PDA

View Full Version : Full Length English Chaps

3 is the limit
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:47 PM
I have been riding in paddock boots and 1/2 chaps for the 5 years I've been riding. My trainer used to wear full chaps back in the day. About 3 years ago she switched to 1/2 chaps. Anyway, she was able to fit into her full chaps again and is riding in them. She thought I would improve my riding and sticking in the saddle if I got a pair.

Here is the rub: Custom chaps start around $450 here in LA. Since she and I are not nearly the same size, trying to ride in hers are not really an option.

I guess my question is:
1) do you ride all the time in the full chaps
2) are yours custom
3) are yours leather or suede
4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on.
5) if you don't have custom ones but off the rack ones, are you happy with the fit and feel customization isn't necessary

Thanks in advance!

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
No, I only use mine in the fall/winter when it is cold. They are W-A-R-M!

2) are yours custom
Yes, from Journeymans.

Smooth Leather.

4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on.
I had ridden in off-the-rack ones prior to getting mine made.

DMK
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:57 PM

95% of the time, the other 5% is to remind me what boots and breeches feel like for shows. I don't mind them in the summer - and I'm further south than most, because when I take them off its like stepping in the A/C, and I don't really notice it when I ride.

2) are yours custom

Yes, Tenney's

Leather (never get rough out! srsly!)

I never really joined the half chap craze, except way back when I was riding in "gaiters (half chap predecessor). All I can remember is when I went from those to full chaps, it was like the promised land. Of course this was before I had custom boots and good half chaps didn't exist... still, I like full chaps more!

5) if you don't have custom ones but off the rack ones, are you happy with the fit and feel customization isn't necessary

N/A - mine are custom, but if you have a good leather person who can take a nip and tuck here and there, that may be an option if the price is right.

Thoroughbred1201
Mar. 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
Oh, I love my full chaps. I have Journeyman chaps that I got 11 years ago, and they have held up beautifully. Smooth out and definately custom. I used to tailor chaps, and would make them up from old western show chaps. But I wanted to splurge!

You'll love them.

Thoroughbred1201
Mar. 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
Forgot to mention: Half chaps came in with the expensive French saddles. Those expensive saddles are made of really soft leather, and riding in jeans and chaps literally wear them out. So everybody started riding in breeches and half chaps.

So consider the type of saddle you have. If the leather is really soft, don't go with chaps. I have a Pessoa GenX. It's not an expensive saddle, but It's lasted longer than the chaps and is wearing beautifully.

Look at your saddle before you decide to go with full chaps.

horsepoor
Mar. 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
I used to ride in full chaps - mine were custom from Leather and Spice, who are no longer making them. If I could still fit into them (which I don't!), I'd still use them in the winter as they are warmer. But I really prefer half chaps now days. I didn't realize it until I made the switch and felt the difference, but the full chaps really put a lot of pressure on my knees and made them sore. Without the full chaps, my knees are happy. And I don't have that scary, what am I going to do w/o my full chaps feeling when I have to go to a show and wear breeches and boots!

3 is the limit
Mar. 22, 2011, 07:59 PM
To TB1201, I have a CWD saddle and you make a good point about the leather wearing out sooner.

Also, horsepoor, never thought about the knee thing, so thanks for that.

My friend has some hobbyhorse (western) suede chaps that she'd be happy to loan me. They are a little big and have fringe (the horror LOL) on them. Do you think that could work if i had them fit to me and chopped off that horrible fringe?

Thanks again for the advice.

DMK
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Forgot to mention: Half chaps came in with the expensive French saddles. Those expensive saddles are made of really soft leather, and riding in jeans and chaps literally wear them out. So everybody started riding in breeches and half chaps.

So consider the type of saddle you have. If the leather is really soft, don't go with chaps. I have a Pessoa GenX. It's not an expensive saddle, but It's lasted longer than the chaps and is wearing beautifully.

Look at your saddle before you decide to go with full chaps.

And consider how light you are in the seat. For instance I have a butet. I ride in jeans and full chaps. The butet is a 1998 model and my only saddle. I won't say I ride a lot, but I have two horses and the only one that trains them is me, so I probably ride a decent amount for an ammy with a day job. ;)

Last year I replaced the seat in the butet, not so much because it needed it, but I had the bucks, it was a good time to send off the saddle and the panels needed replacing, and the seat probably would have needed it in a year or two. Or not. But the timing was good.

So there are no guarantees, even with a french saddle. But if you sit deep in the tack a lot, YMMV. But that may not have much to do with the chaps. ;)

Do you think that could work if i had them fit to me and chopped off that horrible fringe?Oh... the horrors. Fringe is IN, baby. Some of us may have paid damned good money for extra long/fine DOUBLE fringe with the under layer in metallic bronze. (http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2200/3302146/10616695/241482202.jpg) :lol:

Or as we say, riding TBs, wearing chaps and using a navajo pad: Rockin the Retro

horsepoor
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
My full chaps had fringe too, and I have fringe on my half chaps. The dressage folks where I have one of my horses kind of look at me in awe or horror (not sure which), but perfectly normal at the hunter barn!

Only thing with the western chaps, they usually aren't fitted enough to work for english riding -- they can bunch up or twist too much. But you could try them and see how it works.

horsepoor
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Some of us may have paid damned good money for extra long/fine DOUBLE fringe with the under layer in metallic bronze. (http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2200/3302146/10616695/241482202.jpg)

Just looked at the photo and love the fringe on these! My full chaps had a similar double fringe -- black and chestnut brown to match the chaps, then little pieces of white every so often for highlight. But I love the metallic...wonder if I could add some to my half chaps...hmmm...:)

heatherny2
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:57 PM
Oh, if I could fit into my custom, fringe full chaps..and be able to bend my legs..I would sooo wear them..bought by my mom back in the day when they were the "in" thing, custom colors, navy and gray mixed fringe, initials on the back and all (though my last initial has since changed due to marriage)..they are hanging on my shelf right now and so stiff they could probably walk on their own..:lol:
LOVED riding in them though!!

TheJenners
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Hoping this link works, I haven't used the album in a long while...

I have these (http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1469665871053838599YbuwUG), I don't wear them often and haven't worn them in at least a year. I didn't like the way the waist strap rode up my back when jumping, which you can see in the picture. Otherwise, great for breaking a cold wind!

As for the questions: no I don't, they are suede, and totally not custom. I think they are a medium? Which means they are a little too long, cover any spurs I might be wearing, and barely zip over my calves and thighs.

billiebob
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
1) No, I don't ride all the time in my full chaps. When I wear jeans or yoga pants, I wear the fulls. Even in 95 degree weather with 90% humidity. They are great for trails!

2) Mine aren't custom, rather Stateline Tack sale. I just found out one of our boarders could make me a custom pair that might not cost quite so much, so that may have to be my birthday present to myself :D

3) Black suede western chaps with fringe and silver conchos. Remember, Stateline sale. A good sale. They're a little goofy looking (see pic in sig line).

4) I didn't know I'd like full chaps. I figured it'd help save the inner leg seams on my favorite running tights--I don't always wear breeches to the barn.

5) The fit is OK, but finding anything to fit my legs properly is a challenge (big thighs and calves, smallish ankles and knees). I know a few normally shaped people who are quite happy with the English version of my chaps.

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:48 AM
1. I haven't ridden in mine in a long time -- since I became saddle-poor (read: got my CWD), I've only ridden in breeches and paddocks/half-chaps or tall boots, but before that I rode in them a lot, especially in the winter.

2. Mine came from Dover Saddlery; they're marked with the Dover stamp, so I'm not sure who actually made them.

3. They're very pretty -- a dark saddle tan suede with smooth saddle tan belt, brass fittings, and cream piping. (If I ever bought another pair, though, I'd be going in for some fringe, baby! What fun!)

4. I love the security you get from full chaps (although there really is an adjustment period when you go from those to breeches and boots for a show, yikes). They're wonderfully warm -- I miss being able to ride in them in the winter, but the thought of wearing out the saddle makes me even hotter under the collar. :D They do tend to stretch after years of wear, requiring alterations to keep them bunching up under your legs.

5. I bought mine as a reward after losing 22 lb. They were the tiniest bit snug when they came, but, years later, they really need those alterations I was talking about.

JumpWithPanache
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
I mostly ride in jeans and full chaps. Did pick up a pair of used Ariat half chaps and ride in those for lessons. I don't have a problem switching between full chaps and breeches though.
2) are yours custom
Mine are semi-custom from Barnstable through SmartPak. I picked the colors and options (black smooth leather, light pink trim, fringe, monogrammed inset on back belt) as well as a additional size choices.
Smooth leather. My first pair of full chaps were rough out stock chaps which turned smooth over time.
I got a cheaper off the rack option first and finally replaced them with the semi-customs. I love the extra stick that I can get from them, but didn't know anything about them before I just tried it.
I am happy with the way my chaps fit. As I mentioned, the semi-custom option is a good way to go if you really don't want / can't afford to shell out $$$ for fully custom. Great option in my opinion!

Thoroughbred1201
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:35 PM
Or as we say, riding TBs, wearing chaps and using a navajo pad: Rockin the Retro

LOL. Oh, do I remember that! (And I love the picture - cute horse!)

And yes, my chaps have fringe, and I WANTED it!

Thoroughbred1201
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
My full chaps had fringe too, and I have fringe on my half chaps. The dressage folks where I have one of my horses kind of look at me in awe or horror (not sure which), but perfectly normal at the hunter barn!

Only thing with the western chaps, they usually aren't fitted enough to work for english riding -- they can bunch up or twist too much. But you could try them and see how it works.

Oh, I don't know, I'm odd man out at both barns I ride at. Everybody else rides in breeches and half chaps or tall boots. Although, I have to say, I still get lots of compliments on them.

I used to tailor old western chaps to english. It's a matter of taking off the trim, taking them in, then replacing the trim. I did it alot in the 80s and 90s. You could find great western chaps for a song at the tack sales. I did a couple of pairs for my trainer, and you couldn't tell the difference from custom.

magnolia73
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:50 PM
No- I only use mine in the winter/fall/cold weather or when I think extra glue might help which is rare as my horse is lazy-mc-pokeypants.
2) are yours custom- yes, but I need them taken in- hooray for weight loss!
3) are yours leather or suede- smooth leather
4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on.- it was what we wore back in the olden days of TB's, appendixes, helmets with elastic chin straps....
5) if you don't have custom ones but off the rack ones, are you happy with the fit and feel customization isn't necessary- I had ill fitting chaps and they sucked. Chaps need to fit well or are uncomfortable.

3 is the limit
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:53 PM
Thank you COTHers! Your advice has been so helpful.

My area is really blessed that we have a master leather person right here. Guess orders for his work come in from all over the world! I'm going to get fitted for custom leather chaps on Saturday! I can't believe my husband is willing to spend more $$$ on this wacky habit of mine. :)

Lord Helpus
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
I have a pair of salmon colored chaps with fringe (NO they are NOT red; they are s-a-l-m-o-n!) :winkgrin:

Before this pair my chaps were the most gorgeous teal green with anthracite trim and snakeskin piping. (Leather and Lace -- love them.)

So, when ordering, keep in mind that chaps do not have to be tan. It is OK to express yourself.:yes:

PS: I have had chaps taken in and let out more often than I can count; a chaps maker can put in gussets to accommodate unfortunate weight increases, so not to worry if you eat a little too much at Christmas.:winkgrin: Most people who make chaps will include one refitting about 4 - 6 months after purchase, since all chaps stretch.

PPS: The first time you put on your new chaps, it should take 2 people and a spray bottle of water to get you into them. If they zip right up the first time, they are too big. :D

KateR
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:41 PM
Mine are suede, smooth now on the inside, bought off the rack for 27pounds when I was in England about 6 years ago. I didn't know if I would like them before I bought them, but I was sick of getting really cold legs in winter! The worst thing about them is that they bunch up around my knees, but its a good reminder not to grip with them! Custom ones would definately be more comfortable, but not worth it for the amount I use them.

bits619
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
I guess my question is:
2) are yours custom

Thanks in advance!

1) Recently, yes, but I will be miserable here- Georgia- in about a month or so, and shopping for either half chaps or tall boots
2) absolutely not, haha! They're 8-10 years old (hard to keep it straight) and are from State Line Tack.
3) Mine are a dark chocolatey suede but smooth now on the calves. I would get smooth if i were to buy a new pair in the future (which is possible, but not for a looooong time- these are still going very strong!)
4) Honestly... I haven't a clue what made me want them. Probably just wanting *every.thing* in the catalogs as a young rider. I think it was a christmas gift :) I probably wanted to be "cool" like the other barn girls haha! They were all riding in gym shorts and chaps. Donno that you'd find me doing that these days, ha! Especially to not have the stained legs afterwards...
5) My SLT ones are a Medium. I laugh at such a simple measurement because it seems like they 'should' need more accurate readings than that, but apparently mine fit almost perfectly. They probably fit better now than when i got them, as i've gained... well let's assume it's ALL muscle... since then.

Like them a lot and would wear them more often if they weren't so hot... but it does feel nice once you take them off in the summer!!
I honestly like the look of breeches and boots or breeches and half chaps plus paddocks the best... but in the winter, nothing beats those thick chaps- i would even wear them during the car ride to and from the barn!!

Mar. 23, 2011, 10:26 PM
I guess my question is:
2) are yours custom

1) No, only when it's cold
2) No, they are hand-me-downs, but were originally off-the-rack
3) Suede, but a nice, used, polished smooth leather now :-p
4) I did have a chance to try them on - big advantage of off-the-rack ;) they feel in the saddle similar to how they feel on the ground
6) yes, fit is fine - they are not for "fancy" riding anyway

Big point for me, at least - full chaps are STIFF. Think: tall boots that go up to your butt. Sure, they break in and have "give" in all the right places eventually, but they're never going to be as flexible as breeches. That's the main reason I don't wear them unless I need them for the warmth.

IMO full chaps are going to obscure a lot of position problems that will come out once you go back to boots. Also, full chaps (even smooth leather, I'd imagine) tend to be much "stickier" than breeches and boots. Again, easy to hide position problems.

Overall I'm glad I have mine! But I still like breeches and boots better.

RugBug
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:42 PM

Nope. I ride one horse in full chaps when the mood strikes me. The other I always ride in half chaps (he's also the one with the Delgrange custom saddle that I'm sure could stand the chaps...I just don't want to find out.)

2) are yours custom

Nope. They are silly off the shelf schoolers from Schneiders, I think. They were $59. I WANT customs, but I'm one of those that has a hard time switchin between full chaps and boots/breeches. It would be a waste to buy custom full chaps.

Cheesy black suede. If I were to go custom, I would do smooth leather.

First time I wore full chaps was when I was a pre-teen so I just did it because all the cool kids did. I can't imagine not liking them, though.

N'yah...but that's because they are cheesy, cheap ones. They are too loose through the calf because they are suppose to be western schoolers. But for the price,they work and fulfilled my 16 year old self's desire to have full chaps.

They are a little big and have fringe (the horror LOL) on them. Do you think that could work if i had them fit to me and chopped off that horrible fringe?

OMG, I just had a nightmare that someone cut the fringe off my cheesy cheap chaps. I woke up terrified. :lol: See, I had a pair of suede chaps as a kid, but no fringe...and fringe was IN. So the cheapies HAD to have fringe. I would never buy customs without fringe: the more, the longer, the better. :yes: :cool: :yes: I lurve the thwap, thwap, thwap of the fringe when you ride (but be careful, horsie might not appreciate it the first time or two. Ask me how I know. )

sanctuary
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have been riding in paddock boots and 1/2 chaps for the 5 years I've been riding. My trainer used to wear full chaps back in the day. About 3 years ago she switched to 1/2 chaps. Anyway, she was able to fit into her full chaps again and is riding in them. She thought I would improve my riding and sticking in the saddle if I got a pair.

Here is the rub: Custom chaps start around $450 here in LA. Since she and I are not nearly the same size, trying to ride in hers are not really an option.

I guess my question is:
2) are yours custom

Thanks in advance!

1: Depends on what I have on.

2: Nope, off the rack from the local tack shop

3: Smooth Leather, MUCH softer and more flexible than my old suede ones

Thanks for posting this! I'm the only one in the barn who wears full chaps. Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts. I LOVE them and they are my first choice. One day, I'll go custom.......

Bella'sMom
Mar. 24, 2011, 08:24 AM

No, 1/2 in the summer and full in the winter

2) are yours custom

Yes, Chuck Pinnell (both full and half)

Leather (WITH FRINGE!)

When I was a kid the only kind of chaps were full.....so I knew I'd love them. I took off 25 years for kids/family.

A girl at my barn is t.i.n.y and she got some semi custom from LL Bean and they fit her really well. I never would have expected she could go with anything other that custom....but hers are great!

MintHillFarm
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
1) do you ride all the time in the full chaps - Yes, year round. I am never hot in them but they are nice in the winter.

2) are yours custom - Yes, Journeymen - love them...

3) are yours leather or suede - Leather, smooth texture

4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on. - I have ridden in full chaps since I was in high school - never liked the 1/2 chaps (at all!)

As an fyi- I have a Butet and the leather is delicate so my jeans have made some light scuffs on the seat....

DMK
Mar. 24, 2011, 11:05 AM
mint hill, just because I spent some $$ replacing my seat and don't want it to look less than brand spanking new (and because I frequently go on 8-12 mile trail rides and spend hours in the saddle), I put a sheepskin seat saver on the saddle. It's REALLY nice on cold days not to plunk down on a cold seat, it's more comfy on the trails and it doesn't really bother me on warm days, so it started as a trail ride thing, now its moved t a "save my saddle" helper and I only take it off for shows, clinics, that sort of thing.

Spooks
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:19 PM
I wear mine only in the winter, because (1) they are nice and warm and fit over fleece breeches and (2) they fit over my winter paddock boots, which my half chaps will not.

I bought mine second hand for like $30, thinking they would be a useful thing to have for trail riding and such, but I ended up using them all winter so it was a very good value! I also appreciate the extra stick factor on Spring days when the snow is sliding off the arena roof and sending my TB into the stratosphere. Ditto for riding greenies.

They are a beige suede, no fringe, just plain English chaps. I don't really care what they look like.

I am happy with the fit. I don't think they are custom, and even if they are, they were customized for someone else. Keep in mind when you try them on that they will stretch a bit as you wear them in.

KPF
Mar. 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
do you ride all the time in the full chaps - Pretty much year round, though I do ride in half chaps some in the hottest part of summer

2) are yours custom - Yes, Journeymen

3) are yours leather or suede - smooth leather

4) how did you know you would like full chaps if you didn't have a chance to try them on. - I always rode in full chaps as a junior, everyone did. I'm proud to say that although it's not the "in" thing, about 5-6 people at the rated hunter barn where I take lessons wear them. Guess we're old skool. :)