PDA

View Full Version : Tick Control In Small Areas?

EqTrainer
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
One of my dogs is going to be confined for over two months. Eventually during that time he will be allowed in our very small, no climb/four board fenced back yard. Alone :(.

But! Could this be an opportunity to change his status as Tick Magnet? No matter WHAT I put on this dog, he always has ticks on him. I have tried it all, including the expensive tick collar in conjunction with topicals, layering topicals, and using them at shorter intervals.

So, is there something I could - safely - treat the yard with while he is confined to it? Our vegetable garden is also inside this yard. Kids play in there, not so much as they have 22 other acres, but still.

Ideas?

SkipHiLad4me
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
Bug-B-Gone in the spray bottle that attaches to your garden hose works pretty well on clearing out ticks. I'm pretty sure that the label says pets are ok in the area once the grass has dried. I've used it in my back yard and have 4 dogs that hang out there - no problems to speak of.

kinnip
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
O.K.-- you are getting very sleepy. You trust me utterly. You cannot resist the urge to come get some of these damn guineas out of my yard!

Rbow
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
Have you had a problem with ticks in this small backyard?

I have about 10 acres, mostly pasture surrounded by wood. My backyard remains mostly tick free without any control measures at all.

The fence keeps most transient animals out and the maintained lawn is not the tick's preferred environment.

I do have problems in the pastures, but even those problems are greatly reduced by keeping the pasture grass cut low, trees limbed up high, and woods cut back bordering the pasture boundary.

If I did start noticing ticks in the backyard, I would treat with something (keeping the dogs out for awhile) and try to make the area less attractive to ticks. But you may find your dog is not picking up ticks in the backyard without treating the backyard with anything. If your dog is running the full extent of your property, he's probably picking up the ticks in the tall grass and periphery.

Besides that, everyone I've known with guineas say they are awesome tick controllers, and I also use bug-b-gone as a principal ingredient in my homemade tick spray for my horses.

SMF11
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
There is a company around here that sprays pyrethrins on shrubby/woodsy areas, b/c that's where the ticks are. Usually they are not in lawns. (Guineas, I understand, mostly are lawn grazers/bug eaters -- so normally not a way to reduce the tick population dramatically, but a way to keep the few errant ticks that might be in your yard out).

Ticks do not do well in hot and dry. So lawns that are kept shorter than 3" don't support ticks.

Ticks can drop off other traveling animals (birds, mice, chipmunks etc). In fact, mice are the animal most responsible for spreading ticks infected w/Lyme Disease. (There's a book just out called "Lyme Disease Ecology" or something like that, by Oxford University Press that talks about how to manage ticks).

If you REALLY want to be thorough, there are bait boxes that lure the mice in; the mouse eats the food in the box, and while in, gets coated with Frontline. This kills all its ticks, and kills the ticks that get on the mouse later on too.

Any other tick questions? :lol:

Rbow
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
There's a book just out called "Lyme Disease Ecology"
Any other tick questions? :lol:

I'm definitely looking for the book...we need much more research on this bacteria and disease.

I thought the small animal phase (mouse) and large animal phase (deer) were different stage hosts but I'm probably wrong. Thanks for the reference.

I agree...in my experience....manicured lawns, even pastures, rarely are infested with ticks. They tend to go elsewhere.

Tom King
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
I spray our dog yards about weekly, or at least after any rain has passed with D-limonene orange oil concentrate with a hose-end sprayer.

I buy it by the gallon from these folks:
http://www.greenterpene.com/d_Limonene_Orange_Terpenes_Food_Grade_p/001005527.htm&Click20446?gclid=CP7tpr245acCFQbe4AodWgf4wQ

We've been doing this for years and no fleas or ticks.

I spray around the outside of the yards-they border woodland with a grass buffer-with more potent stuff, but the dogs never go out there.

crosscreeksh
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:02 PM
I use the granules for fleas and ticks that they sell at Walmart - 20 pound bag. Spread on the ground and sprinkle lightly with water. I also keep my Great Pyr on Frontline. That seems to work for us.