to do whatever it is chickens do.

You can use T Posts, you can staple the netting to things, you can tie it to things, you can do anything with it, really. The netting is very light.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:22 PM
JSwan:
I used deer netting for a "roof" over my fenced yard.
It is going on Year 3 and works well to keep predators out - they see it and don't fly into it.
It also has the advantage of not collapsing under a heavy load of snow.

I may try installing some underneath the pines that border my road - the one the girls are crossing to get to the Forbidden Land.
They hang out in the shelter/shade under the trees then think:
"Why, lookee over there - untouched landscaping! We must attend to that..."

Deer netting strung on t-posts is a cheap enough thing to try & even if it's a bit unsightly won't be seen from the road.
Might work...until they figure out it doesn't cover the whole road.
Hey!
It took them almost a whole Summer to discover I had only fenced the veggie garden 3/4 around :lol:

hey foggybok - I'd almost pay to see that video...

JSwan
Mar. 28, 2011, 04:26 PM
I've only had one pullet killed by a hawk. I've been lucky.

Predators here are mostly four legged.

kristinq
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
I need to find the video of my chicken chasing my 25# cat around the yard, around a tree and finally up into the tree.... Chester does NOT mess with the chooks!

I think I have one of them stealing a bone from the 50# border collie too.....

HaHa! I must see this.

This thread is hilarious! :lol:

vacation1
Mar. 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
Funny to watch my cat in hyper-stalking mode when he is inside watching the wild turkeys on their late-afternoon parade across the yard.

Funnier to watch him pretending not to see them when he is outside.

:lol: I don't blame him, wild turkeys are huge. Kristinq, where did you find that quote in your sig? It's fantastic.