PDA

View Full Version : Critique/thoughts on this OTTB?

Slewdledo
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:31 PM
We just brought this guy home from the racetrack and are not sure what to do with him. I am a racing person, know nothing about showing or hunter/jumpers, or what you folks look for. Curious as to your thoughts on his movement, etc. This is his first time outside since coming home from the track on Saturday.

Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N--TodtiEQ&feature=player_embedded#at=53

RxCate
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Not to be snarky, but.... what movement?

We need a video of his conformation and him moving freely in the pasture at a walk/trot would be great :)

From what I can see from the front, he's got a nice chest and good butt on him, can't really see much else.

sparky6
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
Not to be snarky, but.... what movement?

We need a video of his conformation and him moving freely in the pasture at a walk/trot would be great :)

From what I can see from the front, he's got a nice chest and good butt on him, can't really see much else.

I wondered that too, but then I looked at the progress bar for the youtube video and it didn't start loading until the last few seconds when he was standing still. I'm betting that happened to you, too. If you push play again it plays the whole thing and shows him playing :)

He's cute OP-congrats! Only watched the first couple seconds of him running (and at the end when he's still) so no comment on his movement, but have fun with him!

Big_Tag
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
He's cute...nice, kind eye. Reallly moves like a QH. How tall is he?

RxCate
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
I wondered that too, but then I looked at the progress bar for the youtube video and it didn't start loading until the last few seconds when he was standing still. I'm betting that happened to you, too. If you push play again it plays the whole thing and shows him playing :)

A-HA! Okay, I see it now, he's cute! Nice hip, decent shoulder. Doesn't look too big, maybe 15.2/3? Get him going and show us his progress, he looks like he has potential!

PNWjumper
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:19 PM
He looks a lot like my Billy horse did when he came off of the track....though your guy is a little beefier. What's his breeding? It's hard to gauge much about his movement when he's tearing around the pasture, but from what I can tell I like him quite a bit. It would be interesting to see him trotting and cantering a little less playfully in an arena setting.

TheJenners
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:24 PM
;) A post-legged mule can move like a Grand Prix dressage horse when it's ya-ya'ing around the pasture like that. He looks like a big beefy guy, nice head and neck, yummy butt, nothing glaring like a bow...but movement? Can't tell. Get some normal speed trotting and repost! :)

Mukluk
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:00 AM
He looks like he's having a good time!

Slewdledo
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks! He isn't a horse who does anything halfway. Really, really fun to be around and he loves to go riproaring around wherever he is. (He ran his races with the tail sticking straight OUT. He liked to come from behind, and he'd lollygag with the tail sticking out or waving, then get to running and forget, and as soon as he hit the front up it would go again.) :lol:

He's got AP Indy (Seattle Slew/Secretariat) and Green Dancer (Nijinsky) on top and Silver Hawk (Roberto) and Moscow Ballet (Nijinsky) on bottom.

And he *does* have a bow. He bowed in the first race of his life. It hasn't ever bothered him.

I think he's taller than 15.3 (sire was 17 hands) but not sure. And yes, he has a very cute face and lovely head. His mother is the beauty queen of the whole place.

Hoping that he will end up working out to do 4-H type stuff with a kid or something.

Fillabeana
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
I don't think he looks like a QH, I think he looks like he has racehorse-body.
The CANTER sites are full of horses who are still on the track, and have this muscling. It will go away when he has been out of race training, and he will look quite different.

Apparently, he changes leads on his own and does not care to cross-canter much. Some horses won't ever cross-canter (he does at some points in the video), but the fact that he will change, or fix a cross-canter, might bode well for a talent in the flying changes on course.

If you ask the same question on the eventing board, you are likely to get answers from more folks who have seen them immediately off-the-track (muscled up like he is), after a turnout/letdown-when he will lose all that round muscle, and after 'restarting' for a career in eventing, H/J or dressage.

But there, too, you will want a conformation shot and some footage of him trotting along, more relaxed. In the video, he is GO, STOP, GO, STOP...either or and very 'up', and tense.

FineAlready
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
From what I can tell from this video, he IS cute. I do agree that it would be easier to tell his potential if we could see him under saddle or in a more controlled "free" environment.

I also agree that when they swap readily at liberty, it can (at least sometimes) translate into ease in learning lead changes under saddle. This is true of my current OTTB, who learned his lead changes in about a week and is now automatic. All I have to do is set him up by pushing him over with my "new" inside leg and he swaps on his own. In fact, he is quite offended if I use any outside leg at all ("Yeah, mom, I GOT IT!").

I would suggest that you might even consider higher level options than 4-H (though 4-H would be fine too). There are people out there who look at OTTBs for A show prospects. Is he likely to be a top A show horse? No, probably not. But, at least in some regions, you can be pretty competitive in some of the smaller/lower divisions with a good-minded TB.

Kryswyn
Mar. 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
If he showed up in my pasture, I might be a tad slow putting up a "FOUND" poster. :winkgrin:

Slewdledo
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:46 PM
Here is the same horse at the walk fresh off the trailer. (Excuse the handler, he HATES being filmed.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIDxV5Plc8

alterhorse
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:17 AM
I thought maybe He looked reluctant to take the left hind lead in the first video.

In the second video when he jogged for a few strides I thought about the possibility of seeing stiffness in his left stifle.

Not enough video of him trotting and cantering to really tell how he goes.

Otherwise he looks like a cute horse.

kayteedee
Mar. 25, 2011, 04:30 AM
His tail is hysterical, I love the way you described it in the races. I think he's cute but like someone mentioned, check out the event people as he might have the kind of motor that they look for.

Roberto/Silver Hawk is a great line for jumping, as is Seattle Slew... check out this link for a nice list of TB stallions the event folks like for jumping talent:

http://www.quadnfarm.com/TBSporthorse.html

Get him sticked so we know how tall he really is. His walk is nice, loose and free moving, I'd love to see him trot from the side too. In the field he sort of scooted everywhere, and it was so muddy I was worrying about his tendons, especially the old bow... does he lunge yet? That might be a good way to video to show some calmer gaits...

Are you thinking of rehoming him or trying him with a new career yourself? He looks like fun!