PDA

View Full Version : NZ Horse of the Year Puissance..must see!!

Rockin*
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:30 AM
Been a while since I have visited the COTH forum but wanted to share this unbelievable ride by a young rider Vicki Wilson over a 6 foot wall on her 15.1hh mare...bareback!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GgCXLuBV3w

There are 3 girls in the family and they are all amazing riders here is another video of Amanda riding her pony Showtym Viking at home...he was SJ Pony of the year 2010 then when he went to get measured as a 7 yr old it was decided as he was barely over to register him as a Hack...he then went on to win the 7 yr old Jumper Title..2011..
what you will see in this video is being ridden over fences without saddle or bridle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZk-3aEGXE&feature=related

Hope you enjoy the clips and there are more on facebook or youtube if you want more.
Love watching these girls...they are amazing!

ridingmomof3
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:12 AM
well I am impressed!

equidae
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
1st video was quite awesome. Thanks for sharing.

As for the second video, not so impressed. Feeling really bad for the horse's back. Rider legs swinging to and fro, rear end banging on the pony's back with every beat. I cringed a little. No helmet either.

Whatever.

morganpony86
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
There are 3 girls in the family and they are all amazing riders here is another video of Amanda riding her pony Showtym Viking at home...he was SJ Pony of the year 2010 then when he went to get measured as a 7 yr old it was decided as he was barely over to register him as a Hack...he then went on to win the 7 yr old Jumper Title..2011..
what you will see in this video is being ridden over fences without saddle or bridle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZk-3aEGXE&feature=related

A kid jumping a pony bareback, bridleless, and without a helmet. Over not insignificant fences, nonetheless. Looks like a FUGLY blog entry to me!

foursocks
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
Holy cow, really? The second video was one of the quietest rides possible, with or without a saddle and bridle. What video were you watching? Swinging legs? Well, if you look you wont see pinched knees or any banging on the sides- you see a quiet, relaxed leg wrapped around the barrel. Did you see her do voltes- with no freaking bridle and a balanced, quiet seat? Seriously, people- perhaps try to be more objective?

I don't know why I'm amazed that this video, which I consider very impressive, would be immediately criticized on here.

As for the helmet- it's a personal choice, and one made most often in the States- it's not Universal Law.

HuntrJumpr
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Both impressed me! Completely agree with Foursocks opinion of the second rider. As for the helmet - her choice. Its not an automatic thing for some people or in some places (& hey, she was wearing a safety vest. :P).

To the MAX
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:54 AM
Uh, I definitely think the jumping in the first video is impressive, but did anyone read the description?
"She elected to go bareback to 'give others a chance'"
That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You just KNOW that you're SO much better than everyone else that you declare you'll give yourself a handicap just to help the other competitors out?

2tempe
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
back in my 20's while waiting to replace a stolen saddle, I spent a bunch of time bareback,and was ever so impressed w/ myself that I could jump a 2'6" fence and stay on. (sans helmet and sans safety vest - lol). So looking at this person over a growing wall, yes, I found it impressive that she got the job done. And that is way higher than I would ever jump, w/ any equipment! No editorial comments on her quote.
Re the sister, I also thought she rode quietly and I did not feel sorry for the horse, as he did not look like he had too tough a job; guessing he could have dropped her in a second if he had wanted to.......

pds
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
1st video was quite awesome. Thanks for sharing.

As for the second video, not so impressed. Feeling really bad for the horse's back. Rider legs swinging to and fro, rear end banging on the pony's back with every beat. I cringed a little. No helmet either.

Whatever.

Exactly my sentiments when I read your post - "Whatever."

NOTHING wrong with either video. Great rides, super nice horses and all (rider and horses) with a lot of talent.

The holier than thou helmet police here on COTH are really quite boorish.

Isabeau Z Solace
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
Helmets are lovely, by honestly these two young ladies have demonstrated some pretty skilled horsemanship and riding !

Kudos !:D

Foxtrot's
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Apart from the helmet issue - this is what makes kids into horsemen and develops that derring-do that one does not learn when constantly under the guidance of a trainer in an arena. It is New Zealand.

dani0303
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
I agree that I saw nothing offensive about the second video other than the lack of a helmet. If you're really looking for something to post on Fugly, check out the other 99% of bareback videos on youtube.

Florent
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
If you are light-weighted, your horse will most likely jump higher without saddle than with a saddle...well...of course you need to have a very good position, just like those two girls!

As for the helmet, if someone is not wearing a helmet because it "does not look good" or because the "hairs are all messed up", this is retarded. If the reason is different (eg. someone who has never used a helmet...) it becomes debatable.

Kudos to those two girls!

KateKat
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
wow that first one was crazy! She has legs of steel. Even on the landing she was staying off her horse's back. I think I would die if I did that!

Rockin*
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
Glad to see that the majority of you appreciated what you saw in both videos..like I said the 2nd pony went on to win NZ SJer Pony 2010 and this year they decided not to try and measure him as a pony but present him as a Horse and he won the 7yr old SJer 2011.
I don't know where the comment came in regards to giving others a chance but a nicer family of unassuming girls you would never meet,they always have a smile and a pleasant demeanor..in fact all are drop dead gorgeous and could be models but they are happiest just riding the beaches and farmland on their property up North check them out on FB.
I debated about the helmet but what you need to appreciate here are these girls are naturals,the empathy they have with their horses is something few of us have. Every year I go to an auction up North where the top ponies and horses are bred and broken in by the Maori people,children ride these horses/ponies all the time without helmets,saddles that is the way they have grown up and some of the more natural horsemen come from this area.You can guarantee if you buy a horse from them it will never put a foot wrong.
One of these men Taukiri Te Whata is one such person,he can take an unhandled unbroke young horse and have a halter on it in 20 minutes and under saddle in 2 to 3 days. Amazingly the horse remembers everything he has taught it and 6 months later he can come back and start where he left off. He travels all over the world especially to Ireland a country of true horsemen because they love the results he gets with their horses. To watch him in action is a real privelege and a rare experience of the bond between man and horse.

equidae
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:35 PM
Exactly my sentiments when I read your post - "Whatever."

NOTHING wrong with either video. Great rides, super nice horses and all (rider and horses) with a lot of talent.

The holier than thou helmet police here on COTH are really quite boorish.

Not boorish, I couldn't care less if someone wears a helmet or not, really. They can fall on their head if they want, I just didn't care for the video or riding for some reason.
Oh well.

KateR
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:32 PM
Great videos, wish I could ride like either of them! The helmet is her choice and I think it was a normal vest she was wearing, not a safety vest. My only WTF about the videos was in the background of the second one there is a jump on the arena that is a wire fence!

Rockin*
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
Great videos, wish I could ride like either of them! The helmet is her choice and I think it was a normal vest she was wearing, not a safety vest. My only WTF about the videos was in the background of the second one there is a jump on the arena that is a wire fence!

Yes you did observe correctly. All Hunters in NZ are trained to jump wire fences because out on the hunt field sometimes there is not a spar so they jump right over the 7 wire field fence...separates the boys from the men...LOL!! Also in some Hunter competitions it is a requirement as we expect our Hunters to be just that....hunters.

Rockin*
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
In regards to the helmets I think that in the USA in Western riding as well as top level dressage where they wear a top hat safety helmets are also not worn...??

Renascence
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:29 PM
They foxhunt over tall barbwire fences over there, so that wire jump must seem tame!

jellopudding
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:51 PM
In regards to the helmets I think that in the USA in Western riding as well as top level dressage where they wear a top hat safety helmets are also not worn...??

You are correct :)

Rockin*
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:15 AM
They foxhunt over tall barbwire fences over there, so that wire jump must seem tame!

Try to avoid the barbed wire fences and we also don't hunt foxes...only hares here....would be fun though..;)

seeuatx
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:24 AM
Awww, someone call the Fugly police. Here we have some swinging legs, some bouncing bums, and non-approved helmets. How dare they. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s2dBTcs4QI

;)

Seriously, I wish I could ride half as well in the saddle as either of those two girls or these guys can ride bareback. Thanks for posting, Rockin*

P.S. Wasn't it Fugs herself that was totally enamored with the whole Stacey Westfall thing? That also involved bareback, at breakneck speeds, without a helmet. Hmmmm.

Rockin*
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
Ha..Ha..Ha...listen if I was jumping bareback at that height I'd have more than swinging legs and bouncing bums going on...more like a train wreck...LOL!!

NZSpots
Aug. 7, 2012, 04:35 AM
Taukiri Te Whata started my mare and six months later we won Novice Champion Horse at a county (A&P)show. He's a wonderful, wonderful trainer. He is coming out this weekend to where I board my horses and I love watching him work with horses of all different backgrounds. I watched him train a horse to piaffe from the ground last time he was here.

ParadoxFarm
Aug. 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
Well, I was impressed. I just think what great adult riders they will be. What kids don't love to go out and tool around bareback? I didn't wear a helmet as a kid either....though you won't catch me dead on a horse without one now. :)

Hauwse
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
"back in the day" jumping bareback was part of your training(not 6' walls).

It forces you to sit quiet, stay in the middle, and, of course, helps you feel the horse. All things that are much harder to do in today's modern saddles.

These same principles apply to jumping without stirrups, the feeling part all depends on what type of saddle you are using.

This is great for the horse as well, the rider position is much more dynamic from the horses perspective, and as long as the rider stays in the middle the horse can move the rider in conjunction with its jump, which eliminates the vast majority of mistakes a rider makes as far as the horse is concerned.

Every rider should do this, or at least ride without stirrups frequently to reset their position according to the horse they are on, makes for a more compassionate, thoughtful rider, which makes for happier, and willing horse.