PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Ring Not Maintained

qhwpmare
Mar. 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
:confused: Our barn managers do not maintain our indoor. It is too dusty and uneven to ride in. All of us boarders have asked them to water and drag it, to no avail. I watered it a few times, but don't have the time and really, that is not my job. Any ideas how to get them to maintain the indoor???

Lady Counselor
Mar. 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
Do you know why they aren't doing it?

katie+tru
Mar. 22, 2011, 07:06 PM
Find a tactful way of giving them the clue that if you don't have an indoor to ride in there you'll just have to find one elsewhere.

qhwpmare
Mar. 22, 2011, 07:45 PM
We are all seriously considering leaving. We don't know why they don't water it, laziness is all we can come up with. We have all complained more than once. One girl has asthma and her parents are very vocal about the situation. Frustrating!!!:mad:

katie+tru
Mar. 22, 2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah... I mean, if there's no major benefits to being there specifically that you can't find elsewhere, leave. A dusty arena, as minor as that is in comparison to other things that could be wrong, is a PITA that is easily fixable by the managers. They should understand why it's a PITA in the first place. If they don't, they shouldn't be in the horse business.

coloredcowhorse
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
:confused: Our barn managers do not maintain our indoor. It is too dusty and uneven to ride in. All of us boarders have asked them to water and drag it, to no avail. I watered it a few times, but don't have the time and really, that is not my job. Any ideas how to get them to maintain the indoor???

Who pays the barn managers? Talk to them.

Equibrit
Mar. 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
All of you deduct a reasonable amount from your board payments, and put it in an account to pay somebody else to do the maintenance. Make it clear to the managers that this arrangement ends when they maintain the arena.

Schiffon
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
All of you deduct a reasonable amount from your board payments, and put it in an account to pay somebody else to do the maintenance. Make it clear to the managers that this arrangement ends when they maintain the arena.

Unless the boarding agreement does not specify that non-dusty, level footing will be provided, I think this would be hard to justify in a legal sense.

From a practical point of view, OP, did you look at the arena before you moved in? If it was the same as it is now, it is really unrealistic to expect things to change (sort of like expecting a boyfriend/girlfriend's bad habits to change once a marriage occurs). If the arena was properly maintained previously, then there could be a valid argument that you aren't getting what you agreed to and some hope that a recent defect in equipment or personnel can be identified as a cause and rectified.

I will point out that watering an indoor arena adequately by hand or with lawn sprinklers and a hose without special arena additives to the footing is extremely difficult. We water our sand/rubber with 350 gallons from an overhead system almost every am and some days in the evening, if it is hot, dry, and/or windy the top layer is a bit dusty. Before we got that system, it would take me 1/2 day to water with a sprinkler, an hour each in 3 or 4 different positions and since it needed to be done when people weren't riding, this would be in the evening and sometimes I would forget the time or the hose would leak and then there would be flooded areas...basically continual frustration. No way could I do this more than twice a week or justify having an employee on site for an evening shift to take care of it.

My experience at numerous boarding barns: the only ones with good arena maintenance were those where the person in control of it was a rider. Riders are the only ones who really "get it". Even when a rider is the manager, if they aren't able to run the drag themselves or have the power to make an employee do it (in other words, the non-horse husband or otherwise uninvolved farm owner is the only one allowed to touch the tractor) then it won't happen adequately. I'm a footing freak and am frequently seen at the end of a rake or shovel in between lessons addressing some area of the footing that has annoyed me that day.

ArabX3
Mar. 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
My barn does the same thing, when we moved in the arena looked great, however it hasn't been dragged all winter, and not watered due to freezing temps, but now that it is warmer it still isn;t getting done. There is salt added which helps but last night it was so dusty, so my SO went out and got the hose and watered it himself. We use the indoor all the time, many are already riding outside - to cold for me. So we figured since everyone moved outside now it is never going to get done. So we watered it last night and my SO will be fixing her (BO) tractor this week and once he does that for her he will drag the arena himself - problem solved! I have show horses so they are worked 6 days a week, this is a show barn so it is expected to have a nice arena - which we were promised when we moved in. Usually if things don't get done due to laziness I just do it myself!