PDA

View Full Version : Boarding in Staunton, VA or NE Columbia, SC

pretty sneaky
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
I'm at the early stages of contemplating a move this summer - either to the Staunton, VA area or northeast Columbia, SC. I've lived off and on in both areas (I have family in each) and have a pretty firm grasp about the Columbia/Camden horse scene... from ~10 years ago, though. I need a bit more up-to-date idea of what's going on - I'll make obsessive and frequent visits before doing anything, for sure, but now I'm just in search of some food for thought.

I have two geldings that I'd need boarding for. Ostensibly, they're jumper/eventers, but we don't really show. Right now, they're on a pretty ideal system - private turnout (just the pair of them) with access to stalls when needed. I'd prefer the same, but that's probably a pipe dream - ideally, they'd be in a situation where they would get daily interaction and would have access to stalls if needed. One is a big fat fluff but bold and a bit of an alpha male. The other is a bit of a hard keeper and has some maintenance requirements (he needs a sheet/mask/sunblock in the summer and requires frequent dousing in flyspray - he's not a candidate for the "throw him in the back 40 and forget about him" school of pasture board). Neither one does well in a large-herd turnout situation - if pasture board runs more than a few horses, they'd have to be on stall board (or at a different barn).

I don't need a trainer. I would need decent footing in a ring and some access to jumps. Trailer parking would be wonderful but not a deal breaker (more of a concern in SC than in VA).

Where I am now is a strange area of ridiculously high boarding - I'm kind of looking for ideas for boarding, for one, but also a rough estimate of what quality care (as in, "I will not need to go out every day/I will trust the barn manager to do right by them" care - not "they will be micromanaged to an inch of their sanity" care) is going to cost me in either location... because, I'll admit it - that's going to play a major part in if/where I move. Because I plan my life around my horses. ;)

Like I said, I have a much better idea of the major players in Columbia - looking more for the smaller options there. I have less of a grasp on the Staunton area, largely because when I've had horses there, they've been in my front yard.

Thanks!

pretty sneaky
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:06 PM
... fairly shameless bump.

oldenmare
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
Contact Melyni Worth - she posts as Melyni on this board.

She lives in the area and has a barn (not sure if she takes boarders or not) but she will be able to give you some direction as to what is available.

Good luck in your move.

OM

potterma
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
I live in Harrisonburg and have for the past five years. I'm not completely sure about Staunton, as I don't travel that way much, but there are some good options in and around Harrisonburg. I keep my horse in Linville, VA, about 10 miles from Harrisonburg, at a private farm and absolutely love it. The horses get personalized care and I'm able to be very involved. In Harrisonburg there is a really nice place called Mill Creek, I don't think they have a website but I've been there for shows. They have an indoor, nice outdoor and I believe they have some cross country options. I've taken lessons at a place called Walnut Cove which is also really close to Harrisonburg. It's a nice place with great footing and some jumps. I know that they're very meticulous and take great care of the horses over there! Good luck :)

pretty sneaky
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

I'll obviously make several trips to the area before diving into anything, but at least now I've got a decent list to start - and a list of recommended and safe options is always a good thing, indeed. If nothing else, I can put my boys someplace a bit further out than I'd like and wait until I get a good feel for the area to find that perfect fit - that's what I did where I am now. It took a few years, but I finally stumbled onto an ideal situation... to bad my real life (as opposed to my horse life, naturally) means I have to leave after a year in my ideal situation, but those are the breaks, I suppose. :D

Thanks again! I'd love to hear any more ideas - I suppose I can make the ultimate sacrifice of going to The Tack Room for further Columbia ideas ;)

HomesteadSportHorses
Apr. 11, 2012, 03:10 AM
Hello,
I'm just a few miiles from Staunton. Have a small private barn with oversized stalls, matted, web cams, matted stall, hot/cold water stall, auto waters, pricate turn out paddocks, lighted arena and fields to hack out to. I have some of the best boarders and others that come out to ride. We go to some small local shows for fun and bigger shows to watch others to show. If decide on this area be happy to show you around or help out any way I can! Cheers, Briana Flowers