PDA

View Full Version : Gary Mundy Leathers Questions

Halfhalting
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
To those of you who have or have seen Gary Mundy Leathers... I am about to order some, but I would like some opinions. Has anybody bought the Nylon/double leather/stitched leathers? Are they terribly thick? Would you recommend just the regular leathers or the nylon leathers?

Are the initials tacky for showing? I was thinking of just going with a discrete flower... I don't know if the inititals are "over the top"?

Thanks! I'm excited to support him and to have something specially made, even if it is just the leathers! :)

pm59
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:37 AM
WE have been riding in our double leather double stitched Gary leathers for just over a year, I have three daughters and each one got a pair last spring. They have not stretched AT ALL, they adjust easily and the stamp on the end of the leather is barely noticeable as they ride around ( like not at all) we have flowers on two sets and initials on my older daughters set. We love them!! My 7 yr old is outgrowing her set and I am about to order another pair just a few inches longer. You cannot beat the quality or the price, we love them!

Trixie
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have the lined ones, they seem enormous. They are beautiful though.

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have the lined ones, they seem enormous. They are beautiful though.
You need to use them, Missy! :winkgrin:

Trixie
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:56 AM
True! I need time for a major tack cleaning evening.

EmJ628
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:53 AM
I too have been coveting a pair of Gary's stirrup leathers!
Can anyone comment on how the wear on a calfskin saddle? I have a new saddle and my old leathers ("regular" leathers) seem to be causing abrasion on the flap. I have been debating between ordering a pair from Gary or biting the bullet and buying a pair of calfskin wrapped leathers, since I have hard the softer calfskin is supposed to protect the saddle better?

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
Trixie, do you mean they are too thick? I had just recommended Gary Mundy to a friend but didn't realize he now does lined leathers as well.

touchstone-
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
Mine are single-ply, since that's always been my stirrup leather preference.

I love the initials. They're not loud enough that you can see them from afar, but they're a nice detail up close.

Mayaty02
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
My daughter has his type #1, single leathers and they are great. She has her initials on them and you can't see it unless its very up close. The only issue is have had with them is darkening them. Gary recommended a color that has turned out to be too light and they are not darkening enough. Still working on that! Love them though and will definitely get our next pair from him.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
My daughter has his type #1, single leathers and they are great.

How did you select type #1, as I am under the impression he does not have a website? And did you get to see color samples of the leather?

T-storm chick
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
He does have a website.
http://www.rtccom.net/~gleather/#Leather%20Care

Mayaty02
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:22 PM
yeah he has a website, but you just contact him and he'll send you the price list which is where you see the different types of items available.

He didn't show me the colors, he saw a pic of my saddle and recommended the lighter color.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much, I had always heard he didn't have a website. I will tell my friend to just contact him and let them discuss it.

Afire At Night
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
I just ordered a pair for my crosby and I LOVE THEM. They're beautiful and the leather arrives supple and gorgeous, I could hardly feel them under my leg the first time I rode in them. I only got the stitched ones (no nylon center) but they seem strong and durable. I ordered them with my initials and a fleur-de-lis (sp?) stamp and it's quite subtle, not tacky at all:)

Guin
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
Mayatay, what are you doing to darken them? Mine came a bit too "red". Any hints?

Mayaty02
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
well i have no hints since nothing has worked...I have tried olive oil, neatsfoot oil, hydrophane, and just good old fashion use and conditioning (Fiebings, horseman's one step etc). They have not darkened significantly.

This is what they look like now. Ignore my daughters "sleeping with her eyes open" expression. :D
http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/34715/2984915530100098149S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2984915530100098149TkIItA)

You can see that they are still quite light, even after 6 months of use.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Mayaty, I think you should contact him and explain the situation. Since you ordered that color at his suggestion, and they have not darkened as expected, I think he should offer to redo them for you. He sounds committed to good customer service, so I doubt that would be a problem for him.

Mayaty02
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:25 PM
Mayaty, I think you should contact him and explain the situation. Since you ordered that color at his suggestion, and they have not darkened as expected, I think he should offer to redo them for you. He sounds committed to good customer service, so I doubt that would be a problem for him.

I did contact him when they came as I was very taken aback at how light they were and he said they would oil up just fine. I guess I've been waiting for them to darken but you're right they haven't. I may have to contact him but I feel like its too late at this point.

In all fairness, that picture shows the underside which is a little lighter than the outside.

This pic is from a two months ago, the light isn't as good, but you can see the excess leather is a little darker than the shot I posted earlier.

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/44199/2251002490100098149S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2251002490100098149yMMDhL)

Mayaty02
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
actually my profile picture is the best pic I have of them from the outside...they don't stand out at this point, but they are definitely not as dark as I'd like them to be.

EAY
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
I got a pair of the single-ply variety a couple of years ago and the color was not exactly what I wanted. When I called him about it he he credited me the full amount. It was right before Christmas and he didn't have time to make a replacement pair, so he just let me keep the original ones for free.

They have stretched quite a bit and I recently had about 10" cut off (they were a bit long to begin with). When I get new leathers I'll definitely go with the lined type so it's nice to hear that he's making them now.

The initials add a nice touch and as others have said are not visible unless you are close.

SarahandSam
Mar. 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
The single-ply ones definitely stretch, but have held up really well. I don't really mind the stretching; every now and then I just have to put them up a hole, which saves wear and tear on a single hole anyway. I've had mine for about a year and a half, I think, and they're in great shape. I have my initials and the oak design, and it's very subtle, as others have said.

I've heard he doesn't really recommend the nylon cores, because they're so thick... but if you really want a pair that doesn't stretch, the double-ply would probably stretch only minimally.

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:04 AM
Trixie, do you mean they are too thick? I had just recommended Gary Mundy to a friend but didn't realize he now does lined leathers as well.

I think Trixie is still admiring hers and figuring out the best way to remove the waxy coating prior to conditioning them. They haven't made it quite to the saddle yet.

She admired her three chicken's egg output for over a month before she broke down and cooked with the eggs. :lol:

BAC
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
The single-ply ones definitely stretch, but have held up really well. I don't really mind the stretching; every now and then I just have to put them up a hole, which saves wear and tear on a single hole anyway. . . . I've heard he doesn't really recommend the nylon cores, because they're so thick... but if you really want a pair that doesn't stretch, the double-ply would probably stretch only minimally.

I wouldn't mind if they stretched evenly but mine never did, so my irons were always a bit uneven, which drives me crazy. Maybe his nylon lined leathers are too thick but my CWD's are not, the calfskin is like butter, they have small flat buckles so you don't even feel them and they are easy to adjust from the saddle and haven't stretched at all in the almost 6 years I have been riding in them. They are a lot more expensive than Gary Mundy though. I would be curious to hear what others think of his lined leathers though, as I have a friend who wants leathers that won't stretch, but at a reasonable price.

TarheelJD
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
I have nylon lined Stubben leathers, and they have been great. They haven't stretched out at all, and I haven't found them to be too bulky or difficult to adjust when in the saddle.

I just ordered a pair of Gary's nylon lined leathers. I'll let everyone know how they compare to the Stubben leathers when they arrive and I've had a chance to ride in them.

Everythingbutwings
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't mind if they stretched evenly but mine never did, so my irons were always a bit uneven, which drives me crazy.

BAC, you do swap your leathers when you clean them, right? It is not uncommon for one to stretch more than the other due to the habits of the rider. Switching them back and forth from right side to left should keep them stretching evenly.

SaddleUp158
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:54 AM
BAC, you do swap your leathers when you clean them, right? It is not uncommon for one to stretch more than the other due to the habits of the rider. Switching them back and forth from right side to left should keep them stretching evenly.

Thank you for mentioning this! I have never even thought about leathers stretching unevenly. I just purchased new leathers, so I will be sure to switch them every so often.

BAC
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:02 PM

Yes, I used to switch them, but they still stretched unevenly. Even my expensive Hadfields leathers. Now I just stick to my CWDs so its not an issue, I will never go back to regular leathers.

Foxtrot's
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:35 AM
I've e-mailed him twice with no reply - anybody know if he is good at replying or not. Just busy? I got one answer to my first e-mail, but not my order :(

EAY
Apr. 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
I've e-mailed him twice with no reply - anybody know if he is good at replying or not. Just busy? I got one answer to my first e-mail, but not my order :(

He was very quick to reply to me, but that was a couple of years ago so perhaps he's busier now.

TarheelJD
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:08 AM

That is odd - I had very prompt responses from him to all of my emails, and had the leathers I ordered pretty quickly. Perhaps something happened with your order email (caught in his spam filter, etc.), and he didn't receive it? I'd reach out to him again.

I got the nylon wrapped leathers, and they don't ssem thicker than my Stubben nylon wrapped leathers. I haven't ridden in them yet, but they seem very well made.

cada931
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
Just got my first pair from Gary, thanks to COTH recommendations! He usually replied to me within a day.

I got #1 plain single ply from Gary - like the ones I had "back in the day" - because the nylon-lined ones I had were too thick to easily slide through the bars. My daughter and I share so we adjust the stirrups often! When I told him the measurements of the holes we were using, Gary did a great job of arranging the number of holes to accomodate both of us. His order information is pretty up-front about all leather stretching as just the nature of the material, so I know I'll have to change sides periodically.

I sent him a picture of my saddle and the color matches well. The single-initial monogram is very nice.

Will definitely order again when I need another saddle for one of those CANTER cuties - this site is a bad influence :)

vanilla
Apr. 11, 2011, 08:41 AM
I too have been coveting a pair of Gary's stirrup leathers!
Can anyone comment on how the wear on a calfskin saddle? I have a new saddle and my old leathers ("regular" leathers) seem to be causing abrasion on the flap. I have been debating between ordering a pair from Gary or biting the bullet and buying a pair of calfskin wrapped leathers, since I have hard the softer calfskin is supposed to protect the saddle better?

When I bought my Antares calfskin saddle the Antares rep told me to use calfskin leathers as they would be less abrasive on the flap. If Gary has calfskin leathers personally I would order those.

jn4jenny
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
Attention, Mundy lovers--there's someone selling a pair of brown bottom-adjust Mundy leathers on another forum. Not my leathers, not my sale, but these are so hard to get:
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/feeler-gary-mundy-bottom-adjust-leathers-brown-400903.html

TheHorseProblem
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:19 PM

If I were ordering another set of leathers from him, I would get a different stamp on each leather so that I would remember to switch them more often. I love them, though.

I have a pair of Passier calfskin lined leathers that I quit using before a year had gone by. The leather pretty much shredded and they look awful. I don't know how Gary's would hold up, but calfskin is pretty delicate in general.