PDA

View Full Version : Your most "attractive" farm getup

Serigraph
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
I was just thinking about what I sight I must look like when I went out to feed the horses a few minutes ago.

I had on pink boxers, blue and neon green striped socks, brown fleece lined crocks, an old lady light blue sweatshirt with a brown Indiana Jones T underneath, and a head lamp. A sight to behold.

There have been many more worse outfits however. Especially in winter. What are some of yours?

Fortunately we all know our horses love to see us whatever we wear since our arrival ususally means food.

deltawave
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:19 PM
Since I feed on my way to work in the morning, the combination of my nice, clean work clothes and the skanky muck boots that live in the tack room is comical, if nothing else. I dread the day when I'll eventually forget to switch back into my work shoes!

I like bright colors, and have very little matchy-matchy sensibility, so my barn and riding clothes can get a little crazy: purple hat, magenta sweater, kelly green vest, pink socks . . . :D

Bluey
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:26 PM
In the winter, it is the michelin man look.
If I fall, I just roll along.:winkgrin:

coloredcowhorse
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
In the winter, it is the michelin man look.
If I fall, I just roll along.:winkgrin:

Hahahaha.....me too....probably look a little like the fat suits on the Ellen Degeneres show....fall over and roll to where I want to get. Two pairs of long johns, fat jeans, thick sweatpants over that. Cotton socks, wool socks, funky old steel toed work boots that are coming apart at seams but I spent too much to throw them away until they truly fall off my feet. Long john shirt, t-shirt, long sleeved t-shirt, at least one hooded sweatshirt, down vest, windbreaker with hood (over the hood of the sweatshirt and possibly over a ski hat). Cotton roping gloves, leather thinsulate lined work gloves. If I remembered...my hair tied back under all in a scrunchie...if not then graying red/blond/light brown whatever color hair blowing around and usually getting in my eyes. Getting back into the house I'm usually covered with a fine coating of high quality alfalfa leaf that is inevitable as the wind here WILL switch direction just as I step out of the house in order to make me wear at least some significant portion of the hay budget ON me when chores are complete. No wonder I have no social life.

susanne
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:13 AM
I like the Oregon early summer look, when the mud and rain are warm. I'm particularly fetching in long tshirt, shorts and black rubber boots. My fancy-man gelding is humiliated to be seen near me!

sk_pacer
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
I always look especially classy in winter. The usual ensemble is baggy fleece pants (werent baggy until this winter), a permanently dirty sweatshirt (engine grease), a tan canvas coat with one pocket flapping happily in the breeze, camo gloves and camo aviator hat w/fur earflaps and face flap and with a lovely patina of grease, oil, horse slobber and cat food smears. I complete the look with Muck Boots and finish with eau de diesel fuel. Right now, I have tossed away the camo waterproof winter gloves for a lighter pair that are neon green or yellow (they are bright anyway) with dipped palms so I can grip stuff when it is wet. tIn summer, I do look a lot better and cleaner except for the filthy ball cap and that almost permanent diesel fuel smell. As far as hair style? well just old hippie with roan hair now :)

BasqueMom
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:33 AM
Long nightgown, barn shoes, short coat. Not so cold, nightgown, blue jeans, barn shoes. In Colorado, after a storm, nightgown, carharts, boots, bomber hat...come back in take off all but nightgown and go back to bed.

barnbum81
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:41 AM
ugh this is so fitting, yesterday one of those always put together super adorable moms who just writes the check and doesn't know a thing about horses (until the kid quit that is) dropped off some stuff to me because I bought their old pony, I was out back cleaning out sticks from a new pasture we just cleared and we were burning them in a small bonfire, I unruly hair looked like greasy smokey dreadlocks, I had on stretchy pants that have bleach and other various stains on them, old uggs boots with a hole worn through the toe, my husband holey sweatshirt that practically hangs to my knees, NO BRA!!! (gasp) so the girls prob. looked like they were to my knees too ;-) and reeked like smoke (with bloodshot eyes and runny nose from the smoke to boot) and to top it off all four kids are running around dirty and two of the dogs came running up the driveway barking and circling her!! Needless to say I was mortified.

kcmel
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:44 AM
Definitely my Walls insulated coveralls. Adds about 50 lbs. Mr KC loves to make fun of me when I wear them.

EqTrainer
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:02 AM
Lets not forget... Not only do we look fetching but we smell even better :lol:

Polydor
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:37 AM
For me its not the morning feedings that get me, its the night checks. Since horses are generally fed by boss ( earlier then I start work) or by me when I get to work I am already in work clothes.

Night checks can get an odd variety of outfits. Most are some combination of hot pink pj pants ( or shorts) with pull on muck boots ( generally no socks but if I do have socks they are fuzzy slipper socks). Tops is normally the corresponding pj top ( so hot pink ) with either a fleece sweater on top depending how cold it is.

There has been more then once that i have had to call boss to deal with a colic in my lovely outfits. lol

Don't tend to worry to much since its only a 20 foot dash to the barn , a quick check to make sure everyone is happy and no one is cast ( normally hear them anyway). Have more troubles dodging the sprinklers in the dark! hehe

P.

fordtraktor
Mar. 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
Polarfleece PJ pants, long sleeve shirt, purple western jacket from 1992, muck boots, and my iPod so I can muck stalls with a book tape. Winter, cover it with Carhartts. Summer, change all that to tank top, athletic shorts and ratty sneakers. With book tape on iPod.

shea'smom
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:00 AM
My favorite trick is to think, "nobody is here, going to see me". those are the days I end up at the vets or some emergency drug store run.
Best outfit, baggy stained sweats that hang waaayyy down past my crotch, holey favorite sweat shirt, split seam paddock boots, no makeup, don't comb the hair. Loverly.

deltawave
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
no makeup, don't comb the hair

SOP. :) Gave up makeup decades ago, and the hair is wavy and short and no comb can tame it, so I call that "my style". :D

leilatigress
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:54 AM
Ball cap, baggy sweat shirt for winter tank top for summer and either breeches covered by sweats or yoga pants. Tall cowboy boots are always on my feet though the color and state of disrepair change by what's closest to the door. High summer has me in shorts which are usually cut off jeans. My trainer is constantly amazed at how I manage to ride in shorts and cowboy boots and not chafe the heck out of my legs.

oldenmare
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
Barnbum

LMAO at your description - at least when that other mom dropped off the stuff, you made her feel like she was giving to a worthwhile cause!!!!

Bwwahhhahhhahhhaaa.

I can only imagine! Yeah - the meter-reader came in early one day while I was still in barn "attire" - sweats chopped off at the knee, tall clunky muck boots and coleman plaid shirt over some tacky tshirt, no makeup (eek!) and hair standing on end. It was quite attractive to him - NOT! I think he visibly recoiled!

KSAQHA
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, my rag-tag barn wardrobe consists of anything worn, stained, and/or out of style (probably never in style to begin with). In fact, unless I'm especially dirty, I don't bother to change after evening chores...which, prompted DH to comment just last night (as I was watching "What Not to Wear"...how apropo) "You should see about getting on that show". SIGN ME UP!

Also, I cringe when the doorbell rings - it's a major debate whether to answer it or not. I usually peek out the window, first...if it's a delivery person, they can just leave it on the porch.

Lmabernathy
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
The girl that feeds left the water on in the pasture the other night. I was just about to go to bed when she texted me. I went out in an old t-shirt and grey and pink sneakers. At first I went out in socks and then figured out she left on the water in the very back pasture.

The things you do when you live on a farm LOL

VCT
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
In winter: fur lined hat with knit outside and weird mohawk made out of yarn, it has the ear flaps and long things hanging down with little knots on the ends. Anyways, it's ridiculous in itself but its the warmest hat ever. Jack with various stains on it, with lots of layers undernear, sweatpants or powerstretch fleece leggings, camo insulated tall boots. polar fleece lined deerskin gloves.

In Summer: Tee shirt, shorts, tall leather "country boots" or sleeping shirt (comes to knees) and said country boots.

Spring and Fall: Whatever combination works for the conditions LOL

Never any makeup.. usually sporting a hat of some sort. I tend towards the messenger type hats or "golf" hats.

HPFarmette
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
Hay In My Bra...first stop after arriving at work is ladies' room to get the hay out of hair and brush off whatever went down the front of the coat....

coloredcowhorse
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hay In My Bra...first stop after arriving at work is ladies' room to get the hay out of hair and brush off whatever went down the front of the coat....

Cured that problem....don't wear one unless riding or "cleaned up" for something. Thankfully not working away from home OR working something that is in the middle of the night and pretty solitary (delivery route).

rainechyldes
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
This time of year ..
this morning I fed in snowmobile boots, tatty pair of jeans, a lime green boise idaho tshirt with stains all over it (wood stain, they'll never come out) A padded lumber jacket, a toque (brush my hair? what? ) and a pair of wool gloves. I was fair styling!

as I've been known to do morning feed in my housecoat and rubber boots too...

2DogsFarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
& I love you

See my thread from today: "Chickens got busted"

I can tell you (& only you) I had to put the nasty, worn-for-at-least-a-week sweatpants back on when the doorbell rang.
WTF: I was feeding, we don't need no steenking panties!

And the t-shirt on top had frayed sleeves and a fist-sized hole in the vicinity of my right boob that I had to cross my arms to conceal.
Bra? I laugh....
Hair coiffed by rapid removal of stocking cap into a fright wig...a gray fright wig...

Outside you can add t-neck so stretched out it is nearly off-the-shoulder, polarfleece anorak attractively flecked with hay fines, cathair & stall cleanings.
Timberland boots covered with mud & manure (horse & chicken).

In warmer weather the sweats are replaced by shorts - my favorite pair is thin cotton XL jockey-style shorts printed all over with horses & complete with open fly.
Top with whatever t-shirt is not yet stained beyond redemption and red plaid rubber gardening clogs
Shaved legs optional, tanned legs almost unheard of.

I positively shriek:
Fa-Shun P-L-A-T-E!

wsmoak
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
One day this winter: red sweatpants, blue hoodie, _purple_ canvas barn coat with lime green trim (it was on sale at Sierra Trading Post!), brown striped knit hat, brown rubber boots (hey two things match!).

springer
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:56 PM
I believe yesterday my look consisted of plaid flannel pajama pants, dirty sweatshirt, equally dirty fleece vest covered with hay and cat hair, and a different plaid barn jacket (also dirty). Topped off with a striped stocking cap, and the rubber barn boots I have lived in since October. Not one of my better days. Normally I would not mix plaids :)

KateR
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:20 PM
I have a few contrasting looks, for wet and humid weather there is the singlet with shorts and gumboots. Then for colder weather there is the feral pair of tracky pants that I only wear to feed, they are too short for me (finish a couple of inches above my ankle) have numerous holes and have so much dirt and horse feed on them that they can probably stand up on their own. The horses also like to lick them because they taste like feed! Last winter was particularly lovely, where we lived had the most horrible mud imaginable and I would end up with splashes of it from head to toe to compliment the 'normal' dirt!

Blue Yonder
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:29 AM
2DogsFarm, that is awesomely hilarious. I'm giggling with you in solidarity. Bad fashion is one thing, but we women with the cajones to wear hole-in-the-booby-vicinity shirts gotta stick together. :lol:

I live in South Texas.

It is almost always Hot.

I have finally been coerced into retiring most (but not all!) of my Gray XL Shirts, from my days as an equipment manager for my university's football team. Familial mockery may amend my ways, but you'll pry the last gray out of my cold dead hands. :mad:

I graduated in '96. My famous gray Russell shirts are XL sized, as in they are almost big enough for an offensive lineman. I am 5ft8 and about 140 pounds. My grays are...um...a little big.

They cover any regular length shorts, which I do always wear, but which are never viewable as my shirt stops about mid-thigh.

The neighbors and any passers-by think I'm feeding in a t-shirt and....nothing else!?!? :eek: Well, some white ankle socks from Target and slip-on dirt-colored tennis shoes, I guess.

That's right, I am a lady of mystery and intrigue. Just WHAT is on under that gray XL? :lol:

carolprudm
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:52 AM
Probably the WORST ever was pne hot sticky August day. I was working in the pasture behind the house and was wearing gym shorts and sports bra. I jooked up to see a neighbor (whom I seriously disliked) poking around my horse trailer. I hollered at him and he came over, clearly embarassed both at being caught and at my appearance.

A few months ago I was awakened by another neighbor calling to tell me that there were two horses loose. I bolted out of the house, grabbed a halter and a bucket of goat food and hopped into my golf cart to investigate. Thankfully they weren't mine but I knew who owned them.

By this time neighbors are also out and about doing normal non horsey things while I'm running around in green PJ's and pink crocks. Luckily I got the horses and stuffed them into an otherwise vacant paddock before the nice men from Snowden came along with their white jackets and butterfly nets.

My usual summer barn outfit is PJ's over a bathing suit but this summer I think I'm going to upgrade to scrubs

Wayside
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:27 AM
This year I got a huge hole in one of my big rubber boots, and was inordinately pleased to discover that I had, in fact, saved the last pair of boots that had a hole in them, and that if I threw out just the boots with holes, I had one intact left boot and one intact right boot remaining. They don't match, one is brown, and the other is black, wider and taller. But they both keep the water out. :lol:

The rest of my attire is generally comparably mismatched and worn out as well. :lol:

2DogsFarm
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:25 PM
Blue Yonder - why thank you
Is it not a blessing to arrive at the Let-the-Neighbors-Stare&Be-Damned! stage of Life?

Reading these (after cleaning my keyboard) I am seeing a fortune to be made in halfway decent-looking, weather-appropriate, disposable barn attire.
Or perhaps just a poncho printed with the slogan:
Really, I Do Clean Up Nicely

SMF11
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
Or perhaps just a poncho printed with the slogan:
Really, I Do Clean Up Nicely

I have actually been known to tell people that . . .

(Which reminds me, a few weeks ago I picked up my son from a sports dinner after feeding the horses. The coach stared at me and said "What happened to you? You look like someone dragged you through the bushes backwards!" )

Personally, my most charming look is shorts, knee high socks and rubber "jodphur" boots.

I adore this thread!

witherbee
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have the same look - usually ill-fitting and stained sweats, oversized T-shirt with no bra and many holes, and ratty slip on sneakers that I got at Target.

I have TRIED to update my look because as Shea'smom said, you always have an emergency or get guests when you look your absolute worst. I've bought matching track suit tops and bottoms that are long enough, but for some reason they just are not comfortable, so I end up in the "ugly-wear" portion of my closet. I ckeep saying I'll just throw the worst ones away, but I do a lot of renovation and painting, so my excuse is that they are painting clothes.

At least I am not as bad as my husband - he has a pair of extremely worn shorts that I call his "man-skirt". They were once a light green knit (scary in and of itself!), and now are so frayed, faded and stretched out that they look like a whitish skirt or culottes.

I usually fed my chickens when I am still in my robe and nightie with my dirty sneakers on. Hair and makeup? Fugeddaboutit.

ReSomething
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
Oh I don't clean up too good either. I wear an absolutely shameful uniform zip front hoodie to work. It looks like a pack of angry dogs attacked it around the shoulders and head. (Used to have to hang it where it got pinched a lot)

I took it off today and changed into a different hoodie to go knock off mud and put on blankets, because I didn't want it to smell bad. I had to laugh at myself for trying to keep this mangey item clean when nobody else in their right mind would be wearing it out at all.

Shine
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
Speaking of neighbors - on one nasty day I got bundled up to to a mid-day check. Took the shovel out to break up the ice in the water tub and did a walk around to make sure everybody was ok. Went back into to house to get undressed and thaw out and then got a knock on the door and it was the sheriffs' dept. They had a report there was a "suspicious" person around my property and were certain someone was trying to shoot my horses and then went into the house with the "gun" and were worried about my safety.

I guess in their defense, they were were home because of a "weather day" from work, and I did have a black ski mask on....

horseshrink
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
Some of the dress noted above seems kind of nice to me. I am much to embarrassed to even talk about what I wear to the barn at times.

I check "People Of Wal-Mart.com" every day as I am terrified of ending up on that website.

I am even afraid of being called the "Fash-Hole" of the week by Joan Rivers.

shea'smom
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:05 PM
I am loving this thread.
2dogsfarm, I was going to name you the winner, but the "man skirt".... I am torn now.
I have lost the ability to look decent. I had to go to Best Buy last night and my efforts to look normal were pathetic. In my head I hear Stacey from What Not to Wear saying... You were in too much of a hurry to find a belt so your jeans, which don't fit, wouldn't fall off???
the little computer nerd guy was snickering at me, I just know it.

Madaketmomma
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
At the last show I went to I had shown in the jumpers and was coming the next day just to help. I wore my knee high muck boots, long underwear with maroon and gold Arizona State wind pants, a turtleneck, navy blue tattered zip up hoodie, black puffy vest, red baseball hat with a gray flannel ear band, plaid cashmere scarf and tan gloves. I think it goes without saying that I also did not have any makeup on.

My trainer took one look at me and said "oh how the mighty have fallen." He now refers to me as Charlie who is a local hay guy who looks like a caveman and can always be seen walking around town with his butt hanging out of his pants.

Flash44
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:23 PM
This is too funny!!!

I live in my pink insulated bibs, with whatever sweater/sweatshirt happens to be around. I have a lovely safety orange down winter coat I also wear that clashes almighty with the pink bibs. I'm waiting for the orange side of the coat to get so dirty that I turn it inside out (it's reversible) and the navy blue side will show. I think the Navy blue will look better with the bibs, but I guess I need to use the orange side up or something? Now how does that make sense????

In the summer I wear short, tee shirt and tall rubber boots. Can't stand having wet feet. I have "fashion" tall rubber boots for going out in public.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
Let's see, this morning it was a kelly green, way too big, tank sans bra with large grey cotton shorts that I think may have been left behind by a previous boyfriend. Did I mention that they have fist size holes in the crotch? Both in front and back and that they hang below my knees? Add to that my pink Muck boots and winter white knit cap. Then I decided it was a tad cool out, so I ran back and grabbed my extremely dirty and covered in hay hoodie and added it on top.

My dog won't even walk out to the barn with me.

hasahorse
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
I met a shipper one morning in a t-shirt and south park pj bottoms - I had slept in the barn that night as they were supposed to be in a midnight, but didn't get to the barn until 6 am.
The shipper appreciated the look that I presented...

Fancy That
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:50 PM
Loving this thread! It's so true for those of us w/ a ranch/farm :)

BBs description below sounds closest to me. I'm also quite known for keeping the nightgown on and just shoving some sweats on, the old "barn jacket" and boots.

In winter, I always have fluffy socks/slippers on in the house, so I'll often slip on my husbands' cowboy boots in the mudroom, so I can keep my fluffies on my feet! LOL

In summer - I'll run out with just nightgown and flip flops sometimes (in the morning) - egads!

Neighbors <EDITED: CAN'T> see us, thank goodness. And the horses and dogs don't care what we wear!

ugh this is so fitting, yesterday one of those always put together super adorable moms who just writes the check and doesn't know a thing about horses (until the kid quit that is) dropped off some stuff to me because I bought their old pony, I was out back cleaning out sticks from a new pasture we just cleared and we were burning them in a small bonfire, I unruly hair looked like greasy smokey dreadlocks, I had on stretchy pants that have bleach and other various stains on them, old uggs boots with a hole worn through the toe, my husband holey sweatshirt that practically hangs to my knees, NO BRA!!! (gasp) so the girls prob. looked like they were to my knees too ;-) and reeked like smoke (with bloodshot eyes and runny nose from the smoke to boot) and to top it off all four kids are running around dirty and two of the dogs came running up the driveway barking and circling her!! Needless to say I was mortified.

Somermist
Mar. 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
My favorite trick is to think, "nobody is here, going to see me". those are the days I end up at the vets or some emergency drug store run.
Best outfit, baggy stained sweats that hang waaayyy down past my crotch, holey favorite sweat shirt, split seam paddock boots, no makeup, don't comb the hair. Loverly.

:lol:Me too. Had one of those today. Was really looking pretty in my baggy sweats, etc I was up and down all night watching one of our mares on camera. I was walking up from morning chores (so I smelled great too cause besides the regular chores is was raining a little, which always helps the smell) and standing in my driveway is a perfectly put together woman in a perfect outfit asking if I have any idea where she can buy eggs around here? Huh? We kind of live in the sticks and I have no idea where she came from, so I think between the dogs, my look and the smell she was not even listening for the answer before she hopped back into her car.:winkgrin:

barnbum81
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
great thread, and glad to know at least there are people out there like me :)

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Definitely jammies and flip flops in the summer to check on something. I have had to run to quickly get changed too when I have found a mare down starting to foal. :lol: My boarder that tends to drop by at midnight knows she can expect me to come out for a visit/chat dressed a bit odd. ;)

In the winter, it is easier, as I can just put the warm-up pants and jacket over the jammies to make a quick barn check. Then if I run into someone, I appear dressed. The flip flops still go out as long as snow is not actually on the path. :D

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:09 PM
I was trying to think of my "loveliest" feeding outfit ever, but slowly began to realize... what looks haven't I sported for A.M. feedings? I've done the "on-my way-to ____ so-I'm-trying-not-to-get-this-f*****-expensive-outfit-dirty-by covering-it-with-sweats" look, the "bra-and-shorts" look, the "everything-has-holes-in-it" look, the "this-is-why-i'm-single" look, and (most infamously) the "WHY IS IT SO GODDARNED COLD?!?!?!" look. hehe.

I love this thread.

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
but slowly began to realize... what looks haven't I sported for A.M. feedings? I've done the "on-my way-to ____

I recently did the "I am on my way to my son's wedding look." :eek: :cool:

2DogsFarm
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:16 PM
I am loving this thread.
2dogsfarm, I was going to name you the winner, but the "man skirt".... I am torn now.

Oh please!
Vote for the manskirt! :yes:
One can almost picture the dangling "parts"....

DH used to have a polo that was so long-hemmed I called it his minidress.
I still have it & if I had the legs & age to dare, I could wear it as a dress.

Keep them coming!
I am feeling a bit less dorkified reading some of these combinations.
OMG - what a convention we could have :eek:
the
mind
boggles

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
OMG - what a convention we could have :eek:
the
mind
boggles

Maybe we need to do a calendar to sell for the next good cause. :winkgrin:

Somermist
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:31 PM

:lol::lol: :lol:Oh, can I be maybe June or July? We are fence painting again this summer, then I can have black paint on me besides the lovely outfit.:winkgrin:

Serigraph
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:46 PM
I have not yet had a chance to read about everyone's ensembles, but I love the "manskirt" saying.

My husband is just as attractive in his getup's as I am, except he typically only has one standard (I have a rotating closet). Green jersey shorts, black socks to the mid calf and Teva's. Oh yea, sexy!

And as for smelling lovely, who's gonna bottle the hay/manure/urine with shaving sparkles PARfume?

My Mom got in my car the other day and she crinkled her nose and said, "Your car smells like hay." I took it as a compliment over what it can smell like.

shea'smom
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
I forgot the topper for me. I had a mastectomy so only have one of the girls left. I wear a falsey. I forget it sometimes if things get screwy in the morning. Now THAT is really a great look!
Do I win?

Somermist
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
I forgot the topper for me. I had a mastectomy so only have one of the girls left. I wear a falsey. I forget it sometimes if things get screwy in the morning. Now THAT is really a great look!
Do I win?

Ok, you win. :D You can be Miss January on the calendar. Perhaps we should get a group shot:lol:

shea'smom
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:11 PM
Why, thank you!
I think the calendar would be great.

AppJumpr08
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:47 PM
Typically I have "decent" clothes on as there's a public road that runs between the house and barn, and we tend to have people drop by when ever they see me outside...

But.

One of the first mornings after we'd moved here, and DH was not home, I awoke to the dreaded sound... hoof beats on pavement. :eek:

That morning I was chasing horses in my baby blue Wellies, pj shorts, cami (no bra, of course), and a giant sweat shirt that didn't zip...
Thank goodness the State Trooper who came on the scene in the midst of the rounding up was a woman.. who grew up on a farm.

:sigh:

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry Shea's Mom, I think Appjumpr may have just taken your spot on the cover ;)

WalkInTheWoods
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:00 PM
My tall rubber boots wore through about a month ago. I still NEED them. Thank god for Gorilla tape. It lasts a couple days before i walk thru it.

All winter i have lived in sweats that are now bagged out at the knees. My orange insulated puffy gloves got holes so i wrapped Gorilla tape around each finger. Since i feed 3 times a day, i have permanent hat hair.

One summer i had a pair of cheap rubber thongs that i really liked. Where the toe thingy goes thru the bottom, the hole got big and the thong kept coming apart. So i went to the hardware and bought a metal washer. Worked great but it clinked when i walked on hard surfaces. Kinda like tap thongs. lol

sid
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
This thread is hilarious...and comforting. My "looks" in farming garb has even surprised me when I look in the mirror -- especially after a day in the rain, muck, whatever.

Horse people understand it, but I've been doing this for so long I don't even CARE who sees me in the "farm garb" condition. And it can be nasty-looking even by my own standards. I've stopped being concerned about the stares when I head to the grocery store or go to the bank. Pitiful, isn't it?;)

Actually, in winter I do better, as I don my Wearguard insulated snowsuit with my farm logo on the patch (as if that might make people ignore the state of my hair...:eek:)

I call it my "Pat Suit". You know, Pat was that androgeounous character from SNL. Can't tell if I'm a man or a woman...therefore I don't have to look good at all. :lol::lol:

Wayside
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:16 PM
, I awoke to the dreaded sound... hoof beats on pavement. :eek:

That morning I was chasing horses in my baby blue Wellies, pj shorts, cami (no bra, of course), and a giant sweat shirt that didn't zip...

I had one of those moments a number of years ago. Fortunately my gelding Max didn't make it to the road, but he made a lap in front of the house, which turned the motion detector light in the driveway on. Saw him in the yard, zoomed downstairs, threw on a pair of huge Sorel Glacier boots, and ran out to get him in boots, a large red sweatshirt, and no pants :eek: :lol:

Thankfully, he wasn't much of an explorer, so I didn't have to leave the yard and it only took me a minute to get him back in the pasture.

AppJumpr08
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
Speaking of neighbors - on one nasty day I got bundled up to to a mid-day check. Took the shovel out to break up the ice in the water tub and did a walk around to make sure everybody was ok. Went back into to house to get undressed and thaw out and then got a knock on the door and it was the sheriffs' dept. They had a report there was a "suspicious" person around my property and were certain someone was trying to shoot my horses and then went into the house with the "gun" and were worried about my safety.

I guess in their defense, they were were home because of a "weather day" from work, and I did have a black ski mask on....

:lol::eek:

Reminds me of the time I tried to date a guy with some... er... substance abuse issues... somehow he'd decided that I'd called him while being chased through the woods by someone trying to kill me... so he called the cops... I jumped out the shower to pounding on the door, and (luckily) decided not to answer in just a towel. Gave the responding officers quite an eye full. :no:

AppJumpr08
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
I had one of those moments a number of years ago. Fortunately my gelding Max didn't make it to the road, but he made a lap in front of the house, which turned the motion detector light in the driveway on. Saw him in the yard, zoomed downstairs, threw on a pair of huge Sorel Glacier boots, and ran out to get him in boots, a large red sweatshirt, and no pants :eek: :lol:

Thankfully, he wasn't much of an explorer, so I didn't have to leave the yard and it only took me a minute to get him back in the pasture.

Lucky you! My crew was being led by Mr. Explorer himself... off down the road, back again, into the neighbor's yard (half a mile away), through the barn yard of the neighboring dairy.... Baaaaaddddddd pony!!

myalter1
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
i don't do the barn work, but some days, when i get to the barn after work, I go inthe bathroom to change. I don my breeches, sweater, coat, etc. then realize, i have no shoes (paddock boots stay in trunk.). SO i parade down the aisle in a nice slingback or high heeled pump, breeches, sweater, etc. It's QUITE a look. And YES, i have done this MORE than ONCE!

shea'smom
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:34 PM
Myalter1, you should get February, you know, Valentine's day month.

Wayside
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Lucky you! My crew was being led by Mr. Explorer himself... off down the road, back again, into the neighbor's yard (half a mile away), through the barn yard of the neighboring dairy.... Baaaaaddddddd pony!!

Yikes!

Yeah, this was back in the days when I only had two Arabs, one of which was a huge homebody and wouldn't leave the pasture even if the gate was wide open. The other was Max, who was quite fond of sneaking through the wires anytime the electric fence went out, but mostly he'd just strut around about 10 feet from the fence he'd just escaped from looking very proud of himself. Making it all the way to the front yard that night was a huge feat of courage for him.

Later on, I did end up with an explorer, Arlo, but the one time he knocked the gate off the hinges and took off, Max and Gem still wouldn't leave the yard. They just stood there and hollered at him while he trotted off down the road. Thankfully it was in broad daylight, and I already had pants on. :lol: Arlo eventually stopped to visit with a neighbor kid who was out feeding beef cattle, and I caught up with him there.

sid
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
BTW, now that this subject has come up, let me say.

Polarfleece that looks so lovely and is comfy-cozy for riding (and looks great in the horse catalogs) is NOT made for barn work. I start out looking great, want to ride..have barn work to do first.

At the end of the day I look like a Chia-Pet and a schlub on top of a horse...:lol::lol:.

Dover and others market to riders, not those of us who have to take care of them and the barn. I only wish I could like like the gals in those ads...:lol::winkgrin:

BoysNightOut
Mar. 25, 2011, 07:37 AM
My fiance finds my morning barn attire pretty funny.

This winter it's been my pj pants (usually fleece, with some sort of pattern, like this morning it's grey with white bunnies with pink scarves :D Also have blue with multi-colored reindeer, haha). Muck boots over those, with my dirty black barn jacket. Fuzzy hat on cold days. Hair usually a mess.

Good thing both the fiance, and the horses don't seem to care. :lol:

witherbee
Mar. 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
I LOVE the "tap Thongs" story!

As for the man-skirt, the sad thing is that my best friend says her husband has one too! My hubby "esacaped" one day and showed up at a farm event at a local farm in them! I was mortified and he could have cared less. I normally try to stop him before he wears something hideous in public. The good news is that I threaten to throw them out (along with all of his "favorite" holey underwear), so I have some leverage for fights lol!

I had 2 weanling colts escape and run around our yard one day when we first moved here. We are perimeter fenced, but my husband had left the front gate open (which we NEVER do), and they were headed that way. Happens I was getting in the shower so was nekkid. Grabbed a T-shirt and slip on sneakers and SPRINTED for the gate. Got there just as they rounded the corner thank goodness because we live on a road with 45 mph speed limit and a fair amount of regular traffic that goes faster than that. I left them to their romp, ran back in the house and threw on some clothes. By that time my cowboy neighbor was in the yard and he helped me corral the colts (who were like little dragons with all the excitement).

I vote for the calendar too - can hubby be the token male in his man-skirt?

AppJumpr08
Mar. 25, 2011, 08:54 AM
The man skirt TOTALLY has to be included!!

At least he went to a horse show... this thread proves that all of us have our own secret "what not to wear" moments :)

oldenmare
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:11 AM
Myalter

I have done that when I used to have a horse boarded out! It is a comical look!

Or - the reverse barn look - when I showed up in full business attire (suit, tight straight skirt and 3" pumps) because the BO's stupid partner calls me to tell me they've called the vet b/c my horse looks like he broke his hip - only to find out it was the abscess! You know - the one with the note on his stall that said "Abscess - Do NOT Turnout" (she's a moron).

The vet - who had never seen me in anything but barn grub - didn't recognize me in business clothes.

That's just sad and shows how scary I am!

Fairview Horse Center
Mar. 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
Polarfleece that looks so lovely and is comfy-cozy for riding (and looks great in the horse catalogs) is NOT made for barn work.

At the end of the day I look like a Chia-Pet and a schlub on top of a horse...:lol::lol:.

:lol: :lol:

Polar fleece - what ARE they smokin' to put that stuff and horse in the same county?!?! :eek: :dead:

The vet - who had never seen me in anything but barn grub - didn't recognize me in business clothes.

That's just sad and shows how scary I am!

I have had quite a few boarders over the years that have stopped by in business "costume". I really have to do a double take to see who they really are. :winkgrin:

myalter1
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:05 AM
One time, i showed up with my hair done (blown out straight and looking good) I was almost EMBARRASSED to walk in the barn like that! No one could believe it was me!

Grataan
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
I tend to wake up in the middle of the night "OMG, I didn't latch Treasure's stall door!" or have some urgent need/urge to run out and do a night check (bad feeling/dream) so I rock the old holey comfy stained with something nebulous scrub pants, pink girl boxers underneath (showing through the holes in the pants), whatever socks I can reach, no bra or a tank/bra with an elastic strap exposed, and a mismatched holey baggy scrub top I've stolen er borrowed from my hubs. Of course, the requisite Medusa middle of the night hair ("no one here will see me") and hubby's pull on boots (they're the same color as mine and I often steal them accidentally)

About once in 10 times I'll find some problem that requires me to call the BO or the horse's owner and wait until lots of people arrive to see me in all my glory.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:49 AM

Count me in!
I'd even be willing to let some especially grotty clothes "season" for that pic!
:lol: I can see it now
The Women of COTH
:eek:

2DogsFarm
Mar. 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
I vote for the calendar too - can hubby be the token male in his man-skirt?

R U kidding?
Make the manskirt red & he can be Mr December aka SANTA!

Me?
I wanna be MS September...becuz, ya know, everything is starting to "Fall" (lol, I kill me)

Simbalism
Mar. 29, 2011, 12:46 AM
I think some of my most interesting outfits have occurred when I had a migraine and had to drive to the barn(self care at a private farm). It usually included (in winter) a pair of men's flannel lounging pants, sweat pants, thermal shirt with sweat shirt or fleece shirt plus a jacket, thick winter socks with feet shoved in whatever boots were handy, Ice pack on head with a fleece ear warmer, hair sticking up in unusual ways due to the multiple head gear. Of course the lovely gray green color of my face really contributed to the outfit. In summer it could include any type of shorts, clam diggers, tee shirt(usually did stop to put on a sports bra since I did have to drive about 15-20min to barn), sandals or other slip on type shoe and ice pack on head.

rustbreeches
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:39 AM
My fave look came in my first pregnancy when I was trying to run a stable full of horses and stay warm. From a very short, fat man I inherited a pair of camo insulated coveralls. They paired exceptionally well with my Elmer Fudd hat. Second pregnancy gave me the I can't afford coveralls to fit (camo ones long gone) so I will throw my nearly foot taller hubby's track pants on over my sweats and then put on one of his Carhartt hoodies, which usually hang to my knees and just barely manage to zip the shell to a North Face over the top look. That was also the pregnancy that saw me outgrow my Blunnies, so I was forced to wear my Muck Boots, tops rolled down, with hubby's basketball shorts for 3 months of hot weather. My neighbor saw me and LAUGHED his butt off. Thank God I was already pregnant. That was not a style that sparked romantic feelings

Blugal
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:06 AM
Look #1: feeding horses in pajamas, find mule is loose, mule doesn't want to be caught, running around the front lawn trying to catch him, with neighbours passing by in their vehicles on the way to work.

Look #2: preparing to be a bridesmaid in summer, the dress is strapless. Having not only a bona-fide farmer's tan but also a baked-in halter-top tan from a very hot horse show weekend, now trying to blend those lines while doing farm chores... can I find a tube-top anywhere? NO. Decide to mow the lawn in my off-white strapless bra.

Look #3: the following summer, same scenario, different bride, but I DO find a tube-top (the only one in town on my 1/2 day off), a nice number in red with gold lame interwoven. Nothing says "serious working student" like a red/gold lame tube top unless it's a red/gold lame tube top combined with the suds from bathing a recalcitrant horse.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 29, 2011, 04:43 PM
My friend reminded me of this story. I think I had blocked it from my memory on purpose.

It was between 3 and 4 am one morning, years ago, and I heard a loud crash like someone wrecking in front of my house. My flatmate and I run outside, phone in hand, already dialing 911, and get about 15 steps from the front door when I hear a very familiar sound and yell "freeze, get back to the house". The sound? Lots of hooves running full on.
When we make it back to the porch, I swing the light around and spot numerous sets of eyes on the run. A cattle truck had flipped over in front of my house with over 80 cows on it and they were jumping out of the truck as fast as they could.
A lone police officer shows up and says "Can you slow people down and warn them about the cows and try to keep the cows off of the road?". I look at myself, then at the cop, and say yes. This was on a major 4 lane highway...
Picture this: green fitted t-shirt sans bra (I'm a 34f), spandex short shorts (I was asleep!!), rubber boots, hair all over, carrying an umbrella to chase the cows off of the road. My flatmate looked very much the same, carrying her own umbrella.
Not surprisingly, quite a few people refused to stop for us...lol.

WalkInTheWoods
Mar. 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
Not surprisingly, quite a few people refused to stop for us...lol.

I wouldnt have either ! lol