PDA

View Full Version : Braided or laced reins?

Sunnydixie
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
Other than appearance, is there anything else to consider when deciding which to purchase? Are laced reins stronger?

Thanks for feedback.

Trakehner
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
Laced reins are lots stronger.

I was riding my guy in my new fancy French braided reins...he spooked forward in the indoor ring, I was pulling myself back in the saddle and the the braided part broke and mean Mr. Gravity kicked in big time.

Braided are lovely, go for laced.

Addison
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
Laced reins are easier to keep clean. I'm not sure which is stronger.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
If by braided you mean plaited, I love the way those reins feel in my hands, but I have no idea which ones are stronger. In the old days plaited reins were terribly hard to clean but now that we have so many liquid cleansers (Effax Leder Combi for example, one of my favorites) I imagine it is just as easy to keep them clean as laced reins. You rarely see braided reins any more, they don't seem to be in fashion, but I especially dislike the current trend of using laced reins on pelhams.

supershorty628
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
I think braided reins are easier to hang on to than laced reins when it's raining. I also think they're softer in your hand and more attractive. They seem to last longer than laced reins, too.

poltroon
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:39 PM
Laced reins are stronger but plaited reins are soft and will generally conform to your hand better.

Sing Mia Song
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:46 PM
I find plaited reins to be a bitch to hold onto in the rein. PITA to clean, too.

I remember when I was 14, I coveted a pair of plaits. I saved up all my allowance and chore money and bought a lovely pair from Dover, and I couldn't hold on to those suckers for nothin' when it rained or the horse got sweaty. They became a "spare set," and when a horse broke them almost 30 years later, I didn't replace them.

They were gorgeous, just beautiful, but not all that useful.

jen-s
Mar. 22, 2011, 04:08 PM
I much prefer braided/plaited over laced for the conforming to your hand issue already noted. I also think that braideds are easier to clean due to their flexibility vs the crevices on laced reins.

I had a lovely pair of braideds that went missing at my last barn, but to be fair, I left my stuff there to be used while I took a couple of years out of the saddle and any number of things could have happened to them. So if anyone has a pair that they aren't using, PM me and I'll gladly take them off of your hands...;):lol:

BeeHoney
Mar. 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
I love plaited reins. But, finding good quality ones is very, very difficult. It is much, much easier to find good quality laced reins. I wouldn't bother buying plaited reins from anything but a really high quality maker.

As for strength, I would guess that strength is commensurate with the quality, not one type over the other. I have two everyday pairs of plaited reins that are gorgeous and going strong and they are both over 30 years old. Everyone who touches them agrees they are the cats meow. I've not had any problems with grip in the rain, again, that probably has more to do with the individual leather they were made from.

If anyone knows of a good source for plaited reins, I'm all ears.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
If anyone knows of a good source for plaited reins, I'm all ears.

The Country Saddler has them http://www.thecountrysaddler.com/LEGACY.html if you don't mind spending almost $300 for them.

Hadfields also makes them, they are gorgeous, and equally expensive as Country Saddler, I almost bought a pair at HITS last summer. The Hadfields ones are very long though, they are apparently popular with the Quarter Horse people.

I think Dover has them as well, or they did not too long ago, don't know what the quality is like though.

PaintPony
Mar. 22, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have a pair of 15 year old plaited reins that I adore. After riding with them for so long I can't stand the laced reins anymore. I actually find them to have better grip, but they are harder to keep clean.

STA
Mar. 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
The laced reins are stronger than plaited reins. I have a pair of plaited reins form 1974. They have been around for a long time because I take good care of them and I use lace reins to school.
If you have a consignment shop in your area, try a pair of each and you will be able to make up your own mind about the difference in the two reins.

GypsyQ
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
Keep in mind, too, that plaited reins will stretch as they get oiled and broken in. I have seen them on short-necked horses where the byte of the reins is so long I was afraid for the rider's toes.

Napoles
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have both pairs at home and I must say I really dislike the plaited ones - they feel very bulky and awkward in my hands -hence I never use them. My laced reins are too old now (don't see them around as much). Generally (off the top of my head) apart from my double bridles all my reins on my bridles are rubber covered.

Trixie
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
BAC, I did NOT need to see that. :winkgrin:

Love the plaited ones, but only the good quality ones that are like butter. Cheap or unoiled ones are too rough.

Small Change
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
I don't like the look of the braided reins BAC posted, personally, but I do love a nice pair of plaited reins! I've got a pair I use daily that were handed down from my Nana and are probably older than I am. I did have to replace the buckle, but other than that, they're going strong.

Stubben (http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/Images/stuReins700x700.jpg) makes a relatively nice plaited rein for $160. Henri de Rivel (http://www.englishhabit.com/images/products/detail/5088.jpg) makes a pair for under $100 that might be worth a try too. I can't remember which company it is, but one of the high end lines makes a really nice pair, except that they're super long to accommodate the AQHA hunter people. I did ask Arc de Triomphe about replicating the ones I have currently, and they said it was doable. I bet the quality would be fantastic from them!

It's funny; I find a lot of the crappy Indian-made bridles come with plaited reins, but that they're tough to find from high quality brands except as special order. I think it's also important to buy ones that are one piece, from bit through the braid instead of the ones that have the braid sewn into the solid bit - those ones are notorious for breaking at entirely the wrong time!

Small Change
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:19 PM
On the same topic (and now that I'll spend the next while drooling over gorgeous reins!), has anyone ridden in single laced reins (http://www.mortack.com/gallery/Fgallery10-5.jpg)? What are they like to use?

BAC
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
I can't remember which company it is, but one of the high end lines makes a really nice pair, except that they're super long to accommodate the AQHA hunter people.

Those are Hadfields, as I mentioned in a previous post. They will custom make shorter ones though, but I was afraid to ask the cost. ;)

DMK
Mar. 23, 2011, 03:30 PM
As everyone already noted, plaited reins were a pain to clean, harder to hang on to when wet or sweaty and they just stretch for miles.